What's new

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) (1 Viewer)

Should Rogue One have the usual Star Wars crawl?

• Yes

Votes: 60 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 31.0%

• Total voters

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I personally will be very upset if she's Obi-Wan's granddaughter. I feel like the current custodians of the Star Wars legacy should feel free to invent anything they want after Return of the Jedi, but I don't want to see them retcon anything from before that period. After six movies plus six seasons of a TV show making it pretty clear that Obi-Wan was a solitary guy, giving him a family now would just be too much for me to be able to accept.
I always say it but as far as I'm concerned, Obi-Wan didn't do much but sit around his hut and watch sand blow around for 19 years so I basically agree with you. That being said, my thought is that if they plan on making Obi-Wan movie(s) at some point, Obi-Wan being Rey's grandfather automatically gives them pieces of a story (a female character, a doomed romance) that can be used for a movie. It's not like Obi-Wan has to be a deadbeat dad because I think that his girl will leave or die and he will be unaware of even having a daughter (a la Vader and Luke & Leia which would be another repeated theme in the SW movies). Another big reason for thinking that it's Obi-Wan is because if they've made Rey's parentage a mystery, it seems likely that it'll be an existing movie character and to me there's no one but Obi-Wan to choose from. Also, they made a point to edit a piece of audio having Alec Guiness say "Rey" and had Ewan McGregor record new dialogue for The Force Awakens so it seems important that Obi-Wan be 'talking' to her.

Keep in mind that I'm the guy that was bet-the-house 100% positive that there'd be a crawl on RO so my guess rate for Star Wars isn't exactly good. :laugh:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
When they make the Obi-Wan trilogy, then they have to add crawls! Hows that for a mind bending thought! :D

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
By the way, I'm surprised nobody mentioned this. When they announced the young Han Solo actor, they said they tested him with Chewbacca!

This could mean many things. At best the Solo solo movie will be with Chewbacca. I'm dreading to see him in the same old cloths and in Millennium Falcon.

At worst Chewy could be in Rogue One!
It's pretty common for actors to screen test using a scene from other films. For all we know they had the final five or so guys perform their own version of a Han/Chewie scene from one of the OT films.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The guy they chose for Han looks charming and could work lookswise but I was surprised by his voice. He has a high pitched voice which is the opposite of what you expect from Han Solo.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Question, did they shoot this movie digital or on film?
Per this American Cinematographer interview with Kathleen Kennedy: Digital, using the new-ish Arri Alexa 65 cameras and Ultra Panavision 70 lenses. Everything I've seen so far looks spectacular.

It does make me chuckle a bit, Abrams and Johnson's insistence on shooting the saga films on film, given that Episodes II and III were some of the earliest digital features.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Thanks. Strange. If there was only one movie to shoot on film, it is Rogue One. They should have shot it on film. It's more appropriate for this to be on film than TFA.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks. Strange. If there was only one movie to shoot on film, it is Rogue One. They should have shot it on film. It's more appropriate for this to be on film than TFA.

They likely didn't have the time or budget to do so - I know that sounds crazy for a Star Wars movie, but Gareth Edwards is basically a new director, not someone like J.J. Abrams who can say, "I make a movie on film or I don't make it at all." Also, the movie was shot on the new-ish Arri camera that approximates 70mm film, and they used the same Ultra Panavision lenses that Tarantino used on Hateful Eight - no word yet on whether the movie will be released at a 2.76:1 aspect ratio as Tarantino's movie was. There's probably no chance that Edwards would have been allowed to shoot 70mm, but shooting digital and using those lenses probably was not a difficult compromise to reach.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I 100% hate that idea. I thought these "Star Wars Story" films were suppose to be one time spin-offs. Now they are creating a second Star Wars saga series based all on Han Solo. Look, Solo is a great character but, maybe I'm weird because I've never had any interest in his backstory. Part of what made him great was the other characters around him. Before "A New Hope" he was just a smuggler that finally chose to help others in IV. I'm going to hate these movies if they make him a hero before "A New Hope", that would not be the character I grew up with.

Of all the spin-offs announced, the Solo film is the one that turns me off the most. It just doesn't make sense to me.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm not a fan of trilogies being created for backstories either. Bad idea, unless you're the suits at Disney who want to milk the Star Wars cash cow as much as they can for as long as they can. Just look at what happened when Lucas decided we all needed to know about Vader's backstory. It absolutely ruined the character for me.

Something that I've always liked about Han Solo is the mystery, if you want to call it that, surrounding where he came from and what he was up to before the events of A New Hope. Some things are better left ambiguous.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I guess we have to kiss goodbye the Obi-Wan trilogy! And are they going to add crawls now?!! :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping that these are adventures with a more roguish/criminal Han Solo rather than an origin story. There's plenty of potential in a stories where Han Solo is pulling a caper or trying to find a treasure or running drugs for a Hutt crime syndicate (probably won't see that one though).

The real potential pitfall (to me) is copying Marvel where the movie is loaded with cameos and bits that lead into the next movie. I don't want to see Mon Mothma, Han Solo and the characters from Rogue One fighting Boba Fett & Jabba The Hutt as Darth Vader almost came across them and then they stop by an Alderaanian castle & walk past a young Princess Leia.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm all for a bunch of Han Solo movies, and a bunch of Obi-Wan movies. They're obviously following the Marvel example, with three films about the major players (Iron Man, Thor, Captain America) and other films to broaden the universe (Ant Man, Black Panther, Guardians, etc.).

I think Lucasfilm will do as fine a job with the Star Wars movies as Marvel has with theirs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks