What's new

Room 222...Could It Be? (1 Viewer)

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
I bought season 1 as a blind buy. Terrible picture quality but I really loved the show!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
from what was stated, shout sold very few copies of season 2

well, no wonder - an awful lot of complaints about the quality of season 1

and then some arguments here about how this show has no appeal to most people, etc.

there have been other shows that were given poor early season treatment that also did not sell well

no doubt in my mind that a complete series quality release would sell well

this is just another painful example of why i do not ever buy shows UNTIL THEY ARE COMPLETE

i am doing my part to ensure that releases are quality complete series

if that is all we buy, that will be all they make

lately, the releases have been much better quality

i very much think we will eventually get this series out complete and done correctly

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
this is just another painful example of why i do not ever buy shows UNTIL THEY ARE COMPLETE

SECONDED!

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
But what if everyone waited for a complete series and instead only a season or two get released? I can't even imagine how many great series I'd be doing without! Personally, as my collection has gotten so big and I still have several shelves of sets I haven't gotten to yet, I'm now more than happy to have a season or two of shows that I like but aren't necessarily huge favorites. There are also shows I love that have only had a release or two and I would much rather have them than nothing. I can understand where people are coming from who wait but I do think it's a double-edged sword.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
if everyone waited, there would be no 1-season releases.

either they would release the complete series or nothing at all.

that is becoming much more of the norm - evidence wonder years and wkrp

it is one thing to rip the public off by charging them more each season, and then selling a full series set with some extras that the single seasons dont get.

it is even worse to ask the public to pay for an individual season (to show them that it will sell), and then stop making them halfway thru.

the bottom line for me, is that i want to totally abolish that practice of releasing individual seasons. so i absolutely will not support it at all.

i am more than willing to take my chances of full series or nothing. at least when they release it, they will more than likely be releasing a high quality product.

high quality products sell, low quality does not. we want to continue to pound this into their heads, so that we dont get shoddy releases.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
just a caveat - i dont have a problem with them selling individual seasons after they complete the series for people who just want a season or two.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
you mean like they did with wonder years and wkrp ?

dont fool yourselves - the studio has product. it either sits on the shelf gathering dust, or they put it out on dvd and make money.

if they put out good quality complete series, they will make some money.

and if you guys buy each season individually, they will be more than happy to gouge you.

and when your tv shows get stalled after a couple of seasons, all ya gotta do is look in the mirror !!!!!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
the following is just a little secret about life

whether we are talking politicians, lawyers, big businesses, etc. - they all do the same thing

they try to intimidate with scare tactics. and the populace, such that it is, tends to react quickly.

in other words, they react, instead of acting.

this is all about how to manipulate the masses.

just simply dont give in to that stuff.

very often, we accomplish the most, when we do nothing.

do you really think the studios are simply not gonna make money at all, by keeping their stuff on the shelves ?

that is utter nonsense.

but i absolutely guarantee they will try to get every dollar from ya, that they can.

so we buy into all that "put out a season, and see if it sells bs", you can bet your boots that is exactly what they will do.

and if a person is willing to bend over, he has only himself to blame when someone gives him a kick in the behind.

dont allow yourself to get all anxious about everything. things will come when they will come. and if we all behaved that way, there would be no reason for the studios to delay.

many of you are your own worst enemies.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
A complete series release to start things out only makes sense if you're secure that the demand is going to be there and if the amount of content is fairly reasonable in size (Say 5 or 6 seasons at the most).

Unfortunately, for most of this stuff, they have to test the waters first since there's doubts. And if everyone ignored that (Be it a "best of" release, a season 1 release, etc.), they'd just move on and write it off.

Only worth holding off if the quality is horrible. And even then, perhaps only if there's a chance a mass boycott would yield something superior in the end with the issues fixed which usually only works for the highest profile of shows. So I suspect what Room 222 fans got was about the best they could hope for.

Unfortunately for you, I think this was Room 222's one and only chance since it's very low profile today and it bombed on DVD. I doubt FOX will ever commission a remastering of it.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
LeoA said:
I suspect what Room 222 fans got was about the best they could hope for.

Unfortunately for you, I think this was Room 222's one and only chance since it's very low profile today and it bombed on DVD. I doubt FOX will ever commission a remastering of it.
Sadly, I have to agree with you on this. As much as I would like to be wrong, I've said it before, Room 222 is dead on DVD. We'll probably never see it again. I would be very, very, very surprised it if ever turns up on TV again.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
well, i hope you guys understand that i am dead serious in my replies.

certainly not goading you into a reply.

it seems so simple to me.

businesses will get away with whatever we allow them.

i truly think that some of you on this site preach all this pessimism as some sort of emotional protectionist response so supposedly you dont get disappointed.

rationalizations NEVER WORK.

we are ALL DISAPPOINTED that room 222 was given shoddy treatment.

just because a show hasnt been shown in syndication doesnt mean that it wont be released. it just means that it may need a little advertising.

the show is the show. whether people know about it or not, does not change the show at all.

almost everyone in the usa (that was raised in this culture) has heard of leave it to beaver. the overwhelming percentage of people like it. i am in touch with kids in middle school, high school, and college.

so i run the whole gambit.

now lets just play the game of "leave it to beaver not having been in syndication for the last 30 years". does that mean that ward and june are not married ? beaver and wally are not the sons ? eddie is not the wise guy ?

NO to all those questions. so that show has the same potential. in one case, people are MORE AWARE, because they have seen it before. once made aware by some advertising, they would like the show the same as they do now, cuz it is the EXACT SAME SHOW.

room 222 is too good of a show to simply let sit rot and waste. IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN. you can take that to the bank.

and by gosh, most of you had better start saving up. because when it is released, i expect a full interest payment from each and everyone of you who have claimed that it will never be out.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Just a light hearted poke at Travis because he did the same to me in the other thread. :)

Honestly Jimmy, whatever makes you happy, Truth is I completely disagree with your assumptions on pretty much all counts. It's not about being pessimistic, but just being a realist based on what I have experienced. I actually have over 300 different TV shows, and I'm quite happy with what i have with very few complaints. There are only a handful of shows I'd still like to get, but I'm quite content without them if that is the way it is to be. In the end, everything has already been said, neither of us is going to convince the other, so there really isn't any reason to try anymore.

You can feel free to scream from the roof tops whenever a questioned show makes a release, but I'll always know that those are just the outliers when it comes to the more difficult to release shows that remain. But happy rationalizing (BTW that works both ways). Take care and enjoy the debate, but for me its become more humorous now then serious.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"i expect a full interest payment from each and everyone of you who have claimed that it will never be out."Jimmy,

What is your interest rate please? ;)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi ock,

too high - they could not afford me !!

hi brad,

there is so much available that i probably wont be able to eventually watch everything that i end up owning, either !!

room 222 had really been off my radar, like many shows. it was a real happy reminder for me, when you guys started talking about it.

when i watched that first episode though, i realized that watching it with adult eyes, it was a very good show.

sometimes our memories as a kid, are just that.

another show that i just thought of is the farmer's daughter.

havent heard any of you guys mention it ??

i hardly recall anything about it, except that i recall liking it.

i think i was pretty young when it was on, and if i recall, william windom was the father.

every once in awhile, a show pops in my head that was lost in my subconscious !!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Farmer's Daughter was a favorite of mine ,not a "grail show " , but one I watched all the time . I'd definitely buy it if it came out on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks