What's new

Roger Rabbit Vista Series review up............. (1 Viewer)

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I'm not going to deny myself one of my favorite films because of a few missing frames.

Frankly, I am always amused by all of the huffing, puffing and footstomping that goes on over relatively minor issues like this.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Sad, but that seems to be how North America views ANYTHING that is animated, or contains animation.
I didn't say ANYTHING animated, I said Roger Rabbit. Don't fool yourself. Yes, it's got some humor that adults can enjoy too. But so do most Bugs Bunny cartoons, and those are Saturday morning kiddie fare. The movie features dozens of children's animation icons. Its PRIMARY (note that I don't say ONLY) audience is children. Most people buying this title will not be uptight DVD collectors, they'll be parents buying a movie for their kids to watch. To insist that it contain material not suitable for children is nuts.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
While I can certainly understand the disappointment that the film has been edited in any fashion, I am still surprised by the vehemence of the reaction. I guess I'd like to ask a question: if the film were theatrically released as it's being released on DVD, would the film still be enjoyable? Would you want to own it?

Would I prefer the original uneduted version? Sure. But I have a hard time getting worked up over changes that don't really change the viewing experience. If you want to boycott this disc over this issue, go ahead, but Disney is not going to cave on this. You're never going to get the version you want. The decision to boycott is a decision to do without forever.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Most people buying this title will not be uptight DVD collectors, they'll be parents buying a movie for their kids to watch. To insist that it contain material not suitable for children is nuts.
I agree... which was really my point. Disney will not, ever, release a version of the movie with those few frames intact BECAUSE most of the sales will go to parents buying for their kids.
I'm just REALLY thankful they are releasing this!!! WITH an OAR version in the set... :D

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
No sale for me. :frowning:
I don't care how "minor" the changes are, it's the principle. I'd rather spend my money on uncensored DVDs.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Most people buying this title will not be uptight DVD collectors, they'll be parents buying a movie for their kids to watch. To insist that it contain material not suitable for children is nuts.
Again, those few frames aren't going to make that much difference; the point some of us are trying to make is that it's an odd choice to pick that particular moment in the film to alter, when there are other, more obvious parts that would be questionable for children.

I would prefer that the film be uncensored, especially since it was released through Touchstone, the label created specifically by Disney for these edgier films. But, as I said before, I'm still buying it; I'm just saying it was an odd choice, all things considered.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
I had an opportunity to see some of the restored version of the film last week (albeit in a 4:3 version, and not on DVD), and the "finger" scene was definitely intact.
I am a little disappointed with this disc's spec's though - I have two contemporary "Making of..." featurettes on tape, which don't seem to be on the on the DVD. One of them, Secrets of Toon Town was an hour long. Of course, the useful footage may yet turn out to be on the disc, but it does seem at this stage to fall far short of being the definitive WFRR? disc.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter

Well, imdb is mistaken -- the animation was deliberate. In the frame freeze, Bettie's breasts and nips are clearly seen for one frame as she bends to adjust her stocking. She's practically topless.

One of the guys that worked for me back in the early 90's created a gag reel of all the nude scenes from the films that were in our official ship's library. I watched as he re-recorded the Bettie boob scene over and over, freezing the frame so she popped in and out of her dress. It was pretty funny.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
So, what we're saying here is that the Mou$e used the same negative as the previously censored DVD, and not the fully restored version that was supposedly recently completed?
I have, thank God, a second generation CAV laserdisc of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? with most (the Betty Boop and phone number had been erased which supposedly had been in the previous LD release) of the "naughty" stuff still there.
It does contain the famous Baby Herman "finger up the dress" moment. He not only sticks out his finger, but you can clearly see his facial expression change into a devilishly lavasious grin and his baby teeth morph into little fangs for a split second. My friends and I used to get a real kick out of this section as it fits Baby Herman (who really isn't a kid, but a horny man trapped in a baby's body due to the cruelty of whoever drew him :D ) to a tee.
That's really too bad about Disney's tampering with a classic like this, and I may have to rethink purchasing it. And before some of you call this stupid on my part, even Leonard Maltin (the hand picked, authorized critic/historian and paid spokesperson for all things Disney) wrote that WFRR was not intended to be for kids (just as the book on which this is based was not for the younger crowd even though it had animals as the main characters). That's why the powers that be at Disney put it under their adult Touchstone label (and Splash, which came under the same scrutiny).
It's adult animation and Disney should keep their stinkin' paws off of it!!
Dan

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator
I'll pass - getting really tired of this studio deciding what is acceptable for me to view.

Joel C

Screenwriter
He still makes the face, his arm is simply placed at his side.

It's amazing, this same conversation takes place every time WFRR? is mentioned, and the debate between the "No Censor-shippers" and the "Get over Yourself-ers" remains a stalemate.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
They're not. They're deciding what's acceptable to be released under their company name. They have that right, you know?
But they already released the material in question when they showed it theatrically. Now, if they had their shit together and spotted it before the theatrical release, that would be a whole other story. The problem is this: they're not giving us what we originally saw, which is insulting and unacceptable.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
The problem is this: they're not giving us what we originally saw, which is insulting and unacceptable.
As if these three very small moments were the whole point of WFRR. None of these issues would even come to light if it weren't for people with pause buttons and too much time on their hands.

I, for one, can enjoy this movie just fine without a couple of juvenile pranks by the animators. It's not like Greedo fired first or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks