What's new

Rotel RMB-1066, Any Opinions? (1 Viewer)

James_N_H

Stunt Coordinator
Does anybody own one of these power amps? If so can they give opinions of what it is like both for Home Cinema use and also for music use?

JoanPablo_T

Stunt Coordinator
Hi!

I bought one of these amps last year-it's great! very clean and alot of power for both HT and music. I almost never crank my system, but when I do, the amp never strains. For it's price range it is a worthwhile amp!

enjoy,

JP

James_N_H

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

Thanks for the reply. What mode do you use the amp in, 6, 5 or bridged 3 channel? Can I ask how does the bridging system work on it? Does it double up two single channels allowing the speakers to be bi-wired or does it still use single wire when bridging in 3-channel mode? Thanks again.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
James,

This amp is worth the maney for those getting into seperates or adding an amp to their reciever for an extra boost. I currently run the amp in 5x70w mode and it powers my Paradigm Mini Monitors/CC-350 with ease. I've ran it in bridged mode(3x150) when I had my Denon 1801 to power the rears. Again it ran with ease. In bridged mode you get 3x150 as the amp takes 2 channels and makes one. If you wanted to bridge your front sound stage then you would have to keep it in 6 channel mode. I've e-mailed Rotel and was told that in bridged mode the amp has the same THD/SNR as unbridged mode. SO if you have something else to power the rears run your amp in bridged mode.

Kevin.

Rotel RMB-1066:

.500KVa Torrodial Transformer

6x6800uf Capacitors

2x15A Bipolar output devices per channel

JoanPablo_T

Stunt Coordinator
hey James,
I use the amp in 5 channel mode, I currently have a small room so bridging would be to much for me. :)
I was able to demo at home the floor model from my local dealer, see if you have that option. At home playback is what really counts!
good luck

James_N_H

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin. W,

You say if I wanted to bridge my front sound stage I would have to run it in 6-channel mode, so you mean use 2 of internal amps to run each of the 3 single channels at the front? If so how would this be done as my receiver only has a single pre-out for each of the three front channels?

JoanPablo_T,

Unfortunately due to the recent supply problems with Rotel products none of my local dealers have a 1066 in so I cannot test at home yet. I will be using one with B&W speakers so should be a good match.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
If so how would this be done as my receiver only has a single pre-out for each of the three front channels?
I believe you would use the link feature on the back of the amp. IF you E-mail Rotel they maybe able to answer the question better than I.

Kevin

James_N_H

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin. W,

I e-mail Rotel a week or so again and then just told me to download the instructions from their website for the RMB-1066, unfortunately the instructions will not download onto my computer for some reason, and I have never seen one of these so I dont really know a great deal about them. Thanks again for replying.

Lando P

Agent
I just placed an order for this amp and it will come in a week or 2. My purpose for this amp is to power the fronts and center while my HK510 will take care of the rears.

If you check the manual or back panel drawing of this unit at the Rotel website, you will see that the 6 inputs are divided in pairs. And on each pair, an input is marked with a "lightning" for bridged mode. So for each your receiver's pre-out, there's a corresponding input for bridged mode. Beside a pair of inputs at the back panel, you will notice a switch for stereo or bridged mode. You would want to leave all the switches on bridged mode if you are planning to use it as 3-channel.

Then for the speaker output, again there's a corresponding speaker output connection marked with "lightning" and if I'm not mistaken, they're both positive with one of them designated as the negative connection when in bridged mode.

The only thing that held me from placing the order is that there might be some problems when I use this in bridged mode and currently that's my only intention for this amp. However, I was assured that this model will handle the 3-channel with ease. Nevertheless, with its ability to power 3, 4 or 5 channels, this unit will give me more flexibility in the future.

James_N_H

Stunt Coordinator
Lando P

Can I ask where have you ordered it from if you are in the U.K as not many stores have them at the moment due to the recent supply problems? I cannot download the info off rotels website for some reason but thanks for explaining it to me.

My initial use for the amp is 6-channel mode and then hopefully to get another one to use them side by side in bridged mode.

Lando P

Agent
James_N_H

First of all, I just checked the back panel drawing and I would like to correct myself because only the speaker outputs are marked by "lightning". The (+) right outputs are the designated (-) for the bridged mode. Actually they're marked "BRIDGED" underneath. For the channel inputs, the left input for each stereo pair is for the bridged mode and beside each left input is a switch for bridged or stereo mode.

I'm from Washington State, US., and it is true that there aren't many stores that carry Rotel. In fact here in the Puget Sound area, there's only one authorized dealer (Definitive Audio) for Rotel. They had this Spring sale last weekend that gave discounts even on special orders (like the RMB-1066) and I took advantage of it despite waiting for 2 weeks. Also, it's very difficult to find any online store for Rotel - if there's any.

In the UK, I'd also look for authorized dealers of B&W speakers. I understand that Rotel and B&W are under one company. So there's a great chance that you'll find Rotel products where there's B&W speakers. But with the RMB-1066, most likely you would have that special ordered.

Good luck.

P.S. I sent you a PM regarding info on UK dealers.

James_N_H

Stunt Coordinator
Lando P

Thanks for the replies, I have been in contact with one of my local dealers who said they can order me one in, I have yet to contact my prefered local dealer but that dealer does not stock B&W, which is my prefered speakers so hopefully they might start stocking those aswell.

I will download the relevant software for pdf files to see if it works, thanks for the link.

James

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks