What's new

Rotel vs Cinenova grande vs B&K (1 Viewer)

Mike Butny

Stunt Coordinator
Im looking for some info on these brands. I will be buying a new three or five channel amp in the up coming weeks and I was wondering how these amps would sound in my system and which one is the better amp. Im using B&W 805's for my front speakers and a B&W htm 2 center speaker along with Jamo THX dipole for my rears. My pre-pro in a Classe ssp30 mkII. Im currently using two marantz ma700 monoblocks along with the amps inside my marantz sr18 receiver, which Im selling for $1000.00. I was thinking about the rotel rmb1095 (200wattsx5), rmb1075 (120wattsx5) and the cinenova grande 3chanel version or a B&K amp. I was looking to spend no more than $1500 and I that would put the RMB1095 over budget but I might spend the extra cash if the sound is that much better than the others. I know the cinenova grande is a monster at 300watts and doubles that into 4 ohms, but how does it sound? does it sound great with music material? The rmb1075 is listed at $1000 and is THX ultra rated, but its only rated at a 120 watts. I heard the 120x5 rating is rated more on the conservitive side and the amp is more powerful than its rating. The RMB1095 is more powerful and probably the better amp but is it worth the extra cash. How does B&K amps in this price range sound. I really only need a three channel amp, but if I end up buying a 5 channel amp I will either bi-amp my fronts or get into a 7.1 system.I will be considering parasound amps also. Any replys will be greatly appreciated.

Roger Kaufmann

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Mike,

I have the Cinenova Grande 5 channel, I am using it with a B&K Reference 50 Pre Pro, B&W Matrix 805's and a Nautilus HTM1 and some NHT's for my surrounds. Not only is the Cinenova a beast it's a fabulous amp too. Of everyone that I have seen on the newsgroups I seem to be the first to actually get one, mine is over 3 years old now. I am not a huge music listener but I can tell you I am more than pleased with the Cinenova. What I noticed with my Cinenova was much more detail, in short I don't think you would go wrong with one at all. If it is possible to audition one I would highly recommend it, if the dealer will let you take it home to audition this is all the better!

Good luck!

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
If you do go w/ the Rotel 1095 - I would audition it first in your home as it's been widely known to have serious groundplane issues. The 1075 is based on a different design so it doesn't suffer from the same - although it's in a much lower class than your Classe prepro.

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
Mike:

You cover alot of ground in your post, and you might get more replies if you narrow it down a bit.

I have a Cinenova Grande 3, and it is a huge, heavy, powerful, heavy, detailed, heavy amp (did I say it is heavy?) It will exert an iron grip over your B&W speakers, with excellent results. I did not feel the same about the Rotels. Haven't heard the B&K or Parasound...

John

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Mike,

It all started about a year ago when I bought an Outlaw 950 pre/pro and a Carver AV-705x amp (5 x 125wpc) to power my Paradigm Monitor series speakers. Then about 6 months ago, I got a Rotel RB-990BX amp (2 x 200wpc) to add so I could power my Monitor 7's and have a 7.1 set-up.

Then I upgraded to Magnepan 1.6 (fronts), MGMC1 (surrounds), and MGCC3 (center). I powered the 1.6's with the Rotel, and the center and surrounds with 3 of the 5 channels of the Carver. Please note that the maggies are 4 ohm speakers and require a fairly high amount of power to be driven correctly.

The Rotel and Carver just wasn't enough, so about 2 weeks ago, I pulled the trigger on an Earthquake Cinenova Grande 5 channel amp....OH MY GOD!! This is one fantastic, heavy, detailed, and powerful amp (5 x 300wpc @ 8 ohms) and (5 x 600wpc @ 4 ohms)!! My maggies are thanking me for my investment each and every day!! You can't go wrong with the Cinenova Grande 3 OR 5!!

BrianKR

Second Unit
Mike,

I have the HTM2 Center, 805's for fronts and rears and I am driving them with a B&K 50 and a Sherbourn 5/5210 5 channel amp. You should really add the Sherbourn to your list. You can easily pick 1 up for under $1500 online (Audiogon - eBay)

The Sherbourn made a HUGE difference with my B&W setup!

Yogi

Screenwriter
If you listen to a lot of music then you may consider the B&K IMHO (even though I would consider auditioning them myself) but if you are mostly into movies then either will be good esp. with the CG dynamic headroom would never be an issue.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Rotel's got a new version of the 1095 that shouldn't have the issues some people had with the earlier model. You'll know its a new one b/c it uses WBT connectors on the back. It it were me I'd lean towards a Rotel 1075 for the centre, sides and surrounds and a Rotel 1080 for the fronts.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I'm using the Rotel 1075 with B&W 805s for mains and the HTM2 center, 601S2s for rears. If you're just looking for HT and you don't have audio at ear-splitting levels for hours on end, the 1075 should be fine. You can pick one up for about $1,000 U.S.
And, indeed, Rotel has addressed the ground issue in the 1095. I'm tempted to move up to the 1095, but I haven't come up with a good excuse yet.

Chip E

Screenwriter
I use two B&K amps. The Ref200.5 (5x200wpc) and a Ref200.2 (2x200wpc) Boat loads of power and sounds great with music and movies. My front main's are PSB Stratus Silveri 's which are 4ohm. I use the Ref200.2 for my main's. At 4ohm the Ref200.2 can output 350wpc. I think the Ref200.5 can do 375wpc. I'm very happy with their performance. I use a B&K Ref50 pre pro.

Yogi

Screenwriter
Mike, the only reason I suggested B&K for music is I have found it more laidback with a warmer midrange, and that to my ears is more musically satisfying than either the Rotel or the Cinenova (yes I have listened to both in my system). That by no means says that the other two are bad choices. They are excellent amps in their own right and thats why I suggest to you or any one else looking for amps, is to audition the amps in one's own setup before making a judgement.

I think you should never rely on someone else's opinion about a given amp or any other component soundwise. If it were features or specs of one amp vs the others then you can go by what people say here but for everything subjective like sound/looks/smell go by your own ears/eyes/nose:).

Mike Butny

Stunt Coordinator
Yogi

Thanks for the feedback on the B&K amps and I will give them a listen in my system. I forgot to mention Im using a mirage bps400 dual 12inch woofers powered by a 400watt amp.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
i am STRONGLY considering a Cinenova or an Sherbourn. I would want the 7 channel version of each. I think that i have narrowed it down to these two indefinitely.

I used to be ROTEL,ROTEL, ROTEL, but i would seriously worry about quality assurance with them. I think that a lot of their dealers are RUDE, and i don't give my business to people like that(they are also unwilling to discount.)

If you cannot audition something in your own home, especially when you are spending that much $$$ on ONE thing, make sure a dealer is understanding of this and patient with you, otherwise find a new one!

And Andrew, Rotel is obviously nice, so no hurt feelings. But if you go over to club rotel, there seems to be a LOT of quality issues with them.

I called rotel about the hiss with their receivers, and they were like "no, we have NEVER heard of that from anyone"

That alone made me not/refuse to buy one. And i was REALLY into rotel. If they can't be honest with me, they can't expect people's business in the long run

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
are you SURE the cinenova is not just an ATI2505 relabeled???? This was my big turnoff for not getting the earthquake. I mean ATI is nice and everything, but i wouldn't include it in the same calibur as the earthquakes are being compared to bryston, krell, etc..

RaimundGan

Auditioning
ATI and Earthquake are not all affiliated with each other.
Several Earthquake dealers wonder how that got started

I'm am about an inch from biting the bullet on an Earthquake amp. With little brand recognition and no chance for me to demo it, I am having to do tons of research on it. The more you research on it, the more you'll find it is one hell of a piece. I can't for the life of me find one piece of information telling me not to buy it, especially for the price I am getting it at.

Take it for what its worth, but people who own this amp swear on it, even those who have owned Krell, Classe and parasound amps and have since replaced it with earthquake.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks