Robocop: 20th Anniversary CE Aug. 21, Both Cuts Included

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ScottJH, May 8, 2007.

1. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott

Please Fox/MGM give the extended cut a good PQ remastering. Not the oversharpened mess from the Robocop Trilogy boxset. While your at it 16x9 enhanced 1.66 AR would be nice also.

2. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Maybe time to sell that old Criterion disc. . . [​IMG]

3. captainjoe

captainjoe Stunt Coordinator

Hopefully they'll adress those transfer errors like the contrast boosting/clipping and noise reduction. Also, some complained that the colours were off.

4. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
  5. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    I will double dip. I hated Robocop 2 and 3, so i never bought the 3 pack that came out. I just have the Criterion version, and i wont sell it til the new set is in my hand.

6. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

Steef, that's fucking SWEET looking![​IMG] I was about to give in and buy the RoboCop Trilogy just to have the first two films. Glad I held off for this! This is a must buy! Only problem is the font they chose and the orange colour scheme, which should be blue. They could use the original logo but have the same "look" for it. Hopefully there'll be a thick booklet.
    Now if only they'd give us a seamless branching version with loads of supplements for RoboCop 2. They could hopefully find more footage to make an "R" rated version for RoboCop 3. That would be the only reason for me to buy the last film. And where's the RoboCop TV series? I think it's a Region 2 or 4 exclusive at the moment if I'm not mistaken...[​IMG]

And just to be technical and nitpicky, it's RoboCop, not Robocop.[​IMG] There's a reason why it's camel-caps on the title screen.

7. Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin Cinematographer

That annoys me too.

Two words to describe this upcoming release:

HELL YEAH!!!!!

RoboCop has always been my all-time favorite movie character. This is just the best news I've heard in a good long while.

8. AaronMan

AaronMan Second Unit

Aaron
    Why did they abandon the RoboCop logo/font years ago? Criterion's cover has always been the coolest. And the original movie poster of him stepping out of the police car was awesome.

9. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Sounds like a nice set but I've double/triple dipped enough over the years on SD so I'll hold on to my Criterion. I can wait 6-12 months for the eventual BD.

Besides at this point I'm not really inclined to support anything that Fox stands to make money on, even as a distributor.

10. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Id purchase for a perfect transfer of the Dir Cut

11. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    I wonder if the IP rights to the original logo have expired. That's generally the reason they wouldn't use it.

12. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I have the MGM Special Edition, that ain't so special, so I would pick this up, especially since it will be blue ray only, and actually they might not even release it, since it's already out on Blu ray

13. Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin Cinematographer

Wasn't the original Blu-Ray release recalled or something?

14. captainjoe

captainjoe Stunt Coordinator

15. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Looks like i'll be triple-dipping as well, this looks sweet. [​IMG]

RoboCop has always been one of my all time favorite film characters, and is still the coolest looking cyborg in film history (sorry Endoskeleton). I've always appreciated the Frankenstein parallels to this story and I look upon Alex Murphy as a truly tragic character study.

I agree that the sheen on the cover should have been blue rather than orange, though, it looks very strange but I love that it's metel, will go nicly with the two metel cases I have for Terminator 2 (Ultimate & Extreme editions).

16. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

Can you explain this further?

17. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

That steelbook thing is hideous.

Will this be a 1.85 or 1.66 transfer and how do we know it's not just the same transfer struck for the Sony distr. release last year?

I think I'll likely stick with my Criterion Ed. It might be non-anamorphic and the transfer isn't as sharp as it could be, but at least the color saturation and look of the film isn't manipulated for this high-def digital age where studios think that every movie regardless of when it was made, should look like some brand new digital action flick.

Also, why can't studios just release normal packaging with original artwork... is that so hard?

18. Charlie O.

Charlie O. Supporting Actor

I'm only going for this release if its a new 1.66 transfer.

19. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

Has anyone seen any reviews of this yet?

20. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I recieved the new 2-disc last week. Disc 1 is the theatrical cut with the previous MGM commentary. Disc 2 is the unrated, uncut 103-minute version. The featurette, "Villains of Old Detroit" is awesome. Ray Wise is a hoot. I was disappointed by the deleted scenes. I was expecting the on-the-street report with the nun would be outrageous, but its just boring. The "Naked Pizza" advert with the "I'd buy that for a dollar" is quite amusing. The new "Creating a Legend" (17 minutes) focuses on the creation of the suit, but covers much of the same ground as the previous "Flesh and Steel" (37 mins) which has been carried over, thankfully. The Criterion LD can be seen in the background of Paul Sammon's interview.

For reference: DVD Beaver

As for the transfer (1.78:1), it looks new. RoboCop doesn't look blue, but grey like the Criterion. The colors in the liquor store are far more vibrant in the new transfer. The contrast and brightness levels are more balanced, too. Verhoeven may have preferred 1.66:1 back in the 90s, but I can't imagine him wanting 1.66:1 pillarbox today. The headroom looks excessive on the Criterion these days.

The original Dolby SR as a 4.0 (L,C,R and rear mono; Criterion is L,R and rear mono) Dolby track is provided. Sounds great.

The Dolby 5.1 has a stronger punch than the 4.0 and Basil Poledouris' terrific score is mixed a bit higher. The DTS may sound slightly better, I can't be too sure.

If you are a big fan of the film, then upgrade.