What's new

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) (1 Viewer)

Should Rogue One have the usual Star Wars crawl?

• Yes

Votes: 60 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 31.0%

• Total voters

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
'Star Wars: Rogue One' Replaces Its Composer

Damn it. I'm not happy about this. I was looking forward to hear Alexandre Desplat.
Yeah, I'm bummed about this too. Michael Giacchino can do a great takeoff of a John Williams score in his sleep, and that's part of the problem. I was hoping Desplat would depart in some bold ways from the usual Star Wars score. Giacchino will probably deliver a great score, but it's likely to hew much closer to the scores of the saga films than Desplat's would have. Hopefully I'm wrong.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have heard his name many times, but nothing comes to my mind of his scores. I can't even name a movie he has done.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
He won an Oscar for his score for Up, and was nominated for Ratatouille. He also scored Jurassic World last year. His list of credits is impressive. One of my favorites of his is The Incredibles. He's also doing this fall's Doctor Strange.

There was no doubt in my mind that he'd someday do a Star Wars film.

Last edited:

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I am a big Giacchino fan as well. One of his lesser known works (it isn't on his IMDB list) is one of my favorites: he did the entire score* to the film Cloverfield and the Overture is a lot of fun to listen to.

* The overture was the only track of music in the film and played over the end credits

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm not impressed! Nothing special. I'm a music lover and if I liked his work, it would have stayed in my mind.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I am a big Giacchino fan as well. One of his lesser known works (it isn't on his IMDB list) is one of my favorites: he did the entire score* to the film Cloverfield and the Overture is a lot of fun to listen to.

* The overture was the only track of music in the film and played over the end credits

I am a fan of that track too - and it runs over 12 minutes!

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I was very much looking forward to what Desplat was going to do for a space-noir gritty war film taking place in the Star Wars universe "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away". Evidently the tone of the film has changed so much since the reshoots that Giacchino is being called in to go for that more traditional John Williamsesque triumphant score.

Why do I get the feeling Disney wants to play it safe and have this subconsciously be Episode III¾: Rogue One?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Evidently the tone of the film has changed so much since the reshoots that Giacchino is being called in to go for that more traditional John Williamsesque triumphant score.
According to The Hollywood Reporter article, the reason for Giacchino coming on is that the reshoots bumped up the schedule to score the movie and Desplat was no longer available. Even if they wanted a more traditional SW movie and score (which is 100% the right move for the first spin-off movie), I'm sure Desplat is capable of that so I see no reason to doubt it's a scheduling conflict.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
According to The Hollywood Reporter article, the reason for Giacchino coming on is that the reshoots bumped up the schedule to score the movie and Desplat was no longer available. Even if they wanted a more traditional SW movie and score (which is 100% the right move for the first spin-off movie), I'm sure Desplat is capable of that so I see no reason to doubt it's a scheduling conflict.

Yes, but you can't deny that Desplat is a more eccentric and less mainstream choice than Giacchino for a Star Wars film.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yes, but you can't deny that Desplat is a more eccentric and less mainstream choice than Giacchino for a Star Wars film.

I don't know that I agree with that. Desplat has followed in Williams' footsteps before - Desplat scored the final two Harry Potter movies.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't know that I agree with that. Desplat has followed in Williams' footsteps before - Desplat scored the final two Harry Potter movies.
That was part of what excited me about the choice of Desplat for the first non-saga film: He'd already proven with the Deathly Hallows films that he could maintain continuity with Williams's themes while turning in a starkly different product.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks