What's new

Rock Star: Supernova (1 Viewer)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11506178/

I liked Rock Star:INXS a lot. I liked INXS OK, but was never a huge fan, but having the chance to watch what was essentially karaoke was cool; the singers overall were pretty talented and I had a good time watching the show.

Part of what made the show was them performing the group's songs in different ways. I'll watch the Rock Star: Supernova, but I don't think it will have the impact. Besides that, any show with Tommy Lee on it is just going for shock value -- the guy is painful to listen to. I'm going to have a tough time listening to him show after show after show. The last down for me is that you have Tommy Lee (who is destined to go back to Crue), Newstad (who is just trying for some publicity for his other band) and Clark (who will tour with GNR this summer). Ultimately, this band is going nowhere, unlike INXS that seemed like it was legitmately looking towards the next phase in their careers.

Doug

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
I really enjoyed the INXS season.

INXS had a catalog of hits that many people recognize. We got to see the hopefuls sing some great classic rock songs and then see how they fit in to an existing band's repertoire.

I was rooting for INXS as they were being held back from continued success due to an event that was out of their control. This is the same reason I applaud Brian May and Roger Taylor's of Queen’s latest endeavors.

This "Supernova" idea does nothing for me. I am no fan of any member of this "super group" and do not care if they succeed.

I feel this season is going to bomb and we will never have the opportunity for a 3rd season, because of this. I'd rather they wait until they can find a REAL band with some history who’s ready to give it a try, than force this bone-headed "super group" idea on us.

C

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I wasn't a fan of the INXS show, but I might actually watch this one. Although "personality" aside, I wish they would have picked a drummer with actual talent.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, tonight's the night of the premiere for Rockstar: Supernova. Half hour into the show so far, and I guess I like 2 of the 5 (Storm and the blonde dude singing acoustic, maybe Ryan). Patrice was a little underwhelming. Magni was a poser.

Liked Josh's voice (though probably not quite a fit for the band), and Jenny's got a nice sounding voice, but doesn't seem to be able to project loudly if the song required it. Couldn't stand Zayra's vocals at all.

Hoffer looked like he was showing up for Monkees Idol. Dilana scared the crap out of me.

Dana had a big husky voice but not much of a melodic quality to it. Phil just flat out stunk up the stage. Jill was too much of a screamer.

Chris was horrific, but Lukas pretty much brought it home.

Marc L

Stunt Coordinator

He's gotta be. The ONE thing TL has is drum skillz. Not much on personality, no vocal talent, not a very good writer, but he's a monster behind a drum kit.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The show started out very strong. But toward the end, the contestants went downhill.

I seriously doubt that they will pick a woman. Although I thought they were better than the guys tonight, I can't see the band with a female lead.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Wow. I thought they all pretty much sucked, but Zayra, Dilana, Phil and Chris were extra bad. At least half of them IMO looked like posers on stage, and that last guy reminded me of Flock of Seagulls.

I'm amazed that Phil and Chris even managed to get on the show to begin with...Was the talent pool that thin?

I enjoyed the INXS season because there was some decent talent in there....Hopefully, the second week some of them will sound better, but I'm not expecting much and if this ep is any indication, I won't be following this for very long.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I was perhaps exaggerating...but I wasn't kidding. Sorry...I just never saw Tommy Lee as more than a "filler" drummer - no originality or creativity whatsoever. When I think of great rock drummers, I think of guys like Neil Peart, Terry Bozzio, Mike Portnoy, Bill Bruford, Rod Morgenstein, Keith Moon, Bonham...the list goes on. Tommy Lee never crosses my mind. Saying he has no talent though might have been a little harsh...he does well what he's expected to do.

As for the show, I have to admit I got bored about halfway through. The performances were bleh, and the personalities of the three band members was non-existent. My prediction though is they will do everything in their power to pick one of the ladies.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I don't have any favorites at this point.

I didn't think the last guy was that great, as it was hard to hear his singing.

Good to see the reality stuff got taken out.

~T

Scott_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Hmmm...I enjoyed this quite a bit. After wasting yet another period of my life watching American Idol, I enjoyed watching some entertainers with some decent stage presence and personality.

Some of these guys did suck hard though...that Roxanne remix was brutal, the same goes for the chem major who could be making $100,000 right now...what a loser.

My favorites so far....Storm, Lukas, Patrice, Toby and Dilana. Maybe Ryan but I'm not quite sure yet. Man, that Dilana was scaring the crap out me during her performance....but I'm a sucker for anything Nirvana.

As far as the actual show. I enjoyed the INXS season, but I never was an INXS fan and felt the band came across way to cocky in all the speaches in between performances. I mean INXS was big, but Hutchence really seemed to make the band what it was and those remaining band members just seemed to turn me off (especially the dude with the man of lamancha facial hair). Supernova?...I agree, this thing will die off shortly after the season is over. Ever since Motley Crue, Lee can't stick with anything for more than a few months. Newsted is still pissed at Metallica and acts like a woman scorned and well Gilby, not really much to say about him. I hope the same thing happens this season that happened last season...the band takes someone I really could care less about (J.D.) and lets someone like Marty gain some publicity to be able to put out his own album. I guess we'll see if that happens this year as well.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I LOVED the show last year and by about show 5, I was a J.D. fanatic. (I went to Vegas in January strictly to see INXS.) I'm not sure anyone this year is going to grab me like that. . .

Storm - Not bad, good voice, but hated her weird expressions.
Ryan - I felt like I was listening to Adam Sandler do one of his music parodies.
Toby - Good voice, promising.
Patrice - OK, voice didn't seem to have too much power. Felt like I was watching Toni Collette.
Magni - Who the heck stops singing in the first line to try to get the audience to sing along? Singing that was way too big a persona to live up to. No charisma.
Zayra - No, I don't think so. . .
Jenny - WEAK voice, and she was off-key several times.
Josh - Not crazy about his lackadaisical, smiley attitude during the song. . .
Matt - I can't figure out who the heck he looks like. . . weak voice, got to see him try something more rock.
Dilana - Intense in a scary way, but she's got presence! Just when I was wondering if she was going to keep standing there like Mrs. Roboto, she broke free!
Dana - GREAT voice, don't see her fronting THIS band.
Phil - Why does everyone sing this song? It doesn't showcase your range, and he has no stage presence.
Jill - Kind of liked her power and spunk.
Chris - Disaster. (Just because J.D. pulled a coup with "California Dreaming" doesn't mean every song can be rearranged successfully.)
Lukas - Weird look, weird hair, but he commanded that song. He has enough personality for a handful of these guys.

Going home: I predict Phil.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
If you watch the reality episode at rockstar.msn.com Chris's improvisation singing is pretty good (and he was the first to go, which took guts).

Ryan was the only one who didn't do the improv singing, and he sucked at the concert. But the worst was by far Zayra--that was horrid. I hope she goes.

Dilana has a chance, but that's it. I think she was good, but she lost me with that spastic dance at the end. Oh, and Stevie Nicks called, she wants her voice and clothes back.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Storm was my only real favorite... She totally rocked the house. Patrice comes in at a distant second. Everyone else could leave tonight for all I care. Zayra was the most annoying, followed closely by Magni, Lukas & Chemist Guy (Chris?)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

I don't get it...The whole zombie/roboto thing with her was such an old, stale schtick...Alice Cooper did it..Ozzy did it in his early Sabbath days. Even Andrew Feinberg did it during the 7th grade battle of the bands in my junior high school back in 1978.

Gack, it was so cheesy.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
They need to be booting off 2 wannabe's per week for about 4 weeks.

Bottom 3: Chris (of course), Phil, and Matt.

Chris sings in the wrong key, and his voice can't really provide what the songs need.

Phil reminds me of drunk college guys on karoake rock night.

Matt just works too much for the vocals he puts out, and none of it is all that pleasing to the ears.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Duran Duran rocks. And they sell records. So there. :)

I think he did a better job with that than that awful Police cover.

ry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks