What's new

Room size (1 Viewer)

davidfindlay

Auditioning
My room is about 3x3 metres. Am I likely to be able to get good surround sound in such a small space?

Also, is there a gallery of completed theatres here that I could drool at? :) Thanks,

David

Terry Montlick

Stunt Coordinator
Hi David,

In this modest a space, the need for sufficient acoustical absorption is pretty critical. Ever sing in the bathroom? The reverb makes your voice sound good, but will have the opposite effect for the accuracy of your home theater. On the plus side, you don't have that big an area to treat.

Also, too square a room can be a problem for low frequency room modes. Here's a simple room calculator that will check for likely problematic dimensions:

http://www.componentacoustics.com

Click on "New! Room Dimensions Calculator"

Regards,
Terry

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I sometimes enjoy my bedroom system more than my main system. Of course, speaker placement and proper calibration with an SPL meter, as suggested, are critical.

But here's something that simply doesn't get mentioned often among a crowd that lusts after "reference level" playback: If you position yourself precisely in the "sweet spot" of a basic 5.1-channel system, it is truly amazing how rich and full-bodied the sound is at low dB levels.

Further, the dialogue is well-articulated in such a scenario.

So, while you have to select the correct equipment and calibrate it carefully, you're in store for some satisfying home theater

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks