What's new

Rogue Leader gets DPL II. Whopee, yeah, hoorah! NOT!!! (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I doubt that Rogue Leader is going to be 5 discrete channels with full bandwidth that DD is capable of providing.
Well, yes, that's just about what DPLII does. Five, full-bandwidth channels with separation approaching that for a discrete system. I'm guessing that anyone who is down on Rogue Leader using DPLII has never actually heard DPLII in action.
For comparison, Rogue Squadron on the N64 in DPL is nice. Using DPLII, however, the sound is significantly more directional, and can be used to track enemies fairly well. And this is from a stereo signal, not tweaked for DPLII, on prior-gen hardware. I fully expect Rogue Leader, using DPLII, to provide five-channel, directional sound, nearly the same as you'd get using DD 5.1 on the other systems.
The real problem, I think, is that DPLII is new enoough that not many people will be able to take advantage of it.
Is DD better for directional sound? Yes. But DPLII is very capable, and I think will do amazing things with video games.

brian a

Second Unit
If DPL2 is five discrete channels at full bandwidth, what is the advantage of DD at all. Will all of the threads in the future be DD vs DTS vs DPL2?
I haven't heard it. I'm just asking because it sounds like everyone is saying that it's DD over analog lines.
brianca

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If DPL2 is five discrete channels at full bandwidth, what is the advantage of DD
DPL2 isn't discrete -- it can come close, but it is still a matrixed sound format (it decodes a stereo signal). Dolby Digital, and such, are superior to DPL2, without a doubt. But DPL2 can do a surprisingly good job.
Of course, I wish the GCN had DD5.1, but since it doesn't, support for DPL2 is nice. And I bet those guys at Factor5 (makers of Rogue Leader) will bring out some DD-like effects using a mere stereo signal :)
Of course, I could be wrong. And I look forward to hearing some good DD5.1 encoded games on the XBOX.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
DPL2 is so new that nobody can take advantage of it...kinda sounds like the high def, 5.1, and broadband included in the XB. I don't want to start a flame war, but I think its interesting how the argument has shifted from one to the other.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Try going to best buy and counting the receivers that offer DD and the ones that offer DPLII. The answer you seek is in the numbers. DD is very close to main stream now, DPLII is not.

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Camp,
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My sentiments exactly!
rolleyes.gif

I stay sane by the realization that he's only a kid!
Troy
------------------
:My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Dean-
Then again, look at how many people have DD5.1, HDTV, and broadband internet. Compare that to people who have DPLII and that would be a better comparison.
I said that I was just pointing something out and didn't want to start a war. DPLII is great, as is high def, 5.1, and broadband, even if nobody has them. Then again, DPLII isn't a GCN thing, its more a Rogue Leader thing and the GCN can output it.

brian a

Second Unit
It seems that the argument is being carried out as if GC offers DPLII and XBOX DD and they bang heads. But isn't it the case that XBOX is just as capable of passing a DPLII signal?
So XBOX has both and GC only has one.
Advantage XBOX.
Where am I wrong in this logic on this one issue?
brianca..

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The GCN doesn't even have DPLII as a capability, it just has one of its most anticipated games using it. The GCN is capable of DTS, also.
The XB can do 5.1 and high-def. The GCN can do DTS and I can do high-def (I think its 480p). The XB does have the advantage. I never doubted that. I was just showing how weird it is that someone is complaining about how the GCN has a game that does something nobody can take advantage of, when the XB has more than just one thing that few people can take advantage of. It all comes down to how well these things are done in the games.

Gary King

Second Unit
480p isn't high definition.
DTS signals can't be output without *digital* audio ports, of which the Gamecube has none (at least none that anyone knows about).
And, Dolby Digital sound systems are almost commodity items these days (the cheapest 5.1 systems can be found for ~$200). There's no reason why DPL2 logic can't be put in the ultra low-budget hardware, but it isn't yet.
I believe the reason the thread started with a slightly negative backlash about DPL2 was in response to Factor 5's trumpeting DPL2 as some sort of second coming, fixing all the latency problems inherent in real-time Dolby Digital encoding. The real latency difference between the two techniques is .5-1.5 frames at most, which can't be perceived, anyway.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So XBOX has [DD5.1] and GC [doesn't]. Advantage XBOX.
Yes, I agree. But since the GCN doesn't do DD5.1, I'm excited to see a game specifically coded to take advantage of DPL2. I think/hope this will provide a fair substitute for DD5.1 on the GCN. But, yes, any system could provide sound encoded for DPL2 if desired.
The biggest issue is that so few people have a DPL2 capable receiver, compared to those with DD5.1.

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
quote: I believe the reason the thread started with a slightly negative backlash about DPL2 was in response to Factor 5's trumpeting DPL2 as some sort of second coming, fixing all the latency problems inherent in real-time Dolby Digital encoding. The real latency difference between the two techniques is .5-1.5 frames at most, which can't be perceived, anyway.[/quote]
Thank you Gary.
Oh and
quote: 480p isn't high definition.[/quote]
thank you and
DTS signals can't be output without *digital* audio ports, of which the Gamecube has none (at least none that anyone knows about).
thank you!
Whew, I think I'm done. :)
Troy
------------------
:My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

[Edited last by Troy LaMont on November 01, 2001 at 12:26 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks