What's new

Roy Disney against cutting Disney films for PC (1 Viewer)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
In today's London Evening Standard newspaper, is an interview with Roy Disney who discusses the DVD of Snow White and, of particular interest to those who dislike the cutting of Disney animated films on PC grounds, is the following quote:
"One group of Disney films (including Saludos Amigos, Melody Time and Make Mine Music) has recently been cut on video for perceived political correctness, something Roy (Disney)is concerned about. "I was really angry" he said. "Nobody asked me, and I wouldn't have let them do that. We're having meetings now to fix the problem, because this is history. One suggestion is that we release films in two versions - if you want your kids to see Pecos Bill without a cigarette in his hands (give me a break!), you can have it both ways."
This is great news. It looks like we can now look forward to uncensored versions of Disney animated classics. Presumably when Roy Disney refers to two versions, he means both versions can go on one disc, which is something many HTF members have suggested.
------------------

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Wow! This IS GREAT news!
I wonder how deep his concern lies. For instance, is he concerned enough to upgrade my censored copies of the DVDs for non-censored copies?
I'd be willing to pay an 'upgrade' charge, although common sense is that I should not have to. On the one hand, I wasn't the one who cut it in the first place. On the other hand, I was dumb enough to buy the censored version. On the third hand, maybe I didn't know it was censored...
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
.....http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/.....

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator
It's about time Roy starts putting his foot down on the disney legacy. Now if only he can work on the new movie and make them better

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
If this turns out to be true, then I applaud Roy for making this bold and correct move. I would like the scenes in Fantasia restored to their original state as an option as well - even if they provide commentary that notes Walt's decision to alter them later. Films reflect the times in which they were created, and their preservation as pieces of history needs to be guarded, regardless of more modern sensitivities. By maintaining the originals, they also can serve as a valuable educational tool for parents, who can point out the differences in societal values from the past.
Let's hope this does get addressed, and that those of us who unknowing bought a censored version will have the opportunity to "upgrade" as Dave mentions, rather than rebuying the disc.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | DVD reviews at dOc

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The zoomed scenes in Fantasia were changed under Walt's watch and will most likely not be re-instated. The titles we are likely to seere-visited are the ones mentioned specifically: Melody Time, Make Mine Music, and Saludos Amigos.
Maybe I should be more bothered by the Fantasia zooms than I am, but I would much rather see this leading to a reconsideration of the release of Song of the South than a Fantasia re-release.
In any case, this reverse revisionism is encouraging and I hope it bears fruit.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
He mentions in regards to cigarette smoking and the like in classic disney animation being cut. But I wonder in regards to some of the other cuts that the house of mouse has made to films in the past.
The cropping and Zooming of the black centaurs in "Fantasia" for one. If Roy Disney is really worried about preserving the original version of classic Disney films, he can't do it half way. He needs to push for un-cut restored "Fantasia" as well as all of the other Disney Pictures. As well as getting "Song of the South" on DVD.
In my honest opinion, the racial carictures, humor, and stereotyping of the day from movies and animated cartoons is nowhere near as bad as it is today in some of the Hollywood movies that come out ever year. These films are classic, they need to be seen, cherished and cared for, before they are forgotten due to PC bullcrap.
MTFBWY and HH!!
Mike
------------------
View my Mediocre DVD collection
I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion, and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
[Edited last by Mike Cameron on November 15, 2001 at 03:45 PM]

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
1) As pointed out earlier, the removal of the black centaurs was approved by Walt Disney himself.
2) Roy Disney doesn't seem to be bothered by the changes, since he recorded a commentary track for the DVD.
It would interesting to hear Roy's thoughts on Song of the South.
[Edited last by Richard Kim on November 15, 2001 at 03:50 PM]

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
1) As pointed out earlier, the removal of the black centaurs was approved by Walt Disney himself.
2) Roy Disney doesn't seem to be bothered by the changes, since he recorded a commentary track for the DVD.
That's assuming too much. It is conceivable that he was not aware of the change. Do you think the President of the company I work for, for example, knows what I'm doing on a daily basis.
In any case, seems like good news.
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
That's assuming too much. It is conceivable that he was not aware of the change. Do you think the President of the company I work for, for example, knows what I'm doing on a daily basis.
Aw come on. Do you even believe your own analogy?
There is no way anyone at Disney would have made editorial changes to Fantasia for a major re-release during his lifetime without Walt knowing about it.
BTW, I bet George Lucas is gonna be plenty mad when he finds out what Lucasfilm did to his trilogy a few years back.
wink.gif

Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
YES!!!
I sent a petition to Mr. Disney this summer (along with a lengthy letter by me) with about 50 signatures pleading for uncut DVD's of those films. I think the thing about Walt Disney approving the censorship for Fantasia is BS. First, he would have had the segment re-animated and second, the first censored edition was released AFTER his death.
When Fantasia is fixed, I hope they will replace the censored versions. I shouldn't have to pay for a screw-up because some idiot in the transferring department didn't ask Mr. Disney if they should censor a movie that's supposed to be UNCUT. I have avoided the other censored DVD's as well because I only buy the best for my collection. I think the best thing they can do is to have seamless branching for all the censored movies so that us who appreicate movies for what they are can watch the original version. Those who are offended by a movie can watch the edited cut. MGM can release the Fritz the Cat movies to DVD (which are FAR worse in terms of offensive stuff than the censored Disney movies) without any complaints.
CENSORSHIP = NO SALE!
BTW, if you listen to the commentary track, you'll notice that the censored segments seem to drift into some generic animation talk. I wouldn't be surprised if the commentary editor replaced stuff to cover up the censorship.
[Edited last by PatrickMcCart on November 15, 2001 at 04:40 PM]

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
quote: There is no way anyone at Disney would have made editorial changes to Fantasia for a major re-release during his lifetime without Walt knowing about it.[/quote]
I wasn't suggesting Walt didn't know about it. I was suggesting Roy may not have known about it. Sorry if that was unclear.
I'm presenting this as possibility, not as fact.
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
[Edited last by Rain on November 15, 2001 at 04:51 PM]

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Good old Roy, he is stepping up his role as Disney's newphew and finally fixing some problems of the censorship. Now "Song of the South"(never seem it), Darkwing Duck(which got cuts on a number of episodes and one episode has been stop getting air due to the episode's topic), and all of the other movies and shows will get repaired. I mean what the point of taking out the smoking if Altantis has characters smoking as well.
------------------
rirsesignture.gif

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Isn't Roy Disney the titular head of animation? I thought that he keeps a pretty close eye on what happens in that department. Wasn't there a project he shitcanned because he thought the material was inappropriate for a Disney animated flick? I find it hard to believe that Roy Disney would not have a clue about cuts being made to any of the classic animated films made during Walt's day.
There is no way that any subordinate at Disney is going to make any decision on his own to cut anything out of any film made by Walt Disney, without the higher management's knowledge. I would presume that management to include Roy Disney. If he did make those remarks regarding PC cuts to classic animation, I think he is just doing a little bit of CYA. I am sure that even in his rarified air he has heard of the dissatisfaction some people have displayed over the censorship. He is just trying to smooth ruffled feathers with a little spin doctoring. I don't believe there will ever truly be "uncut" versions of the disputed films released.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Another (sad) fact to consider is the relative lack of popularity where these particular titles are concerned.... how well did MAKE MINE MUSIC sell? I don't have numbers, but I can't believe it was anything close to a chart-topper. As with everything else, money talks. If they were somehow guaranteed big numbers, I'm sure the Mouse Men would fix the cuts and rerelease the discs. Seems unlikely, doesn't it?
------------------
My collection:
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...=Kriegersaurus

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I bet the Bozo that spent $1200 four months ago on eBay for the laser disc version hopes to gosh that it never, never, never, never sees the light of day on DVD!!!!:D:D

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I've never understood why they couldn't include the uncut version guarded by the "Parental Lock" feature that all or most DVD players come equipped with.
I think this is more about some of the top brass at Disney wanting everyone to quietly forget that Disney Studios was just as vulnerable to the racism, antisemitism and other prejudices of its times as anyone else was.
[Edited last by Brian W. on November 16, 2001 at 01:06 AM]

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is no way anyone at Disney would have made editorial changes to Fantasia for a major re-release during his lifetime without Walt knowing about it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wasn't suggesting Walt didn't know about it. I was suggesting Roy may not have known about it. Sorry if that was unclear.
I'm presenting this as possibility, not as fact.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me:
Walt was Walt, and I'd say no one has ever replaced him; not even Roy E. has. So I assume that it's fair to suggest that Roy may not have known.
Anyway, about the subject of this whole thread: Great news. I always thought Roy was a good guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks