What's new

Roy Orbison - Recommendations Wanted (1 Viewer)

John Milton

Second Unit
I've been having a difficult time finding a single or double disc set of Orbison's best songs that isn't composed or live or re-recorded versions. Does anyone know of a good disc or disc set which includes the original studio singles? Thanks in advance.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I have "The All-Time Greatest Hits of Roy Orbison" as well and it is very good but includes only releases before 1973.

Chris

John Milton

Second Unit
According to the reviews at Amazon that set has some re-recordings. I'm trying to find the original versions. ;)

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

The compilation I mentioned does that. I am also going to order "Black and White Nights" on DVD/DVD-A to get live recordings since it is getting great reviews.

Chris

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
To clarify, I mean the compilation "The All-Time Greatest Hits of Roy Orbison" has the hit versions. The guy has more compilations of songs than he did hit songs, the music continues to be re-released time and time again. I didn't even try to count all of the compilations listed on Allmusic.com.

Chris

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
From the allmusic.com review:
"Roy Orbison's three-disc Platinum Collection from EMI contains 49 original Monument and Virgin recordings from the early '60s through the '80s. Obvious number one classics like "Only the Lonely" (1960), "Running Scared" (1961), and "Oh Pretty Woman" (1964) are represented alongside his final chart entries and posthumous hits, including the duet version of "Crying" with k.d. Lang (1987), "You Got It" (1989), and "I Drove All Night" (1992). This collection, coupled with Bear Family's Sun Years 1956-58, forms a well-rounded retrospective of Orbison's hauntingly beautiful voice and timeless material."

This set has 49 cuts including a real fave of mine, Heartbreak Radio.

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
"The Essential Roy Orbison" doesn't have any re-recordings, from what I understand - it has a couple of live takes of a couple of hits. The studio recordings on the CD are originals, I'm fairly sure.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
I own the Black and White Night DVD. It is very good. It also has a DTS track. I didn't know about a DVD-A version.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
For my money, Rhino's "For The Lonely: 18 Greatest Hits" is the best single-disc compilation of Roy's classic period. Everything from "Ooby Dooby" to "Oh, Pretty Woman" - all original recordings.

Also, be sure to pick up his final album, "Mystery Girl", recorded in the midst of his late 80's comeback just before his untimely passing. This Jeff Lynne-produced gem showcased a re-energized Orbison, still in command of that amazing voice. Almost as essential as the hits compilations, IMO.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
"16 Biggest Hits (Remastered)" is available from yourmusic.com for $5.99 delivered and has to be the best value.

Chris

Lex Hopkins

Auditioning
Real Name
Lex Hopkins
The best one you could get is 'The Soul of Rock & Roll'. It came out on monday,covers everything worth having from 1955-1988, plus a dozen unreleased songs. I bought it and am well pleased. Heres a link,i hope this helps...

6 Degrees of Roy Orbison

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Well, yeah, NOW....we were working with what was out 2 years ago!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

This new set that Lex is suggesting is certainly the way to go.
I've got an LP from the early 70s when Charlie records from England was busy selling us back our (mostly Memphis) musical heritage.
There's a version of "Claudette" on there where Roy loses his way, stops, says, "Oh crap" and then starts in again. It's great.
I'm pretty sure that take is on the new box set but I've only heard the first 30 seconds of the cut so I can't be positive.

EDIT [Yep, it's there, cut 21 on the first disc!]

Read a good review at allmusic.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks