Robinson Corrusso(sp) on Mars DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Strang, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Since the only thing close seems to be a Criterion LD of it on Ebay at $150. Yeah right.

Anyone heard a DVD release date yet?

2. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

Paramount owns the rights to Robinson Crusoe On Mars. The only video release of this film ever in the US was the Criterion laserdisc and they had a legal tangle with Paramount after that came out.

I'd love for Martin Blythe to prove me wrong, but I have a feeling this is one that has been exiled to video purgatory. Damn shame, too. Classic science fiction and I know there is a decent film element around because Criterion's transfer was very good.

3. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Hey Scott - that $150 (current) auction is mine! High demand, very low supply.

Many months ago an auction of this title claimed that the film elements were destroyed in a fire. I have never heard of this anywhere else and I very much doubt it is true.

4. Mike Friedrich

Mike Friedrich Stunt Coordinator

~ I loved this film from the first time I saw it as a child. I had a P&S Vhs copy that I relied on for years, and even that was hard to get since it was seldomly broadcasted. Then I went to the first ever Laserdisc Exstravaganza at Paramount Studios where I finally got a hold of the Criterion release. I couldn't wait to get home to see it since I never got to see it in OAR in all those years.
    I really hope Paramount will put this timeless classic on Dvd so others can enjoy it the way I finally got to after waiting so many years.
    bodymov'n [​IMG]

5. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I'd like to see this again. It's a shame Paramount is showing little interest in it. Anchor Bay would probably kill to get ahold of RCoM. That's a hint, Paramount. What have you got to lose?

6. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

I've seen stuff appearing on DVD that I never expected to see. First Spaceship on Venus, Black Hole, DefCon4,Roswell, Day the Earth Caught Fire, When Worlds Collide, etc.

Perhaps we could see this appear some day on DVD.

7. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

If Criterion did a LD release of this couldn't they reacquire the rights to a DVD release if they wanted to?

8. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I don't think Paramount is playing ball with independents at all these days so Criterion might not be able to reacquire this title. And that is a shame.

9. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

"This film is scientifically accurate!" As it says on the laserdisc jacket from the films original artwork.

I have this laserdisc from Criterion and I checked the price I paid at the time. It was $99.95. At the time, I thought it was kinda high, but at the same time, I felt it would be a good buy and a great film to have. If it's $150.00 on eBay, it might be a good buy, if it is in pristine condition.

On the other hand, maybe Alan and you can negotiate a deal.

Nelson

10. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

My copy is no longer available for negotiation - it went for $227.50! I have never seen one go higher (mine was sealed, so it was perfect).

I have a feeling that whenever this appears on dvd, the extras from the Criterion disc won't be included. So if you own the LD, I recommend hanging on to it (I had two copies).

11. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    About two years ago copies of CRUSOE routinely sold for $50 to $75 on e-bay. I bought one for 50-somethin' dollars and considered it a bargain compared to the original list price. I wanted a copy of it for years on end, but even at Ken Cranes' 20% discount it was stille $80. When you see so much tripe and shite go to press on DVD, it's maddening to see an intresting film like this one orphaned! Is it possible there is a personal vendetta on the owners of some of these films, like this one? Does Paramount think any sci-fi that competes with TREK is a bad thing, maybe? Are there lawsuits involved here?
    There must be a film-aholic on this here forum who could discount, certify, or dismiss these theories? It ain't me babe! Anybody....?

12. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    When the old Camelot chain decided to discontinue laserdiscs, I picked up two copies of ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS for $50 each. I sold the extra to a guy who was looking for a copy, but I guess I should have held onto it!