What's new

Roy Disney against cutting Disney films for PC (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Recently the supplements for "Make Mine Music" and "Melody Time" have been certified by the BBFC.
In light of Roy's comments in 2001, it will be interesting to see how these are released in the UK (their first release since the R1 Gold Collection).
The VHS release of "Make Mine Music" released in the UK in July 2000 was missing the "Martins and the Coys" segment.
James,
If I understand the BBFC correctly, as long as the Martins and the Coys do not head-butt each other, they can blast each other to Hades and back with rifles and muskets and still be reinstated on the DVD. :)
Regards,

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think Roy Disney is full of s@#$. If he wasn't full of s&*#, Who Framed Roger Rabbit would have been released uncensored.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
I think there's a big difference between a rabbit shot (which the director didn't intend to have included...) and the historical films...

Remember that folks who suppress history are generally condemned to repeat it.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Roy Disney is a decent person. Perhaps the best Disney have at the moment. His efforts have ensured the production and continuation of many fine animated films from The House Of Mouse.

I'm willing to have faith in Roy Disney, my only worry is that like some filmmakers, Roy may see the audience of Disney's movies as being primarily American, and have little interest in oversea's releases. (He has made no effort to push the Walt Disney Treasures sets into other regions for example).

We'll have to see how Make Mine Music and Melody Time turn out in the UK - this is the first time that they have been released anywhere in the world since their R1 Gold Collection releases (I think). Logically if Roy was going to do something, this would be the first time we would know.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I think Roy Disney is full of s@#$. If he wasn't full of s&*#, Who Framed Roger Rabbit would have been released uncensored.
Roy Disney is just the VP. He has to put stuff to the board. I get the impression, if it were up to him, we'd have Sogn of the South by now, but it isn't.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
And if you've really got to see the Baby Herman "finger shot" it's hidden on the disc as an easter egg in the trailer. The whole thing happens too fast for my eyes to register very well anyway unless I run it in slow mode or step, but YMMV.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
And if you've really got to see the Baby Herman "finger shot" it's hidden on the disc as an easter egg in the trailer. The whole thing happens too fast for my eyes to register very well anyway unless I run it in slow mode or step, but YMMV
...which makes censoring it in the feature even more ridiculous.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Edwin: Disney has a big voice in what goes into stuff, but he still has to contend with the other members of the board. From what I've heard, the current board is the problem with Disney...

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Well, I can't disgree with you on this point. I would narrow it down even further. ONE of the big problems is that they haven't gotten rid of Eisner. Right now, I think he is their biggest problem.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Roy Disney's title is "Chairman of Walt Disney Feature Animation" - he has little say in the marketing, distribution, home releases and merchandise from 'his' own animated films, let alone other Disney features.
To suggest that a uber-coporation like Disney would somehow assign his views greater weight just because of his family name is laughable, and clearly shows little understanding of how big business is run. The fact that they don't can clearly be shown in the newspaper quote which started this thread "Nobody asked me".
Since the 2001 interview, Roy has managed to push his pet project through marketing and into home video - The "Walt Disney Treasures" sets. While there is some debate about censoring on the 'Silly Symphonies' set ('The Three Little Pigs') and unadvertised edits on the 'Disneyland' set it is quite clear that the intention is to release these sets unedited and uncensored. Is it not possible that the seeds of the "Walt Disney Treasures" collection were planted as a reaction to finding out some of Disney's releases had been censored?
He has also stated a number of times that he is lobbying the board (yes, the board, as he needs their approval) for the release of 'Song of the South' on home formats.
Do you still contend he is full of s@#$?
So will the UK releases of 'Make Mine Music' and 'Melody Time' be uncensored? In all honestly I expect not. But only because Disney will undoubtedly opt to recycle old transfers rather than strike new ones.
But at least Roy Disney will have already have made his feelings known to the board so he already gets my seal of approval.
Besides, Roy's got a lot on his plate right now - like he had to in the 80's, it looks like Roy's got to fight for the survival of the Walt Disney Feature Animation division. The way things are, I'll think you'll all be lucky if it's still around after 2015. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks