Rotel RSX 1055

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jeff_King, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Jeff_King

Jeff_King Extra

I wonder if any of you out there have opinions of this receiver. I am looking to overhaul my existing system and currently this receiver is the front runner in the race for my new receiver. Do any of you own this reciver or demo it when choosing another and what other receivers are in this price range that I should consider, right now my sistem in used about 75/25 HT/music. Will I need an amp to get the most out of a set up based on this receiver, not that I will be using it to push large speakers, as i live in an apartment with neighbors on all side. Any thoughts or opinions would be a great help.

2. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Jeff,
    If you do a search within this forum, I am sure you will find more than enough info concerning this receiver. There are many owners of this fine unit, myself included, and I have yet to see any negative views concerning this unit.
    As for my impressions:
    This unit is very simple, gives you exactly what it states, is extrememly musical and quiet, and is one of the best values in audio. While it may not have the bells and whistles of Logic7 (HK525 and 700), MCACC (Pioneer Elite) or some other accoutrements (Denon 3803), I find that its sound quality, feature set, and build quality are perfect for my needs.
    I find that the 75 wpc are sufficient in my medium sized listening area (20x18x14 HxWxD), and since the pre section is basically the same as that of the RSP1066, the addition of a seperate amp for harder loads easily turns the 1055 into a nice center piece for a seperates system. The only thing is that if you would want 7.1, you would have to purchase two more amp channels to power either the mains of the back surrounds.
    Also, I live in Old Greenwich and go to NY very often (friends have apts there). If you ask nicely, maybe we could set up a demo in you listening area. Email me and maybe we could set up a time. Good luck

3. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

There is one negative of the 1066/1055 (and it has been reported on another forum with the new 1098) that myself and others have encountered. With some digital sources (primarly DTV satellite receivers), the unit will make a popping noise when switching channels TV channels.

Some other receivers also do this, but it is disappointing for the price. I tried a 2nd unit and it did the same thing. I could have lived with it (the unit sounds so great for music), but it was also making popping sounds during the middle of shows. If it were only between channels I might have lived with it. In the middle of shows was unaccetable.

Most likely you won't have the issue, but be sure to purchase it from a dealer with a good return policy just in case you do have problems.

4. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

I own a 1055 used as a preamp only and love it. Sounds so much better than my Denon 3802. I have never had any popping issues with mine, but as always a good dealer is handy in case you have a problem.

Earle

5. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

There is a great review of the 1055 Here

BTW, I don't own the unit, but I have done spent some time with it at my local dealer's and for what it's worth I think it looks and sounds great!!

6. Jeff_King

Jeff_King Extra

I will make sure i purchase from a dealer with a good return policy. Thanks for the info on the pooping. That would drive me crazy as I am a type A perfectionist. Hopefully I wont have the same problem. Chung thank you for the offer, when i get closer to the purchase I may take you up on that, but right now i am in the planning stage as I still have to purchase new fronts and a center before upgrading my old receiver.