What's new

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) (1 Viewer)

Should Rogue One have the usual Star Wars crawl?

• Yes

Votes: 60 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 31.0%

• Total voters

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Whitaker's first line in the trailer is where it lost me: "The world is coming undone. Imperial flags reign across the galaxy." First problem: this is a story about planet hopping characters with a galaxy wide perspective, so talking about "the world" threw me. It might play better in the context of the movie. Second problem: The second sentence is a George Lucas level clunker. Flags flap, flags flutter, flags hang. They don't reign.

Then Mon Mothma's line: "A major weapons test is imminent. We need to know how to destroy it." I'm hoping these are two separate pieces of dialog that the trailer shoved together, because you don't destroy a weapons test, you destroy the weapon being tested. Again, inartful wording.

Then a continuing stream of cliched dialog from countless movies for the remainder of the trailer.

But it definitely looks absolutely gorgeous. Since Apple doesn't publicize its downloads anymore, here is a direct link to the 1080p QuickTime version of the trailer.

Trailer looks nice. But the "I rebel" line seems very douchechilling to me (I forget if it was in this latest trailer though)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
But it definitely looks absolutely gorgeous. Since Apple doesn't publicize its downloads anymore, here is a direct link to the 1080p QuickTime version of the trailer.

Thank you so much. I always want those apple 1080p versions but it is not easy to find their direct link to download even with quicktime. How do you do it?

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Whitaker's first line in the trailer is where it lost me: "The world is coming undone. Imperial flags reign across the galaxy." First problem: this is a story about planet hopping characters with a galaxy wide perspective, so talking about "the world" threw me. It might play better in the context of the movie. Second problem: The second sentence is a George Lucas level clunker. Flags flap, flags flutter, flags hang. They don't reign.

Then Mon Mothma's line: "A major weapons test is imminent. We need to know how to destroy it." I'm hoping these are two separate pieces of dialog that the trailer shoved together, because you don't destroy a weapons test, you destroy the weapon being tested. Again, inartful wording.

Then a continuing stream of cliched dialog from countless movies for the remainder of the trailer.

I don't agree with your assessment on the lines. Flags can also be symbolic of governments. Governments (with its flags) do reign. I find no problem with that.

As to Mon Mothma's statement? Well, I doubt that line is all she says in the entire movie. Surely there were comments directly related to the Death Star prior to that line, then it be more in line with your thinking. Lots of dialog about the Death Star, then she says the test is imminent, then "We need to know how to destroy it." It being the thing they probably talked about right before that.

Just a guess of course. If they all talked about what to get for lunch before that line, then you're right.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
No, no no... you're all wrong. It's a propaganda war. The Empire is using their TIE Bombers to drop palates of little Imperial flags on planets throughout the galaxy in an effort to drum up support against those pesky rebels and their annoying raids.

So Imperial flags are "raining" across the galaxy.

Simple.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
yeah looks good. Really good. But like some here, I like the shorter teasers better. Less is always more. :) But that said, this has me pretty excited. Whitaker's not my favorite actor but we'll see...

Me likey.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Unless this movie is leaning much more into comedy than I expect, Donald Glover would be a huge mistake for that character. I feel bad saying that because I loved Donald Glover on Community but he does not even remotely have the charisma or swagger of Billy Dee Williams/Lando Calrissian. And having seen his performance in The Martian (which was just him playing 'Troy playing Abed' like they did in an episode of Community), his talent lies in playing comedy. Best wishes to Donald Glover (I wish that he'd have gotten that Spider-Man gig) but my fingers are crossed that this is another BS rumor.

Last edited:

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Lando isn't heavy drama, either. I'm assuming he'll mostly have scenes that are on the lighter side where the character's charm/smoothness (which is closer to comedy than drama) need to be conveyed, a few action scenes that require... action acting, and then maybe a couple more serious/dramatic scenes of the "This deal is getting worse all the time" variety. A comedic actor needing to pull off a few such dramatic scenes is usually a better situation than a dramatic actor trying to pull off a few comedic scenes.

I expect the Han Solo film to be the most lighthearted adventure of the new films by far, considering Lord & Miller are making it. It's gonna have comedic scenes.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ I hope you're right. I still don't see Donald Glover possessing let alone bringing Billy Dee Williams' natural charm to the table in any, way, shape or form but maybe he'll surprise me and after the movie, I'll be laughing at how wrong these posts end up being.

Last edited:

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Had Billy Dee Williams his charmes already when he was younger as when he was in Star Wars back in the 80's?
Same goes for Harrison Ford.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks