Robert's home theater

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by RobertR, Aug 8, 2007.

1. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

After much much work, the theater is done. My inspiration for it comes from Art Sonneborn and Greg Powers. Special thanks to Doug Baisey for his incredible expertise with the NEC XG135LC projector. I'm very happy with the results. Biggest thanks of all to my wife for her unflagging support and hard work in making it all come true. I'm very lucky to have her.

View from the rear with the drapes closed:

[​IMG]

View from the front:

[​IMG]

View of the screen:

[​IMG]

View of the entrance, with my DVDs, HDDVDs, and Blu-Rays:

[​IMG]

Views of the Lobby:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Views of my rack:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
  3. troy evans

troy evans Screenwriter

RobertR, that is one nice set-up. I'm impressed.

4. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Last Saturday I had my friends Vern Sharp, David Tolsky, and Tom Young over to check out the room. Here are a couple of pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vern brought over some demo material that showed off the full potential of the IB subwoofer. First up was the Bass Mekanik CD, which has frequency sweeps down to 1 Hz. It was fascinating to see the 8 15 inch woofers cause the room to shake at frequencies too low to hear. Next up was the Cloverfield Blu Ray. An AVS thread lists this as a tier 0 audio reference disc, and I can see why. Simply overwhelming bass power. When buildings and such are knocked down, they really sound knocked down! Next up was the Master and Commander Blu Ray. Again, the IB sub had a chance to show what it could do with the Attack scene, giving a sense of effortless room-shaking power in reproducing the cannon shots. I bought the Blu Ray the next day. [​IMG] Thanks Vern, you are serious about bass! We demoed several other discs that day, and I very much enjoyed everyone's company. Tom sent me a very well written essay on how great my room is, and I thank him very much. Dave, you're one of the people who inspired me to build the room.

5. DelRay

DelRay Stunt Coordinator

Great job Robert. Very nice attention to detail and it looks like all the hard work paid off. Enjoy![​IMG]

6. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Thanks everyone!

7. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer
    Supporter

David
    Wow, that is an impressive theater Robert. Well done.

8. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Great theater Robert!

I especially drool over your ribbon tweeters. I wonder if those sound like the Genesis floor-standers that were my personal "best sounding speakers ever" in 1999 when I moved out of the high-end audio world.

If you don't mind me asking (and you can PM me the answer), how much did the physical construction for your addition cost... minus equipment and furniture? Just the room itself? I'm thinking about doing an addition myself, and the basement extension could house a HT room...

dave [​IMG]

9. Rhatphlegm

Rhatphlegm Stunt Coordinator

Wow! Incredible! Amazing quality of work!

10. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Thanks Matt and Dave. [​IMG] Funny you should mention the Genesis, Dave.....The VMPS speakers use the same ribbon drivers that were in those Genesis models. Dialogue and overall sound is extremely clear and transparent, thanks in part to the room treatment. It's a real pleasure to hear music on lossless tracks.

11. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Here's the latest addition to the theater, a nice custom-made marquee:

12. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Years ago, I had my CRT projector floor mounted, and was very happy with my 80" wide Da-Lite high power screen. Bright, razor sharp picture with no hot spotting. When I built my home theater, I put the projector on the ceiling, and accepted the idea that I couldn't take advantage of the gain of a High Power screen. I used a piece of Wilsonart laminate, which had gotten a lot of praise. It was cheap, so I decided why not? Well, the picture was "nice", but it never really popped, and there was noticeable hotspotting, which began to bug me more and more. I finally decided to see if the High Power would make a big difference. I taped a sample to my Wilsonart screen, and could see that it was noticeably brighter, even if I wasn't getting the full advantage of the gain. I could also see that mounting the High power wouldn't cause focus or color shift problems. I went ahead and took the plunge. I bought a Da-lite Model C screen, and cut it to fit my home-built steel frame. I attached the material to the frame with small neodymium disc magnets, which have tremendous gripping power, and allow me to get a nice, flat surface.

My reaction? WOW! It makes a HUGE difference! Even watching from the first row, which has the greatest vertical angle from the projector, the brightness level is MUCH better with the High Power. The hotspotting is GONE. Colors are wonderfully vivid, and there's a perceived increase in sharpness as well. After reading all the concerns about increased black level, I'm pleased to see that it isn't a concern. My projector has a DEEP black level (you cannot see your hand in front of your face during an all-black scene), and it doesn't appear elevated at all (I put up an all-black test pattern to verify this). The result is a big increase in contrast ratio. The brightness from the back row (which puts eye level about 8 inches below the projector) is ENORMOUS. I'm ecstatic.

13. Brandon3212

Brandon3212 Agent

WOW that looks absolutely stunning especially those IB subs. I would love to do an infinite baffle set up but don't have the room. Love those front speakers

14. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Thanks Brandon :)

15. Sparks

Sparks Agent

It looks good Robert. I like the wall panels a lot. Very professional job. Congrats, and I hope your enjoying it as much as I am mine.

16. athurart09

athurart09 Auditioning

Thank you so much for the post. It's really informative!