What's new

Roy Rogers in TruColor and Uncut (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
DeWilson said:
Well, Classic Media has the reworked package THE ROY ROGERS SHOW prepared by UPA in the 1980's - edited (on video) and new generic opening and ending (Color VT) of Roy at his Museum - they did the complete series that way. No word if the original,unedited elements exist - there's conjecture about that.
What are you talking about? Are you talking about transfers that could be released if they felt like it?

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
JoeDoakes said:
What are you talking about? Are you talking about transfers that could be released if they felt like it?
Same transfers they used for the home video releases in the 1990's

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Talk about a depressing read :(

Thanks for the link though; it was informative and enlightening.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
trailofrobinhoodphotoalbum.jpg

I (tended) to breeze through the article but if I understood it correctly some of the latter 1950 produced entries like NORTH OF THE GREAT DIVIDE (1950) and THE TRAIL OF ROBIN HOOD (1950) are intact. If so, then release these on DVD in glorious (and restored) TRUCOLOUR!

I often wondered why the 1951 output went back to mundane black-and-white production but diminishing returns and interest (predictably) account for this.

Jeff T.

:D

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I don't think Roy Rogers had any loss in popularity that contributed to his last five movies being made in black and white. He was still the number one movie cowboy in polls.More likely was, that, in 1950, when the last five were made, Republic already knew Roy was not going to renew his contract and decided to save money and promotion of Rogers product by finishing the last contracted series in black and white.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
As the receipts on the Rogers films started to decline due to competition from television, Republic ceased making Roy's films in color. His last four films were all released in black and white, with more spartan production values.

Well I reread it and it confirms exactly what I related on both counts.

Jeff T.

:rolleyes:

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I noticed on Amazon that The Film Detective label is putting out a bunch of Roy Rogers films . Has anyone bought any of the film Detective Rogers films? Are they decent prints or uncut ? I might give one or two a try . But I'm not sure if they are the same prints that other labels have been using or not .

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just looked them up on Amazon. There are 12 releases, all the correct run times and 3 are in color (Springtime in the Sierras-75min, Under California Stars-70 min and Bells of San Angelo-78 min) and cost $10 ea. I already have all 12 of them on DVD, so if I had to pick one to see how it was, I'd go with Springtime in the Sierras from 1950 @ 67 minutes running time...which I just did. Should see it in about 3 days and report back.

I have 25 of his movies out of 87 that he was the star in. If I buy the Roy Rogers Collection/Roy Rogers Ultimate Collection, that would add another 23 out of the 47 (doubles) that both of those collections offer. It would cost to much money to get the other 33, so I'm going to call it quits on collecting good old Roy.

If my calculations are correct, 6 of his movies (Jeepers Creepers '39, Brazil '44, Lake Placid Serenade '44, The Golden Stallion '49, Sunset in the West '50 and Pals of the Golden West '51) that he was in the starring role have not been released on DVD.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Thanks for the information on the Rogers titles . I'm interested in your opinion of Springtime in the Sierras . If it looks ok i'll give a couple a try .

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I'll have it this Monday, do a compare and post my findings. This will tell us if it's worth the other 11 they have for sale. None of the reviews on Amazon are for any of those 12.

I forgot that I almost bought the Film Chest version, which could be this version...since the same guy started both companies!

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
John Sparks said:
Just looked them up on Amazon. There are 12 releases, all the correct run times and 3 are in color (Springtime in the Sierras-75min, Under California Stars-70 min and Bells of San Angelo-78 min) and cost $10 ea. I already have all 12 of them on DVD, so if I had to pick one to see how it was, I'd go with Springtime in the Sierras from 1950 @ 67 minutes running time...which I just did. Should see it in about 3 days and report back.

I have 25 of his movies out of 87 that he was the star in. If I buy the Roy Rogers Collection/Roy Rogers Ultimate Collection, that would add another 23 out of the 47 (doubles) that both of those collections offer. It would cost to much money to get the other 33, so I'm going to call it quits on collecting good old Roy.

If my calculations are correct, 6 of his movies (Jeepers Creepers '39, Brazil '44, Lake Placid Serenade '44, The Golden Stallion '49, Sunset in the West '50 and Pals of the Golden West '51) that he was in the starring role have not been released on DVD.

I now have 51 out of 87 movies that he starred in, 6 not out and that leaves me with 30 to get, which I'm not going to.

Should have the Film Detective version to-day to A&B.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Bob Furmanek said:
Here's a page that I put together last year on the status of the lost color features: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/roy-rogers-in-trucolor

Was Trucolor much like Cinecolor?

Are any of the Trucolor or Cinecolor movies out on DVD or Blu-ray

that were restored from

separate scans of the original elements

and

recombined digitally ?

Finally, do you know what method is being used for "The Cariboo Trail" restoration that is coming to Blu-ray from Kino?

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
John Sparks said:
I now have 51 out of 87 movies that he starred in, 6 not out and that leaves me with 30 to get, which I'm not going to.

Should have the Film Detective version to-day to A&B.

I'm looking forward to hearing how it looks and sounds - and (hopefully) confirmation that is is uncut.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Well, just got it and it says, "Restored from the original, rare 16mm archive print and digitally remastered." And is 75 min. long which is the correct running time.

Tomorrow it gets viewed and I'll report back!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks