Rock Star vs. Almost Famous

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by steve jaros, Sep 8, 2001.

1. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    Almost Famous was hyped by refugees of the 70s who bathed in its nostalgia, but it was kind of boring if you couldn't share those memories.
    In contrast, Rock Star can be enjoyed by anyone. It's more engaging on a story level. What's more exciting - writing about Rock Stars or getting to be one? And Marky Mark is much more appealing and charismatic than that forgettable nerd who played the lead in AF. Jennifer Aniston matches Kate Hudson in the female lead category.
    Plus, at the very end of the credits they do something quite funny with Mr. Wahlberg and his history as a rapper.
    Anyway, go see Rock Star. It's a pleasant surprise, and it's better than Almost Famous.
    In My Humble-Pie Opinion of course...

2. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

3. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

4. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    Edwin - the music is bad 80s rock - lame Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, stuff like that. Doesn't bother the film, though.
    As for Hedgwick, i live in the sticks and those films don't make it out to my neck of the woods. So i'll have to catch it on DVD.
    ------------------
    History can be cruel in its brevity of words

5. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

6. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Yah...I'm with them. Almost Famous really had nothing to do with the 70's as far as "deeper meaning" ...I was born in 1981, and had it as number dos on my top ten last year. I thought that Almost Famous was about coming of age, seeing that the world isn't perfect, and adapting...not just 70's music.

7. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

Well I was born in 1980 and I didn't think AF was worth anywhere near all of the hype that it recieved. I also don't think that Kate Hudson is a good actor. Sure she is cute but so Denise Richards and that don't make her a good actor either.
    Aaron

8. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    'Almost Famous' is not a rock movie. It's a coming of age film set around rock stars. It's about that inevitable first heartbreak. It's about the passion of youth.
    I saw Rock Star at a free screening last week and it was just dreadful. It plays to the fantasy most people have of becoming a rock star, which isn't nearly as universal a theme as those explored in 'Almost Famous'. And for the record im 28 and the 70's is a hazy Sesame Street/Looney Tunes filled memory.

9. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I've seen all 3 music-related films mentioned above, and
    enjoyed them all, for different reasons. "Rock Star" definitely has the weakest and most predictable storyline, but I absolutely LOVE 80's hard rock, and thus found it entertaining enough. The concert sequences were so nostalgic and authentic to me. For "Hedwig", I particularly enjoyed it's poignant story, energy, and John Cameron Mitchell's terrific performance. "Almost Famous" was a sweet coming-of-age story, with good performances from the ensemble.

10. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Matthew,
    I've seen your sig numerous times, but until now the obvious truth has escaped me: you are Patrick Fugit, star of Almost Famous.
    The jig is up.
    Jon
    ------------------
    "This one goes to eleven." (Nigel Tufnel)