Room 222...Could It Be?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Brian Himes, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

Well, I placed my order today- I think Amazon will honor the $10.99 price (what a bargain!).

2. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Joe, that's interesting about Amazon not guaranteeing the price if pre-ordered. I'd thought that the price locked in for pre-orders. I need to look at this one again before clicking the order button. It's still in my cart.

3. Corey3rd

Corey3rd Screenwriter

They did this a few years back with the Sgt. Bilko collection. I ordered 3 at the extra low price and they showed up at that price. I've never heard of them jacking up the price after you've placed your order. Now if you just wishlist it - you can have the price go up

4. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    I pre-ordered this the other day, too. The listing has been up for nearly a week. If it is a mistake, I have to think it would somehow have been "red flagged" in their system by now. I think Amazon will be hard-pressed to NOT honor the $10.99 price after actively soliciting orders over an extended period of time.

5. nikkif99uk

nikkif99uk Supporting Actor

I've done the same thing pre-ordered it as a blind buy

6. TV_Fan

TV_Fan Second Unit

Chris H
    I emailed amazon with a general question regarding how they handle price guarantee's if a price increases between the time the order is placed & ship date. Here is their repsonse:
    Hello from Amazon.com.
    Whenever you pre-order a book, CD, video, DVD, software, or video game, the price we charge when we ship it to you will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.com between the time you placed your order and the release date.
    Please note that our Pre-Order Price Guarantee applies only to items sold by Amazon.com, and not to items (or prices) offered by other sellers on our site.
    I've included some additional information below. Thanks for shopping at Amazon.com.
    WHERE CAN I FIND MORE INFORMATION ABOUT AMAZON'S PRICING POLICIES?
    Please visit our Help pages at:
    Amazon.com: Help*>*Payment, Pricing & Promotions*>*Pricing
    They have this info on their website as well. I think everyone who wants to buy this title needs to pre-order it immediately. If they riase the price (I'm still sure this is some kind of error) between now and ship date we can all fight them on it & per their pricing policy as stated on their own website, they have to honor the lowest price.

7. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Good advice. I haven't seen a price this low for a full season set in a while, at least one that I'm interested in adding to the collection. I placed my order a few minutes ago with a couple other items in the cart. It's been a long time since I pre-ordered any TV/DVD set.

8. TV_Fan

TV_Fan Second Unit

Chris H
    I have this on pre-order. It's a blind buy for me but from everything I've heard, it seems like a great show and one many consider a classic. From its sales ranking it seems like a lot of people are taking advantage of the price & doing the same [​IMG]

9. Carabimero

Carabimero Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alan
    I ordered it. I think they'll have to honor the price. They'll definitely have to get customer okay before they charge you more than you agreed on.

10. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I have been holding out, but I've just gone and pre-ordered it too. I'm wondering if there's some 'faulty' reason why the price is so low -- crummy-looking episodes, incomplete, super-compressed, or something?

11. TV_Fan

TV_Fan Second Unit

Chris H
    The actual retail listed is $34.99, the $10.99 price is amazon's own discount so I doubt there's anything wrong with the set. I'm not sure what other retailers have the set priced for on pre-order.

12. vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001 Supporting Actor

Shout! has a good track record of releasing shows unedited, and has listened to complaints from fans about edited episodes on their favorite shows, so why on Earth would you worry about the episodes being butchered?

13. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    What may be going on here, is some kind of sweetheart deal between Amazon and Shout! Factory. Perhaps Shout! is offering Amazon copies at a special discount in an effort to increase awareness for this release and to help create a bigger user base for future volumes. This way, Shout! keeps its normal MSRP in effect so as to not adversely affect margins when the set lands at retail. Mind you, this is just a guess on my part, but I know for a fact that magazine publishers use a similar tactic. In the magazine itself, a one-year subscription price may be $59.95, but going through an outside agency you can get the same thing for $19.95. This way, the magazine's value is preserved to its "traditional" subscribers (who for the most part are unaware of the offer) and meanwhile, the magazine reaps the added benefit of being able to charge more for advertising due to the higher paid circulation.

14. cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly Screenwriter

Willard
    Wow!!! a discount of $24. I was not aware the discount was that big at Amazon. Woohooo!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Well, for a few reasons -- because I didn't realize that Shout! had such a positive track record, or that Shout! was doing this show!
    But I feel better now.

16. Charles Ellis

Say, does anyone know of any other ridiculously low pre-order deals on Amazon?

17. Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker Screenwriter

You might want to regularly check the Amazon sales page at TVShowsonDVD.com. That's where I found this deal.

18. TV_Fan

TV_Fan Second Unit

Chris H
    I wish Mr Belvedere were listed this low [​IMG]

19. TV_Fan

TV_Fan Second Unit

Chris H
    Amazon now has it listed for $31.49. I knew the $10.99 was a fluke. Everyone who pre-ordered it at $10.99 be sure to save your email order comfirmations that you got when you ordered. If amazon tries to charge the higher price show them the proof & throw a fit if needed. They're customer service is usually excellent & they will have a record of the price being this low so I doubt we'll have any problems.

20. Charles Ellis

Well, I checked my Amazon order, and it's still listed at $10.99. Perhaps it was a limited online pre-sale special.