What's new

Rolling Stone's "500 Greatest Albums of All Time" (1 Viewer)

JayMacey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
kyle m
Pink Floyd's TDSOTM is *NOWHERE* near 60 million sold.

First of all, it's a double album, meaning for every one that sells, it counts as two for certification purposes.

TDSOTM #'s by Soundscan, which tracks units SOLD, is at about 15 million, meaning 7.5 million actually own the record (its a double album)

JayMacey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
kyle m
Harvest / Capitol has only produced & shipped 40 million copies worldwide, so it is quite impossible for it to have sold more.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
I don't deny it. The Dark Side of the Moon is still, however, a single album. Which contradicts the point you made earlier about DSOTM being a double album.

I'm just sayin'

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
For an informed opinion on what editorial policy is like at Rolling Stone, I highly suggest the "Hootiegate" chapter of Jim DeRogatis' book MILK IT!...

JordanS

Second Unit
JayMacey

I'm sorry, you are incorrect. I can actually get you the exact number if you want from one of the most reliable sources in the world.

The number is closer to just over 50 million....

Edit: Actually, as of April of 2003, total worldwide DSOTM Album sales are just over 57 million...

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
RIAA's website has Dark Side at 15 million US sales. No stats on worldwide sales, but there is just no way it could have sold 40+ million more outside the US.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
There are some bands who have influential power over all those that follow; Devo's influence was felt through the grunge era in a heavy way and changed the orchestration of a lot of alternative pop, with many alternative bands clinging to some of the concepts brought out by Devo's track happiness and quirks. I think of groups like NiN and others who noted that Devo's beat management played significant part in their music.. Devo, FYI, later released a fantastic underground "cover album" of "Pretty Hate Machine" which is a treasure to listen to ;)

Yes, there are always going to be exclusions, and I think the list is wrong in many ways as far as importance to the genre.. but it's good we get to debate :) Hell, make up your own top 100. Let's see it.

JayMacey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
kyle m
I'm just not sure how you think they can *SELL* more than they actually *MANUFACTURED*.

I'd suggest you get a subscription to Soundscan. It's really pricey, but in it, you'll find that as of two weeks ago, DSOTM has sold about 15 million copies in the US.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Devo, FYI, later released a fantastic underground "cover album" of "Pretty Hate Machine" which is a treasure to listen to
With some internet searching, I can only turn up "Head Like a Hole" on a CD full of other tracks. Can you point me in the right direction towards getting a copy of Devo/Pretty Hate Machine?

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
Isn't Michael Jackson's "Thriller" the biggest selling certified album with over 50 million units sold?? I've heard this from numerous sources. How the hell could "Dark Side of The Moon" sell 57million and no one knows about it? I don't understand????

TedT

Second Unit
rolling stone is now built on corporate conservatism
LOL! I guess you haven't been reading their one sided articles consistantly bashing Bush!

I canceled my subscription because of this! I don't mind them printing the rantings of Eddie Vedder and the Rage Against The Machine kooks (all great for a laugh), but they don't print anything from the other side!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Isn't Michael Jackson's "Thriller" the biggest selling certified album with over 50 million units sold?? I've heard this from numerous sources.
I was under the impression the first "Eagles Greatest Hits" passed "Thriller" a few years ago. Anwyay you look at it, "Dark Side" isn't the biggest selling album ever - at least not in the US...

Derek S

Stunt Coordinator
no dave matthews band? no Crash or Before These Crowded Streets?

surprised i didn't see St. Anger on the list.....

D

John*K

Stunt Coordinator
How about this... assuming that the true set of greatest albums is contained in that 500, how would you order them? I know how i'd go (natch) :)

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator

i meant musically, sorry, should have clarified. i don't care about their politics.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor

Yipes, when I first read the top quote, I was thinking "That's odd, Bush aren't even really relevant on the music scene these days. Sixteen Stone was released like 9 years ago...Maybe they're just jealous of Gavin getting Gwen Stefani...".

That's what you get for skimming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks