What's new

Robert Harris on The Bits: The Alamo (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Alstrup said:
I wish you and your team all the best for the work ahead!
A question: why the decision to scan to Vistavision instead of 65mm?
Many thanks,
Ole ALstrup
Scanning the cut scenes in Vista, as we need to copy from the 70mm print, and the Eastman duping stock is not produced in 65mm. VVLA is the closest we can get.
RAH

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Count me as someone who would be more than happy, thrilled even, to make a donation towards the funding of this restoration.

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Hi there.

I very rarely post here and - to be 100% honest - haven't even seen The Alamo, I am ashamed to say. However I am fully aware of its place in film history and would love to contribute something via PayPal. I'm sure with the combined generosity of many of us film fanatics out there a PayPal contribution system could actually generate quite a bit of funding for this restoration.

Cheers,

- John

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Wonderful, it's obvious how exciting this project is just looking at the number of new members posting right here.
I might not be able to donate much but I will send a few dollars
as soon as it is set up.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Robert, Do you know at this time if you will be able to have the original studio opening logos attached or will they want the new version attached?

wpatterson

Auditioning
Real Name
Wyatt Patterson
Robert,

I, too, am very pleased to hear about your work on The Alamo. I have been very impressed with your work on restoring Lawrence of Arabia, The Godfather and The Godfather Part II.

Would you by any chance have information regarding a possible 4K restoration of The Bridge on the River Kwai? It's my favorite David Lean film, and I always felt it could use a new restoration.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Powell&Pressburger said:
Robert, Do you know at this time if you will be able to have the original studio opening logos attached or will they want the new version attached?
There were no logos.
RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
wpatterson said:
Would you by any chance have information regarding a possible 4K restoration of The Bridge on the River Kwai? It's my favorite David Lean film, and I always felt it could use a new restoration.
Kwai is in good hands at Columbia.
RAH

Jo_C

Second Unit
Robert Harris said:
There were no logos.
RAH
Hmmm...interesting, Robert. Considering UA logos up until at least the 1960s were scarcely used at all..I could be wrong. Of course, today, in 2009, we'd see the MGM logo followed by the new UA logo as seen in "Valkyrie" (minus the MGM byline, of course).

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Any UA films I've seen in repertory theaters made prior to the 1967 Transamerica acquisition have had no logos either. I've only seen 35mm prints of The Sweet Smell of Success, Some Like it Hot and West Side Story, but none of them had a logo.

SFX

Auditioning
Real Name
Klaus
Mr Harris,

I'm very excited to learn that you are involved in a new restoration project. I do appreciate all the work you did so far, and although by now I never had the chance to watch THE ALAMO - I'm just too young -, I'm sure this will be a new highlight, especially when there is a chance to do it in 70mm also for projection purpose. Berlin Festival's Retrospective earlier this year proved a deep interest in this format from a very young audience that, by now, did not have a chance of a regular 70mm-experience.

By the way, being not too familiar with restoration techniques, maybe you could explain to me why it is necessary first to print elements to Vistavision duping stock before scanning it (I'm aware of your remarks to Ole Alstrup earlier in this thread). Does this mean that available scanners are not able to handle 70mm release prints properly for a direct scan?

Yours very truly, all the best for your future work

Klaus

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Looks like good news! The original article has been updated:
Yellow Layer Failure, Vinegar Syndrome and Miscellaneous Musings by Robert A. Harris
You Can Contribute to the Alamo Restoration Effort
We that hope everyone who reads this column will help support Robert Harris' official effort to return The Alamo to its full original glory. The project's charitable sponsor is now accepting contribution checks toward the restoration of the film. (Note that links for credit card and PayPal donations will be available soon - check back here shortly.) All contributions are tax deductible. Contribution checks should be made out payable to...
Jacob Burns Film Center, Inc.
...with the information: "f/b/o Alamo Restoration" in the memo field, normally lower left.
The mailing address is:
Jacob Burns Film Center
405 Manville Road
Pleasantville, NY 10570
Att: Dominick Balletta
count me in as soon as Paypal is a go!

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
John Hodson said:
That's fine work by Robert; this, though it's seven years old now, is also worth a read: ‘Remember the Alamo!’- John Wayne's 'The Alamo'
The article found with this link is dated 2002 and announces that, back then, you, Robert, and James Katz, had at least announced the intention to restore the Alamo. What, if anything, happened between then and the latest announcement towards its restoration? BTW, I mailed a check with my contribution the first day the Film Center information was announced! Good luck.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
marcuslaw said:
The article found with this link is dated 2002 and announces that, back then, you, Robert, and James Katz, had at least announced the intention to restore the Alamo. What, if anything, happened between then and the latest announcement towards its restoration? BTW, I mailed a check with my contribution the first day the Film Center information was announced! Good luck.
First allow me to thank you for your contribution.
What has occurred, is that much like The Godfather(s), The Alamo could not be reconstructed or restored without high resolution (4k - 8k) digital tools. To attempt the restoration of a film in a resolution lower than that allowing the harvesting of all information gets you nowhere.
There are half a dozen shots in My Fair Lady, which was restored in 1994 that needed digital tools. Today those shots stand out as lower resolved and are best replaced and upgraded.
RAH

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I hope everything comes together for THE ALAMO. And my dream is to someday (in the not too distant future) we will have a similar thread for IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As an update, we're realigning our fundraising effort toward Corporate Sponsorships only. The Jacob Burns Film Center is acting as charitable sponsor, with all contributions tax deductible. A link will be available shortly.
RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks