What's new

Roger Ebert reviewing again in 2007 (Passed Away: See Post #158) (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Adam Lenhardt said:
Can we all agree to start a seperate thread if Ebert's health takes a turn for the worse in the future? Everytime this thread pops to the top I'm afraid something's happened to him...
A separate thread, but only when he goes to the big balcony in the sky.
We'll do that for you too Adam. :)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Adam Lenhardt said:
Yeah definitely.
Can we all agree to start a seperate thread if Ebert's health takes a turn for the worse in the future? Everytime this thread pops to the top I'm afraid something's happened to him...
Me too.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
And me.

I changed the title once more.

I'm also buying many of his book, to show my support in the way it matters. After reading so many of his reviews for free, I thought it fitting to start purchasing the books (Yearbook 2007 latest, just received).

Cees

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Ebert and his wife did an interview with a local Chicago news station in November where they revealed that one final surgery was planned that hopefully would restore Roger's ability to speak. It appears that tomorrow (January 24th) may be the day. The Chicago Tribune reports on their web site that the surgery is to be performed at a Houston-area hospital. I wish him the best of luck. :emoji_thumbsup:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
what that video shows is that roger still can't talk and probably won't be able to
for a long time.
they are going to eventually attempt a surgery to help him be able to speak again.
his spirits seem good, he uses a speech program to talk to billy bush from his computer.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I believe (but am not certain) that that interview was filmed before his most recent surgery. It's possible that the most recent surgery was the one to attempt to restore his voice.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
you may be right but then i'm confused why post it now without saying that.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't sure, so I thought people would just intuit it for themselves. The reason I posted it now is because Access Hollywood only recently added it to their website.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This year seems to be paralleling last year. Both years began with Ebert recovering from major surgery, and both will apparently feature Ebert reentering the public sphere with an appearance at his film festival:
Ebertfest spotlights critic's favorites
For someone with such serious health problems, it's amazing the way he bounces back. After a major medical disability, most celebrities -- even the ones who live for many more years -- fade out of the public eye to be remembered as they were in their prime. Not Ebert, not only is he unashamed to be voiceless and disfigured, but he bounces back and continues to be socially relevant. I look forward to him resuming his regular duties, as he miraculously did last year, sometime soon.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
In a story on Chicago's ABC affiliate this evening, Roger Ebert announced that he will resume writing shortly after his Overlooked Film Festival in April. Unfortunately there were complications again with his latest surgery and it did not restore his speaking ability. Would have loved to see him reviewing on television again, but I'm happy he's still able to write at that he's still cancer-free.

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
Hope he gets better, and I look forward to reading his reviews. I love his insights and takes of movies. I just hope they don't parade him around T.V. like Dick Clark on New Years day(Have to change the channel). If he is going to look like the condition they showed him on the news I don't think it will make for good T.V., plus his writing to me was always way better than the show.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
He seemed to have reconciled himself to the possibility that he'll never speak again: "I am still cancer-free, and not ready to think about more surgery at this time. I should be content with the abundance I have."

It's weird to think of a man whose face is mangled and jaw is missing as healthy, but from the sound of things he's as healthy as can be expected under the circumstances. I've always been a bigger fan of his print work than his television work anyway, so I'll just be happy to have him back in that capacity.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Roger is recovering at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago after surgery to repair a minor hip injury. He tripped and fell in Florida, where he had gone to continue physical therapy in preparation for his film festival, Ebertfest, which runs April 23-27.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Can't say I blame him. On one hand, rumors have swirled that Disney's done some really underhanded shit trying to capitalize on Ebert's infirmity. On the other hand, Roeper signed on to cohost with Roger Ebert. It's been looking increasingly likely that Ebert would never be able to return to the show.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
He seemed to have reconciled himself to the possibility that he'll never speak again: "I am still cancer-free, and not ready to think about more surgery at this time. I should be content with the abundance I have."
It's weird to think of a man whose face is mangled and jaw is missing as healthy, but from the sound of things he's as healthy as can be expected under the circumstances. I've always been a bigger fan of his print work than his television work anyway, so I'll just be happy to have him back in that capacity.
You would think the guy would be in a living hell right now (and maybe he is) but reviews are brimming with (apparently) effortless, ironic humor and even joie de vivre!
--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks