What's new

Roy Rogers in TruColor and Uncut (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Originally Posted by Bob Gu
That Bridgestone "Springtime" release is not actually described as being a color print, just uncut.
The Bridgestone VHS of Springtime In the Sierras arrived today. The front of the box proclaims "Original Uncut Theatrical Version." On the back, the fine print confirms it runs 75 minutes. However, I clocked the film at 53 minutes and 19 seconds from the opening logo to the fade to black at end. That makes a liar out of the cover art. I had a hunch that would be case when the film began with the "MCA TV" logo. It is in monochrome instead of TruColor. The transfer would be excellent if it didn't have the blurring and tearing that comes with the cheap, slow EP speed. Bridgestone has at least of dozen Roy Rogers titles in this uniform set. I emailed several marketplace sellers a short list of questions about several titles. A waste of time, probably.

Avoid the Bridgstone tapes.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Gordon "Wild Bill" Elliott started out in the '30s playing small parts, and graduated to his first starring role in the Columbia Serial "The Great Adventures Of Wild Bill Hickok". The "Wild Bill" name carried over to his Columbia B-Western series where he played "Will Bill Saunders" and the name stuck.
Republic Home Video released "Hellfire" on VHS (and maybe his other Trucolor "The Last Bandit" too). My boot copies of these two are pretty soft, with "Hellfire" looking too red and "The Last Bandit" looking too blue. Your off cable copy probably looks better than the tape since I think Republic or Spelling did start refurbishing the Trucolors in the mid-'90s based on a couple of Rod Cameron Trucolors I seen from TV and, I hope , those VHS releases in the Sepia boxes, like "Sunset In The West".
Republic Home Video, released Five Elliotts in a non-boxed set, two B's "Bordertown Gunfighters", "Death Valley Manhunt", and three of his bigger budget titles, "The Fabulous Texan", "Wyoming" and "The Plainsman and the Lady". The "Lady" in the title refers to the evil step-mother, to Vera Ralston, played by Gail Patrick who later became the producer of the Perry Mason TV series.
Republic also released on VHS/ SUPER SLP, Elliotts first and last movies for Republic, "Calling Wild Bill Elliott" and "Showdown", which is similar to "Hellfire", with it's solid storytelling and religious theme, even though it's probably the most set-bound Republic western ever made. It's still a top-notch western.
I'm surprised at how many Wild Bill Elliott westerns are out there. I thought he was obscure. VCI offers a lot of his films including the Red Ryder series. I thought Red Ryder referred to a toy B.B. gun. A shame he didn't do more Trucolor films. I find a listing for Hellfire. Prices start at $48, so I'll skip that and live with my off-air recording. Was Brimstone (1949) one of the Rod Cameron Trucolors you referred to?

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The "Under California Skies" I have seen all seem to be uncut . The "Bells of San Angelo" times-out to uncut but in the four examples, (Millcreek, VCI, Sinister VHS, and unknown VHS), I have seen there's a problem at the same point in the movie where it's jumpy and there are slightly different bits missing and posibly a song. But that's what's out there.

Can you advise which Under California Stars I should get? How many editions do you have?

Sounds like the various releases of The Bells of San Angelo all come from the same source. I wonder what that source was. Which of your copies offers the best picture quality? which one do you watch most often?

Were some of the Republic Trucolor tapes reissued in EP mode? Trail of Robin Hood arrived in EP mode. It's blurry and tearing.

Friends tell me the thrift store across the highway sells hundreds and hundreds of old VHS tapes. Piles and stacks. The tapes sell for .50 to $1. I'll go take a look tomorrow (Saturday) to see what they may have of this stuff.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Richard, I took a closer look at the "Under California Stars" and "Bells Of San Angelo" copies I have, I guess I would recommend the Mill Creek/Treeline 2004 WESTERN CLASSICS 50 Movie Pack (DVD) because of the runtime: of "Under California Stars" It is 72 minutes: 18 seconds and looks clean and sharpe. Bells of San Angelo is 75 minutes:18 seconds looks good too, but has the same problems all the releases of this title I have seen, little bits missing and blurry long shots. Plus, there is a 78 mins:37 secs version of "My Pal Trigger"on this set too. Reference book runtime is 79 mins for "My Pal Trigger".
On the VCI DVD double feature: "UCS" runs 69 mins:40 secs, "Bells" runs 75 mins:23 secs. These also look clean and sharpe, But "Bells" has its' usual problems This would be a good choice too if it were not for the runtime of the Mill Creek/Treeline version.
Sinister VHS: "Bells" ran 74 mins.:3 secs. Looks nice for VHS but is very orange and the Bells in the openning credits are not swinging as they are in my three other versions. Sinister VHS "UCS" ran 69 mins:26 secs. looks better than "Bells" but I'd stck with the DVD releases with these two. ( I also have a SLP speed VHS Diamond release of "Bells" which runs 75 mins: 12 secs., and is the worst looking of the bunch. The reference runtime of "Bells" is 78 minutes.
Now the reference book runtime of "Under California Stars" is 70 minutes. I checked the Mill Creek/Treeline disc on two players and both said 72 minutes: 18 seconds. I am not set up to compare my two "UCS" DVDs side-by-side.
All of my Roy Rogers SP mode Trucolor VHS were from 1991. I don't know about the reissues, what's it say on the box. The two Wild Bill Elliott EP tapes had a 1992 Republic copyright, Beatrice St address, on the box and a blue label with recording dates on the spine of the tape itself of with Mar and Oct 1993. The five tape Elliott set was, VHS SP, a Republic/Spelling release but no year was listed on the boxes and no street address either. (There was also a Republic Rex Allen VHS set out about the same time, I did not buy it, but I don't remember what year.)
Things to look for at the Thrift Store: Other Republic Trucolors out on VHS that I have are "Ride the Man Down" with Rod Cameron on the NTA label and "The Outcast" with John Derek, on Republic Home Video. Both very good movies. NTA was the company that had the rights to the Republic catalog. NTA later started using the Republic name on their video releases. Rebublic also released some Joel McCrea movies on VHS, I don't no if any of them are now on DVD: "South Of St Louis", Ramrod" and "Four Faces West".
Yes, Brimstone was one of the Trucolor Rod Cameron movies I was talking about, the other was The Plunderers. There's is a local station that has been showing Republic westerns on and off for years. That's where I discovered Rod Cameron and Bill Elliott westerns. I originally taped black and white versions of Brimstone,The Outcast, Ride the Man Down, and Hellfire. Later I was able to find color versions of the second two on VHS from Movies Unlimited and was able to copy Hellfire from a rental copy, and buy a nice bootleg of Brimstone, that must have been from cable.. That station's secondary digital station, still shows Republics sometimes, but I can't figure out their schedule, it's only online and usually says, Movie: to be announced. I stumbled on The Plunderers last year and taped it. But I don't really want to get involved with recording stuff off air.
If VCI's 60% off HOLIDAYSALE is still going on, at their site, now would be a good time to pick up the Red Ryder DVDs. 11 Double Features and 1 triple feature. Only the two Jim Bannon Red Ryders in Vol 3 are in color (he did four in color).
I received the Republic/Spelling VHS 1998 release of "Don't Fence Me In" today and it has the same sepia box design as "Sunset in the West". "Don't Fence Me In", was in SP and ran 70 mins: 47 secs, close enough to the reference book run time of 71 minutes to suit me. The print was not as nice as I had hoped but it was way more complete and nicer looking than my second generaton off cable copy. The sound went from really nice, to kind of muffled, to kind of loud . But I am satisfied to finally get an uncut copy of this really fun Roy and Dale movie.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I mentioned, upthread, the uncut "The Cowboy and the Senorita", that the Roy Rogers family website was no longer selling at royrogers.com.
I found a small picture, online, of the family releases' box art on a Roy Rogers fan page, which uses the "Cowboy and the Senorita" cover to illustrate a list of all 28 Roy Rogers movies Dale Evans co-starred in. http://www.rocknvswranch.com/rvswr_rr-de.html
"The Cowboy and the Senorita" was the first movie Dale Evans co-starred in with Roy Rogers. It also features peppy teen singer Mary Lee who also appeared in some Gene Autry movies.
I have two versions of "The Cowboy and the Senorita", one on slp VHS from Front Row Video, that runs 54 mins: 24 secs, and a 51 mins: 23 secs. version on the Mill Creek/Treeline set. The reference book runtime for "The Cowboy and the Senorita" is 78 minutes.
At this point I think the uncut version should have made its' way to the public domain publishers.
Alpha has a double-feature of "Cowboy and the Senorita" paired with "Under Nevada Skies", but only lists the runtime as a combined total. I will probably pick this up, to see if it's the long version, the next time Alpha/oldies.com has a $3.99 sale.
I received the Republic/Spelling/ 1998 SP VHS release of "Rainbow Over Texas", and it was a nice complete print that hit the uncut reference book runtime of 65 minutes. "Rainbow" was a Rogers title that I had never seen before.
So far, I have three of the Republic /Spelling/Artisan VHS releases with the sepia style Republic/ Spelling/ Artisan box art. "Rainbow Over Texas" and "Sunset in the West" had Artisan and Spelling listed at the start of the tape, and Spelling title and copyright information printed directly on the cassette. "Don't Fence Me In" just had Republic Home Video title and copy right on a printed paper label and no Artisan/Spelling on the opening moments of the tape.
So these sepia box releases must have be the Republic Home Video pipeline when Spelling Entertainment took over.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Well, back again. Today I received "Heart Of The Rockies". Another sepia boxed VHS Republic/Spelling 1998 release.
The tape was sealed and the box was in pristine condition. The runtime is listed on the box at the uncut 67 minutes. Nice, but tiny, stills from the movie on the box too. But wait a minute! The tape is a T-55! Oh well I guess it is cut.. I play the tape and I see The Three Mesquiteers!! Oh a trailer! That's nice. No it is not a trailer!!! It is a Three Mequiteers movie also titled, "Heart Of The Rockies"??!!!!.
I check back on the Amazon reviews for this, and sure enough someone mentioned that the Rogers version is not in the box, although it is labeled on the cassette as the Rogers movie. I did not notice this review when I ordered.
Could the whole run of this title be wrong??
I think this is pretty funny and I am going to keep this wrong movie, I like The Three Mesquiteers and didn't have this one. Also, now I have another nice box for the 64 plus min. version of Roy's "Heart of the Rockies" I had from Sinister Cinema.
Even as long ago as 1998, the persnickity young whipper-snappers working at Republic Home Video, could not tell the difference between Roy Rogers and Trigger and Max Terhune and Elmer.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The 2011 TCM Classic Film Festival will include a Roy Rogers tribute for his 100th Birthday. It would be nice to believe that this publicity might presage some better treatment of his work on DVD. Ideally, the best film elements from the Republic vault and the Roy and Dale's Happy Trails Theater introductions would be joined. However, probably the best we can hope for is that the Rogers library is released on a future MOD format from Paramount and the Happy Trails Theater introductions are released all together on a DVD from a Rogers family licensee. Roy Rogers is really undercut by so much of his work being in the public domain (I am sure it reduces the profit potential of Rogers releases and it makes marketing them more difficult as they have to stick out from the pack). For Roy Rogers, public domain hell has real meaning.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Your are right, Ray. Were there any other movie series that were this badly treated, by chopping them up for early TV?
I always thought, Republic and Roy Rogers should have joined together, to get Roy's movies out on home video, at the time the Roy Rogers restaurants were popular in the eighties. It was a great missed opportunity for cross-promotion. Not only do I wish there were better Roy Rogers DVDs out, I still miss those Roy Rogers roast beef sandwiches, and the Double-R Burgers.
I watched my latest sepia boxed Republic/Spelling VHS editions.
"Sunset In Eldorado" looked very nice, but even though the box and tape listed a running time of 66 minutes, it was actually 53 minutes or so. My old no name budget brand VHS was also 53 min. My reference book say 65 minutes.
"Along the Navajo Trail", looked a little rough in spots but seems uncut at 66 minutes:15 seconds. The reference book runtime is 66 minutes. The box and tape list it at 60 mins. It is missing the original Republic logo at the start of the picture. On the other Republic/Spelling release, an Artisan logo comes onscreen first, followed by the color Republic Eagle with a Spelling notation, and then the movie starts with the original period Republic logo.
I didn't have "Along The Navajo Trail" so this was nice to get. (The Alpha edition has a listed runtime of 62 minutes.)
With these longer versions there are more musical numbers. In "Along the Navajo Trail", the Son of the Pioneers sing, "Cool Water".
We also see more of the Republic dancing girls. The studio had a group six or eight dancers under contract and augmented them with other dancers as needed.
It's really hard to really establish the proper runtimes for these Roy Rogers movies available. A movie can seem to run the reference book time, but still be missing a scene or two. And what about the end credits. Some of the Rogers movies out there stop at "The End" and others have longer credits showing the cast and technical credits.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Originally Posted by JoeDoakes
The 2011 TCM Classic Film Festival will include a Roy Rogers tribute for his 100th Birthday. It would be nice to believe that this publicity might presage some better treatment of his work on DVD. Ideally, the best film elements from the Republic vault and the Roy and Dale's Happy Trails Theater introductions would be joined. However, probably the best we can hope for is that the Rogers library is released on a future MOD format from Paramount and the Happy Trails Theater introductions are released all together on a DVD from a Rogers family licensee. Roy Rogers is really undercut by so much of his work being in the public domain (I am sure it reduces the profit potential of Rogers releases and it makes marketing them more difficult as they have to stick out from the pack). For Roy Rogers, public domain hell has real meaning.
From what I hear, the last TCM Classic Film Festival was a class act. TCM gave attention to each film, making sure they obtained the best prints. If anyone can do justice to Roy Rogers, TCM will.

I see what you mean regarding public domain hell. I have now sampled several DVDs in the "Happy Trails Theatre" series put out by Good Times Video. The films appear to be transferred from second or third generation 16mm dupes, dim, muddy, teary, dirty and with tinny sound. Also, they are cut, and sometimes not even professionally cut, with big chunks of footage hacked out of them, causing abrupt jumps and rendering story continuity senseless. The recently-taped intros and outros by Roy and Dale are used to pad out the running time. So the cover art is accurate with respect to running time, but the running time seems to refer to the entire program, not the film itself. There is no option on the menus for watching "Happy Trails Theatre" separately. It is mandatory when you press play. So you have to watch the film bracketed between chats whether you want to or not. The chats are also used to give the misleading impression that Roy and Dale endorse the DVD. This describes the only one I bought, Out California Way (1946), which is at least in Trucolor. Apparently the "Happy Trails Theatre" series is sourced from the same transfers as the previous Good Times Video releases, the "Best of the West" series. I believe there were about 32 titles in that series. Instead of improving the quality of the transfers, Good Times changed the cover art and added the "Happy Trails Theatre" chats. I find both series unwatchable. Even in the earliest days of VHS, these transfers would not be up to professional standards. The fact that the Good Time Video DVDs are issued with the co-operation of the Roy Rogers family makes it all the more unfortunate for the fans.

In contrast, Republic's VHS tapes indicate the Roy Rogers catalog has been well-maintained. Lionsgate / Republic's DVD of Bells of Coronado (1950) is clean and sharp with nicely balanced Trucolor. It is not a progressive transfer however, and has severe interlacing. I would like to see Lionsgate / Republic issue the Roy Rogers films in progressive transfers, as double-features and in pairings that make sense. If they would talk to Roy Rogers' family and arrive at a fair deal, that would be nice. Then perhaps all these inferior products would be taken off the market. Nothing destroys the legacy of a star and a role model more effectively than flooding the market with an inferior product that makes him look like a cheat.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Bob Gu said:
... to look for at the Thrift Store: Other Republic Trucolors out on VHS that I have are "Ride the Man Down" with Rod Cameron on the NTA label and "The Outcast" with John Derek, on Republic Home Video. Both very good movies. NTA was the company that had the rights to the Republic catalog. NTA later started using the Republic name on their video releases. Rebublic also released some Joel McCrea movies on VHS, I don't no if any of them are now on DVD: "South Of St Louis", Ramrod" and "Four Faces West".
You're not going to believe this, but the Thrift Store had videotapes piled up to the ceiling. Literally piled up to the ceiling. But there were no westerns. Not one single western (except for a few copies of the recent Mask of Zorro and After the Fall). The woman who runs the place told me the westerns are probably culled out before the tapes are sent in.

There is a very nice DVD of Four Faces West, which I recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/Four-Faces-West-Joel-McCrea/dp/B00009NH9T/ref=pd_bxgy_d_img_a

The transfer is good. You'd enjoy the short novel by Eugene Manlove Rhodes, which is inspired in part by an actual incident involving Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid that happened near where the author lived in New Mexico. While you're at it, don't overlook another Joel McCrea classic, Stranger On Horseback (UA 1955):

http://www.amazon.com/Stranger-Horseback-Walter-S-Baldwin/dp/B001CR4966/ref=pd_bxgy_d_img_b

The transfer could stand improvement, but it is sourced from the only surviving AnscoColor print held by the BFI.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I took and chance and ordered the "San Fernando Valley" from your link. Hope it turns out to be the Republic release or at least a longer VCI version than the one I bought on Sinister Cinema DVD-R. Sinister's version really had a lot of plot, and comedy missing. I became interested in "San Fernando Valley", when one of the stars, Jean Porter, wrote a letter to Classic Images about the movie. Imagine my disappointment when the funny story points she described were not on the Sinister cut version.
I, too, Richard, like the thirties to mid-forties Rogers movies a little better than the Trucolors. The earlier Rogers had the more familiar popular cowboy tunes, Gabby Hayes, The Sons of the Pioneers, dozens of riders in the final shootouts, and even those "Oklahoma" style musical numbers with the Republic dancing girls. (The Rogers and even some of the Autry's of this time-frame had this screwball comedy thing mixed in with the regular singing cowboy action too.)
The Trucolors were good in their own way. They had color. The fistfights were tougher, (Bells of San Angelo), and the murders were creepier ( The Far Frontier). In "Under California Stars" the ending was interesting. When the badguy is dying and saying his last words to Roy, the camera is on Roy's reaction or non-reaction as each viewer interprets it. Unusual stuff.
The fact that western VHS titles are being culled out from thrift stores, I guess, is a good sign that there is still a market for, and interest in old westerns.
I have "Stranger on Horseback". "Four Faces West" is famous for being a western in which no shots are fired. There are a few nice Joel McCrea westerns available on the Warner Brothers Archive.
I'd like to mention the Randolph Scott "Albuquerque" DVD from Universal as a nice example of restored (two color) Cinecolor.
I have ordered the Roan DVD double feature of "Heldorado" and "In Old Cheyenne". Heldorado is supposed to be uncut. My old VHS of Heldorado is cut.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Bob Gu said:
I have ordered the Roan DVD double feature of "Heldorado" and "In Old Cheyenne". Heldorado is supposed to be uncut. My old VHS of Heldorado is cut.
Let us know if it's uncut. I need to get that next. By the way, the Roan Group also released the best DVD's I've seen of Vengeance Valley (1951) with Burt Lancaster and Rage at Dawn (1955) with Randolph Scott sourced from original 35mm dye-transfer prints. Not the cleanest looking, but enjoyable, and you get to see the same rich Technicolor audiences experienced when the films were new.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
In regards to Gabby Hayes: "Yer durn tootin'"! Not only is Gabby great with Roy Rogers, he is also great with Hopalong Cassidy, Wild Bill Elliott, and Randolph Scott. (Although, with Hoppy I also like sidekicks Andy "California" Clyde and the underated Britt "Speedy" Wood.)
Speaking of singing cowboys, one of my favorite Hopalong Cassidy movies, "Stagecoach War" has singing badguys, played by The Kingsmen, also known as the Ken Darby Singers, who performed the background vocals on, The Adventures of Jim Bowie, and The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp,TV series.
Thanks, for "The Rage at Dawn" 35 mm tip. I have black and white and color VHS "collector" versions of "Gunfighters". I think Alan LeMay was involved in that one too. "Coroner Creek" was actually released on VHS officially by Columbia/Tristar Home Video, in Cinecolor. I expect these and other Scott Columbia westerns will be showing up on the Sony Mod program. I just pre-ordered, (with that Roan Heldorado), the Sony Mod "The Nevadan", another Scott Cinecolor, that was previously released, in the '80s, licenced to Goodtimes, in black and white, LP/VHS mode. (I ordered the new Mod "Nevadan" from DeepDiscount,to save a ittle, but I don't really expect to get it anytime soon since three Sony Mods I ordered during the November sale have not shipped yet. DeepDiscount has the lowest price on the Sony Mods, but I am guessing the sites that charge more may be getting their orders filled first.)
Other Scott westerns I like to see from the WB Archive are the "Bounty Hunter" and "Sugarfoot", both in color. "Sugarfoot" had a change of title to "Swirl of Glory" to avoid confusion with the WB "Sugarfoot" TV series, and also features characters that speak with an odd formality.
Back in the last gasp days of regular broadcast stations showing blocks of public domain movies, "Vengence Valley" and "The Sundowners" and maybe "High Lonesome" were on all the time and I caught bits and pieces of them. I think "The Sundowners" was Jack Elam's first movie. I think two of the three are on that Mill Creek set. It's good to know there are nice DVDs of them out there.
As a side note, Alpha has on DVD, Republic's "The Bold Caballero", 1936, 67 minutes, and in color. Significent because it's the first color Republic movie, the first sound Zorro movie, and the first color Zorro movie. I have had it awhile, but have not watched it recently and it is not at hand, so I can't comment on the picture quality, but the customers at oldies.com give it four stars.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
cd9e3e33_ArizonaLittleHollywood.jpg

Everybody who loves old westerns will want to read Arizona's Little Hollywood: Sedona and Northern Arizona's Forgotten Film History 1923–1973 by Joe McNeill. 680 pages detailing the remarkable film history in northern Arizona. You can buy it on amazon or check out the blog here:

http://arizonaslittlehollywood.blogspot.com/

I will post more about it in the Movies section.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Bob Gu wrote: said:
/forum/thread/306552/roy-rogers-in-trucolor-and-uncut/30#post_3764345
As a side note, Alpha has on DVD, Republic's "The Bold Caballero", 1936, 67 minutes, and in color. Significent because it's the first full color Republic movie, the first sound Zorro movie, and the first color Zorro movie. I have had it awhile, but have not watched it recently and it is not at hand, so I can't comment on the picture quality, but the customers at oldies.com give it four stars.
I bought The Bold Caballero recently. The film is a delightful surprise. Love the early color. Evidently Johnston McCulley took a hand in it. I wonder if this is the type of film he had in mind when he wrote the original Zorro novel The Curse of Capistrano in 1919. Alpha's transfer could be better. I may check out other editions if there are any.

Bob, have you seen one single Good Times Video DVD, either in their Best of the West series or Happy Trails Theater series, that is complete, uncut, and a good quality transfer? If they did one Roy Rogers title right, I'll buy it.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I received my "San Fernando Valley" and it was the uncut 1992 Republic Pictures Home Video VHS release pictured at your Amazon link. The seller I used does not have one listed today, but three out of the five listing the title tonight specifically identify it as the official Republic release.
"Tall in The Saddle" is a fun movie, and of course low-tech me still has the VHS. I still have a bunch of John Wayne movies on commercial VHS and VHS dubs from CED discs, and off air recordings. The only Wayne movies I have bought on DVD are "The High and the Mighty" and "Island in the Sky", plus some old Wayne westerns that happen to be on the Mill Creek sets. I will probably upgrade my Waynes to DVD someday and I think they will always be in print or at least easy to get. I think there have even been some quadruple-features Wayne DVD releases recently.
Randolph Scott, on the other hand, I have been re-collecting on DVD. Re: another Scott Triple Feature: In addition to "Bounty Hunter" and "Sugarfoot", another Warner Brothers unreleased Scott is "Shoot-Out at Medicine Bend". ("Rage at Dawn" was an RKO, so maybe WB still has some interest in releasing it?)
Two of the 20th Century Fox Scott Cinecolors were out on VHS: "Canadian Pacific", from a company called StudioMasters/Morningstar Entertainment, and "The Cariboo Trail" from Fries Home Video. "The Cariboo Trail" was Gabby Hayes last movie. A third Scott Cinecolor Fox was "Fighting Man of the Plains" and a black and white version, with so-so picture quality and sound that drops out for a bit, has been released in Spain. There's a US seller on amazon that sells it. It appears to be the only version available.
Re: DeepDiscount: I did just receive an apology/notification that my missing three Sony Mods will ship within 21 days. But no mention of a fourth non-mod title that also has not shipped. But the other items in that original order I did receive quickly. I even actually received a pre-order on release day, which hasn't happened in a long time even with Amazon. On that pre-order I even got them to give me the Nov. lower sale price. It took two e-mails and a ten day wait, before someone approved it.
I had a B&W smeary VHS of "The Bold Caballero" for a long time, and it was a treat to find Alpha had a color print. I knew it existed because they used color clips from it in "The Republic Pictures Story" documentary.
I don't own any Good Times DVDs. I did have a "Happy Trails" VHS box that stated Roy and Dale introduced the movie, but the tape of the movie was just the movie.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I received my "San Fernando Valley" and it was the uncut 1992 Republic Pictures Home Video VHS release pictured at your Amazon link. The seller I used does not have one listed today, but three out of the five listing the title tonight specifically identify it as the official Republic release.
"Tall in The Saddle" is a fun movie, and of course low-tech me still has the VHS. I still have a bunch of John Wayne movies on commercial VHS and VHS dubs from CED discs, and off air recordings. The only Wayne movies I have bought on DVD are "The High and the Mighty" and "Island in the Sky", plus some old Wayne westerns that happen to be on the Mill Creek sets. I will probably upgrade my Waynes to DVD someday and I think they will always be in print or at least easy to get. I think there have even been some quadruple-features Wayne DVD releases recently.
Randolph Scott, on the other hand, I have been re-collecting on DVD. Re: another Scott Triple Feature: In addition to "Bounty Hunter" and "Sugarfoot", another Warner Brothers unreleased Scott is "Shoot-Out at Medicine Bend". ("Rage at Dawn" was an RKO, so maybe WB still has some interest in releasing it?)
Two of the 20th Century Fox Scott Cinecolors were out on VHS: "Canadian Pacific", from a company called StudioMasters/Morningstar Entertainment, and "The Cariboo Trail" from Fries Home Video. "The Cariboo Trail" was Gabby Hayes last movie. A third Scott Cinecolor Fox was "Fighting Man of the Plains" and a black and white version, with so-so picture quality and sound that drops out for a bit, has been released in Spain. There's a US seller on amazon that sells it. It appears to be the only version available.
Re: DeepDiscount: I did just receive an apology/notification that my missing three Sony Mods will ship within 21 days. But no mention of a fourth non-mod title that also has not shipped. But the other items in that original order I did receive quickly. I even actually received a pre-order on release day, which hasn't happened in a long time even with Amazon. On that pre-order I even got them to give me the Nov. lower sale price. It took two e-mails and a ten day wait, before someone approved it.
I had a B&W smeary VHS of "The Bold Caballero" for a long time, and it was a treat to find Alpha had a color print. I knew it existed because they used color clips from it in "The Republic Pictures Story" documentary.
I don't own any Good Times DVDs. I did have a "Happy Trails" VHS box that stated Roy and Dale introduced the movie, but the tape of the movie was just the movie.
Paramount has been discontinuing their John Waynes. Already gone are El Dorado, The Shootist, Donovan's Reef, Hatari, and In Harm's Way. You might want to prioritize Paramount titles.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Richard--W said:
(1944) opposite John Wayne. There's an exchange where all he has to say is "Yeah? Uh-huh!" but there's so much going on inside his head as he says it, his delivery just walks away with the film.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I'm not sure which sidekick Pat Brady is. Was he with Gene Autry?
I realize audiences expected the sidekick to be a clown in singing cowboy movies, but I always found them more irritating than funny. Gabby Hayes is different, though.

JoeDoakes said:
Paramount has been discontinuing their John Waynes. Already gone are El Dorado, The Shootist, Donovan's Reef, Hatari, and In Harm's Way. You might want to prioritize Paramount titles.
Good point, and I second the advice. Actually, only a couple of John Wayne's Paramount titles remain in print. There is a fixed inventory on most titles, and as those run out, watch for the prices to go up because Paramount is not keeping them in print. The same is true for Wayne's RKO titles, some have been re-released as double- and triple-features. I was never in a hurry to get them all because they were always around, but that is no longer the case.

I bought Mill Creek's 20-movie John Wayne set because it collects most of his 1930s programmers. The quality turned out to be so bad it was hardly worth paying $5 at Walmart. I need to find his 1930s programmers in good quality with the original soundtracks. There are many different editions. Any suggestions?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Pat Brady = Roy

Pat Buttram = Gene

FWIW, I really liked both and loved Pat Brady in the TV series....Nellybelle and all :)

The biggest mystery to me is how Pat Buttram, who was definitely not known for matinee idol looks,landed Sheila Ryan as his wife (they were married over 20 years until her untimely death). She was gorgeous. He must have been quite the charmer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks