What's new

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) (1 Viewer)

Should Rogue One have the usual Star Wars crawl?

• Yes

Votes: 60 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 31.0%

• Total voters

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I 100% hate that idea. I thought these "Star Wars Story" films were suppose to be one time spin-offs. Now they are creating a second Star Wars saga series based all on Han Solo. Look, Solo is a great character but, maybe I'm weird because I've never had any interest in his backstory.
I feel the same way. I want the anthology films to each seize the opportunity to explore new corners of the Star Wars universe and tell gripping standalone stories. For that reason Rogue One interests me a heck of a lot more than the young Han Solo one, even before it ballooned from one film into three plus movies.

Also, Alden Ehrenreich is 26. Harrison Ford is was 33-34 when he filmed the original Star Wars. In the saga films, the recasts (Obi-Wan, Anakin, Mon Mothma) have generally worked because there's been a large time gap between the ages of the character (like Dominic Cooper as young Howard Stark and John Slattery as middle-aged Howard Stark in the Marvel films).

If they do three Han Solo films with Ehrenreich, he'll almost certainly be as old or older than Ford was when he started in the role. At that point, the suspension of disbelief required to accept both actors as the same person becomes much harder to muster.

I also think Disney is in danger of killing the golden goose by over-exploiting the franchise. A major part of what made the first seven films such huge hits was the scarcity of them; never less than three years and as many as 16 years passed between each movie. Demand had time to build up again. If they start releasing two or more Star Wars films every year, journeying to a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away will start to feel a lot less special, and a lot less like an event.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I on the other hand couldn't care less for Han Solo or Obi-Wan films. I'll see them of course. [emoji13]
It's the Star Wars curse for me. Because its a Star Wars movie I'll most likely see them, but being such a fan of the OT, I'm sure I'll have plenty of things to bitch about after.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I on the other hand couldn't care less for Han Solo or Obi-Wan films. I'll see them of course. [emoji13]

I'm not interested in any Han Solo movies and I'm less excited for Star Wars movies than I used to be but I will still see them. Rogue One looks good.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I'm hoping that these are adventures with a more roguish/criminal Han Solo rather than an origin story. There's plenty of potential in a stories where Han Solo is pulling a caper or trying to find a treasure or running drugs for a Hutt crime syndicate

I don't think we'll ever see that type of aspect from Disney.

I don't like the idea of a trilogy for Han Solo. His perceived back story should not be told by Disney, and as another person has said already look what was done with Darth Vader's back story.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If they start releasing two or more Star Wars films every year, journeying to a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away will start to feel a lot less special, and a lot less like an event.
I agree and I've been saying the same thing since Disney bought Star Wars but I doubt they'll even try to do more than one movie a year. And if/when they start seeing the grosses on the spin-offs dipping, they have to be smart enough to know to pump the brakes so they don't flood the market and they can keep the franchise alive (and, most importantly, making money) as long as possible.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I'm all for a bunch of Han Solo movies, and a bunch of Obi-Wan movies. They're obviously following the Marvel example, with three films about the major players (Iron Man, Thor, Captain America) and other films to broaden the universe (Ant Man, Black Panther, Guardians, etc.).
But is it really broadening the universe? One of the things I don't like about the SW movies is that it seems everybody seems to know everybody else, or is related to someone we already know. That diminishes the sense of a larger galaxy of events.

I on the other hand couldn't care less for Han Solo or Obi-Wan films. I'll see them of course.
That's exactly what Disney is counting on. What I'd enjoy seeing is one or more instances of Han offing a character who thinks he has the drop on him, giving a nice big middle finger to Mr. Revisionist.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Is the media overhyping the Han Solo trilogy angle, or is it just that Ehrenreich has been signed for 3 movies, which would be a standard agreement.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
But is it really broadening the universe? One of the things I don't like about the SW movies is that it seems everybody seems to know everybody else, or is related to someone we already know. That diminishes the sense of a larger galaxy of events.

That's exactly what Disney is counting on. What I'd enjoy seeing is one or more instances of Han offing a character who thinks he has the drop on him, giving a nice big middle finger to Mr. Revisionist.

JJ already did that when Han threw the guy into the mouth of the ralthar. I love that little moment.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Personally, I'm really looking forward to the spin-offs of the spin-offs. You know it's coming.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I would like to point out that the poll to at the top of the thread asks "Should" Rogue One have a crawl, not "Will" Rogue One have a crawl. Those are two very different questions.

In my opinion it should, but I am starting to think it won't.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I'm fine without a crawl, but I feel to tie everything together there should be the "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...." title card.

latest

Now, should it get the gold STAR WARS against a starfield?

TitleCard2_hr.jpg

Surely they are aware that they have to put it somewhere at the beginning to "brand" it as part of the Star Wars franchise for identification purposes while making it clear to a certain demographic of the audience not to confuse it as part of the episodic trilogies. It would be interesting and daring to simply start the film right after "A long time ago...." or do they use this title card?

rogue-one-title-treatment.jpg

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm fine without a crawl, but I feel to tie everything together there should be the "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...." title card.
I'm sure that they'll have the "A long time ago..." on there but as far as I'm concerned, if the crawl isn't important to the movie, there's no real reason to put the "A long time ago..." on there either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks