What's new

Rotel 1066 vs. Sherbourn 7000 (1 Viewer)

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Chris,

Have they started using my name in vain at the Outlaw forum yet :D At the Eletronics show last May in NYC, the Outlaws laughed pretty hard when I introduced myself in their sound room :)

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
Darryl I did not write about the double bass and the different crossover settings as Nicky seemed to already acknowledge them.

The no tuner was a big one that I missed. Good Catch.

As for Outlaw's customer service, I have only heard wonderful things, but the same is true for Rotel (as I ahve heard) and you don't have to ship your stuff back to them.

One thing that should be added about Outlaw is that they are very open with their customers, their forums are a credit not only to their company but an example that should be followed by not only other audio companies but many other industries as well.

As for the upgradeability of its the Rotel, you could argue about how useful it is, but Rotel has sent surveys asking existing owners for their feedback and incorporated some of their changes. I find that to be very attractive.

Rich

Levesque

Supporting Actor
You forgot one important thing. In my case, the Silver RSP-1066 received the wife seal of approval, but the Outlaw didn't (she went strange when seeing the big green button...)...

She told me that the my RSP-1066 + RMB-1095 and RB-1050, all in silver in the same rack, was looking nice in our dedicated home theater. You see, even my wife is happy with my system!:D :D

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Correct. My point was simply to illustrate that Outlaw has resolved all known problems, while Rotel has not. Nor has Rotel made a firm commitment to do so.
That's not true at all. Rotel has committed to fixing the bass issues and the latest firmware has gone a long way to doing just that.

DarrylM

Stunt Coordinator
Rotel has committed to fixing the bass issues and the latest firmware has gone a long way to doing just that
Well, it's good to see that Rotel is doing something for it. Do keep in mind, though, that the 1066 has been out for quite some time, and the issue still hasn't been completely resolved. Nevertheless, perhaps you can provide a bit more detail about how the latest firmware addresses the issue.

Nick V

Second Unit
Definitely. I'd be very interested in hearing about the fix(es). Or, are you just talking about fixing the Subwoofer Yes/Max issue??

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I was going to write a reponse about the Rotel vs Outlaws but honestly that won't do much good here with the huge number of Outlaw fans so my advice is just listen to both and pick the one you're most happy with. If you want more info on the Rotel visit the link to Club Rotel posted above and we'll set you straight.
Andrew, as a member of HTG I respect you, but you can't be serious suggesting that an open forum like this would give a more slanted view then a forum called "Club Rotel"? Even if the majority of people here liked Outlaw, it still wouldn't match the percentage of people that liked Rotel in "Club Rotel" .

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I didn't mean to imply that Club Rotel would provide an unslnated view of the Outlaws...I meant only that its a good place to go to get the most current information about the Rotel's.You'll notice I told him to listen to both and pick the one he likes best;) All the info you need on the bass issues and firmware are available there.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Correct. My point was simply to illustrate that Outlaw has resolved all known problems, while Rotel has not. Nor has Rotel made a firm commitment to do so.
Did Outlaw fix the phase problem with the analog crossover on the multi-inputs? If not then as far as I'm concerned the analog x-over on the 950 is worthless, and with it disabled the 950 has the same bass-doubling issue as the 1066.

Nick V

Second Unit
If not then as far as I'm concerned the analog x-over on the 950 is worthless, and with it disabled the 950 has the same bass-doubling issue as the 1066.
Are you f-in kidding me?? All I really want is an analog pass-though for DVD-A. I mean come on, my $1100 CDN Yamaha receiver does it just fine. Only problem is that it sounds like crap.:frowning:

BTW, Andrew, I have been reading about the 1066 religiously over at HTG and I haven't read a thread that posted about fixing the bass-doubling issues on the 5.1 inputs, so if you know something I don't, I'd appreciate if you pointed it out.

Nick

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I read somewhere on AVS from someone who worked at Sherbourn who stated that some of the internals were upgraded and their video board had atleast double the bandwidth of the Outlaw. That and the look are worth the extra. Then again the Rotel has an RS232 port that IS being put into use. This isn't smoke and mirrors.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of customer service, one company that's always chapped my hide has been B&K. They say their processors are hardware and software upgradeable, but when any meaningful change comes about this is what happens:

You want more decoding options, better DAC's, and/or a truly upgradeable FireWire inputs for your upgradeable pre-amp you paid good money for? Well, we've got just the solution: buy our new and improved pre-amp and scrap your old one!

It seems like only Anthem, Theta, and Meridian (and to some extent Lexicon) have created pre-amps that really can be called fully software and hardware upgradeable and have used their pre-amps' flexible construction for their customers' benefit.

Dan

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Dan,

Don't forget about Onkyo/Integra. The DPL2 upgrade (among other things) was user-installable and cost less than $150.....I just placed the software into my laptop and hooked the laptop up to the Onkyo 989! And I believe the THX Ultra2 upgrade was only $800, but not user installable.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
With the latest firmware (1.49 which is on my website) the bass redirects work much better. I've installed it in my machine but haven't yet had chance to test it. From what I understand though we're very close now. Here's a post from Club Rotel

"FYI I just got this info on the changes to the 1.49/2.25 firmware since the beta was released

"The only change since the beta was the handling of the subwoofer YES and MAX outputs. Originally these 2 modes were intended to only apply to Dolby/dts 5.1 formats, now it applies to all modes so Large speakers will not have bass sent to the subwoofer unless the sub is set to MAX."

Users who are viewing this thread