What's new

Roseanne Season 8--Edited (1 Viewer)

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Speaking of missing music. Are the songs from Season 4's "The Bowling Show" between Bonnie Sheridan & David Crosby intact ? Or the cast singing "You Really Got A Hold On Me" from Season 3's "Scenes From A Barbeque" where Bonnie does a killer solo ? I haven't gotten that far but haven't heard about them being edited.

Nick_TV

Stunt Coordinator

Yes, the songs in "The Bowling Show" (4th Season) & "Scenes From a Barbeque" (3rd Season) are on the DVDs. Thank goodness. I like these songs too.

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
It is probably not fair to compare Roseanne to Family Guy, those DVDs will sell so much bette for sure.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The FG stuff was cleared on Volume 1, well before the huge sales that are credited with getting the show revived. They had no idea it would sell in the millions. This was way back in 2003.

Oh, and they also used the Dawson's Creek theme. Which is more than I can even say for Dawson's Creek!

David Levine

Supporting Actor

We also have no idea if they were forward-thinking enough to clear the music for home video at the same time they did it for broadcast.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They are still not forward thinking enough to clear things for video. What makes you think that in 1999/2000 it was even an issue?

And as for some who view the use of their songs on TV episodes as an insult, they didn't seem too insulted when they were clearing it for broadcast.

David Levine

Supporting Actor

Big difference. In broadcast you are only airing something for people to watch - essentially without a cost to the viewer. With DVD you are selling a product to a consumer. They are paying to have a digital copy of your property - often at a better quality than what they could view "for free" over the air.

It's like comparing hearing a song on the radio to buying a CD.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Since so many people here chimed in about Season 1 being syndicated, which brought about change, maybe the same campaign should be brought up here about Season 8.

Nick_TV

Stunt Coordinator
I emailed Anchor Bay/Starz about this press release. Here's their response:

"Unfortunately, the licensor, Carsey-Werner had to make a decision as to which scenes needed to be cut based on our budgets. I’m sure they did the best that they could."

Thus, I take back my previous statement. The fault lies with Anchor Bay / Starz. Apparently they wanted to get season 8 out paying as little as possible.

They also said they didn't know what would be cut from season 9, but my suspicion is that it'll be the song that plays at the end of "The Miracle" when they show Darlene's baby getting better. I can't think of any other big music problems in season 9.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I certainly hate edits but considering how hit & miss (and I'm being kind) the final season was I am not even sure I will notice any potential edits as I will likely watch only about half the episodes. The fantasy episodes left me cold so I'll be sticking to the more family-oriented eps.

Does anyone recall any other music from the final season that might be a problem ?

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
there was a remake of "Blackbird" by The Beatles at the end of The Miracle. I have a feeling it'll be replaced but the song worked well at a very poignant and touching scene that it'll be missed if replaced

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I am reviving this most recent thread involving the Roseanne series for this announcement:

For those interested, Seasons 1-9 of Roseanne are on sale for 70% off--TODAY ONLY-at amazon.

HERE'S the link.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks