Room size URGENT...construction starts tomorrow

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by HT91, May 24, 2010.

1. HT91

HT91 Auditioning

Hello everybody

I've been posting for quite a while to try to figure out the sound system

now comes the first part of the work, the room construction

given that I'm building a house right now, I have a choice in the room design

the height (8.5 feet =2.5 meters) and width (13 feet=4 meters) are fixed, all I can do is change the length right now.

I ran it through some calculators, and appearently the room should be either 11 feet in width (the 13 feet being the length), or 19 feet in length

so the calculators give me the choice between 8.5*13*11 or 8.5*13*19

sound isn't an issue, I have more than enough to fill the big room..what I'm wondering is would the smaller room cause reverbration problems??

and what do you think about the dimensions??

please answer me ASAP for the construction of the room's last wall starts tomorrow

thank you all

2. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    If it was me, I would do the 19' with out a question. It gives room for 2 rows of seats or if just one row, it gives space for the surround speakers to blend together.

3. HT91

HT91 Auditioning

ok

and what do you think about the size ratio?

do you have other size ratios that might be better?

4. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
  5. smithb

smithb Screenwriter

Personally, I think you are focusing too much on this one factor. Have you decided yet on screen size, speaker/sub placement, equipment placement, seating size and number, projector and throw distance, lighting, use of acoustic panels, and door placement?

Determining the room dimensions is part of the overall equation but I wouldn't overdue it's significance with regards to short cutting in other areas. A room 14' by 11' is pretty small. However, 13' by 19' would not necessarily by my first choice either depending on the other factor's. My room is actually 18' by 15' which is definitely against what calculator's would recommend but it fits my other needs considering the other factors, and the walls are all acoustically treated. I have no complaints.

6. helenk579

helenk579 Auditioning

Such a very amazing link!

7. helenk579

helenk579 Auditioning

I also think so.

8. TeddM

TeddM Agent

I'd dump the calculator entirely and go for as long a space as you can get. Room calculators have limited usefulness in small rooms which tend to be boomy dues to their limited size.

Proper room design starts with the seating and the placement of eyes and ears. Then based on screen size, you try to keep the seating out of the peakers and valleys sonic-wise.

19' long is still fairly tight for two rows.as you want your last row of seating at least 2' off the back wall.

9. TeddM

TeddM Agent

I'd dump the calculator entirely and go for as long a space as you can get. Room calculators have limited usefulness in small rooms which tend to be boomy dues to their limited size.

Proper room design starts with the seating and the placement of eyes and ears. Then based on screen size, you try to keep the seating out of the peakers and valleys sonic-wise.

19' long is still fairly tight for two rows as you want your last row of seating at least 2' off the back wall.

10. TeddM

TeddM Agent

double post...

11. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

Boomy bass can be corrected with any number of available subwoofer EQs.

12. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    The bigger the room the more flexibility you have for the 98 other theater related decisions you still have to make