What's new

Rock Hall of Famers QUEEN to release several DVD's next year! (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
According to Queen's official web site, http://www.queenonline.com
a number of Queen DVD's will be released starting from next year.
The first DVD release will be the Freddie Mercury Tribute concert, set for release in April 2002.
The DVD will include rehearsal and backstage footage.
The only question is, will the DVD's be released in America OR will EMI/Parlophone (Queen's UK record company) make NTSC/Region free discs for American fans like they did with the 2 solo Freddie Mercury DVD's last year?
------------------
My DVD collection--> http://members.tripod.com/~evilbaby/DVD_Collection.html

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Is the Tribute still coming out this month? I'm on Queen's mailing list, but haven't heard about it yet.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
IIRC, the problem with this latest release of the Tribute is that it only contains the second half, where the surviving members of Queen perform with guests?
a real shame. :frowning: I remember watching the Tribute when it was broadcast and even if performances of non-Queen material by other bands isn't exactly "Queen", it's still part of the concert, yes? in particular, Extreme's performance was, IMHO, very good.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Extreme stole the show, definitely.
And I just saw this on the official site:
News of three Queen related DVD'S are now available.
Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert
As previously announced the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert DVD is set to be issued in May, subject to final approval by the band members. It includes the second half of the show, fan and official photo montages, a documentary on the show, rehearsal footage, Mercury Phoenix Trust and Spirit Of Africa areas, plus a Queen Online section.
Greatest Flix
The next Queen DVD is to be Greatest Flix. The package is currently in pre-production, but is presently set to include a digitised, re-graded and colourised version of the original, plus a focus on the Bohemian Rhapsody video, band and director comments on each video, a small featurette on We Will Rock You and possible bonus tracks. All this is to be confirmed.
The third DVD is Highlander: Immortal Edition, which we already knew about, so I didn't copy that piece of text.
Sad news about the Tribute (I'm still buying it, though.) And Greatest Flix is gonna ROCK! :D

Yue-Keen Fan

Auditioning
I have the 2-disc LD of this fantastic concert. Yes, Extreme stole the show, but Metallica, Guns N Roses and Def Leppard had great performances too. I was so disappointed that they excluded Extreme's "More than words" in the LD and was hoping any future DVD release of this concert might include that. Looks like no such luck since the DVD only includes the second half of the concert. Looks like I'll be keeping my LD :)

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Extreme were OK, but I'd hardly say they stole the show. Their Queen medley was pretty fun, I always detested "More Than Words," and though the singer did a good job vocally with "Hammer To Fall," I kept wishing he'd stop gyrating his pelvis at Roger Taylor. Seemed like an odd thing to do.

To be honest, I wasn't bowled over by any of the bands in the first half of the show. Guns 'n' Roses were embarrassing (this was just after Izzy Stradlin left and the decline had begun), Metallica were all right (a rawkin' version of "Enter Sandman"), and Def Leppard was, well, Def Leppard. (Though their "Now I'm Here" with Brian May was cool.) The actual event also included Spinal Tap for some reason, who are not on the LD. ("We're cutting our usual 33 song set down to one for this performance, because we think Freddie would have wanted it that way." Heh!)

The Queen half, though, was sublime. Well worth getting if you don't already have the more complete LD.

Ryan

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
The question is: will we ever get a complete concert from Queen on home video? There is absolutely no excuse for having any of these fine perfomances on the tribute show excised. I know Robert Plant was embarassed with his performance of Innuendo but, guess what, for me it has one of the most poignant moments ever caught on tape from the band: Roger, waiting to hit the skins while Brian is playing guitar, not exactly sure when to come in because they've never performed this or any other track from Innuendo before a live audience. In fact, this is their first perfomance since 1986- six years later. It's a magical moment indeed.
Hopefully the info we have is incorrect and all the songs will be there including Bob Geldof and Spinal Tap. In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, I'm going to post up a complete listing of songs and their lengths as well as the in-between material that was on the laserdisc, MTV and FOX TV versions of the concert.
As for the Greatest Flix collection, maybe we'll finally get ALL of the videos including Back Chat and Calling All Girls.
In the meantime, here is what I believe to be the cover for the tribute discs, the release date is supposed to be 13May02:
Queentribute.jpg

Andrew Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
What are the odds of getting a decent video collection? I couldn't justify paying $20 more for the Immortal version of Highlander for three videos and a CD single.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Terry, that is a great cover. I was hoping for something like that.

Andrew, HOPEFULLY QUeen will release EVERYTHING this time, instead of bits and pieces. I hope they realize that there's no such thing as a bad Queen video (except for those lame-ass montages the Torpedo Twins (I think it was them) put together for some of the Made in Heaven tracks, as well as some of the older, previously video-less tracks.)

I really, REALLY want to have the "No One But You" video on DVD. It's as touching as the song itself.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I have to chime in again.

In all honesty, does the average music fan feel cheated that the Geldof song isn't on the DVD? It wasn't on the VHS or laserdisc either.

Whenever I popped in the VHS, I *always* skipped past the opening acts. Extreme had one hit album, G'n'R are no more (and Axl is a 2 year long joke now), Def Leppard are has-beens. Metallica was ok but felt VERY out of place at a Queen show.

Spinal Tap was pretty funny but do we REALLY need "The Majesty of Rock"?

It's a Freddie tribute and I have NO problem that the DVD will be focused on Queen instead of other bands.

About Plant's "Innuendo", while Robert was absolutely HORRIBLE, Queen played extremely well behind him and for that reason alone I'd like to see the song included but if I were Plant, I'd never want that performance burned onto a DVD to be laughed at forever.

Another thing, one of the big reasons why the concert was never officially released on CD was that some of the artists would've wanted royalties so perhaps this may be a factor in why the first half isn't included.

Finally, though Elton John's "The Show Must Go On" was originally not included in the DVD's track listing, other sites are still including it as part of the release though oddly its only being credited to Queen+ Tony Iommi.........

Users who are viewing this thread