What's new

Robert Harris on The Bits: The Alamo (1 Viewer)

AllenW

Auditioning
Real Name
Allen Wiener
No, Moe! And I plead "guilty" of that and throw myself on the mercy of the court! Apparently, I had originally failed to click the box that gets me automatic emails every time a new post is added to this thread. I've just read the backlog of posts and feel pretty much up to date. Not good. Looks like the film is simply being allowed to rot in a place that doesn't even provide temperature control. RAH seems to have hit the nub of the issue in pointing out that MGM simply doesn't give a damn.
I gather that the "full" version that I have on the VHS so-called "Director's Cut" edition is the complete film (or, as complete as we are ever likely to get), and represents the state of the film at the time the VHS was made, meaning quite noticeably faded. The truncated original that was used to make the current DVD edition does have better color, but is the shortened version that does serious disservice to the film. Although it is a seriously flawed film, it actually works better in its original, full form than in the shortened version. From this discussion, I gather that "full" version that Turner Classic Movies was showing for a while is the same as that found on the VHS "Director's Cut" and the older laser disc editions. I'd still like to know why TCM stopped showing the film a year or so ago; lord knows they re-rerun many great classics virtually every month, some of which could really use a rest!
As to Wayne and his career, as well as the relative merits of "The Alamo" and other films, there are books and books about all that. It's pretty much in the eye of the beholder. Some of us are Wayne fans and can watch him in nearly anything short of the most awful shlock or worst mis-castings of his career ("Barbarian and the Geisha," "The Conqueror"). I actually enjoy "The Comancheros" almost as much as any other Wayne film; great fun and catches Duke at a great moment in his career. When evaluating what films stand out among the countless ones Hollywood has produced, lionized, awarded, ballyhooed, etc., remember how awful old Oscar's record is (or extremely "spotty" at best); I don't think "The Searchers" got a single nomination, while a film I regard as virtually unwatchable, "Around the World in 80 Days," received a pile of awards. Somewhere I've got a list of people and films that received NO Oscar recognition and some of the real duds that did; reading it from time to time is both eye-opening and a form of self torment. "The Searchers" was not only Wayne's best performance ever, it was one of Hollywood's most memorable films. It was also the peak of Ford's career for me, and that's saying a lot considering the other classics in his resume. You don't have to even like Wayne or Ford to appreciate what a great film that is.
"The Alamo" is another story. It's too long, its script is awful, some of the scenes and dialog are painful to watch (I agree with whoever commented on what a downer Chill Wills is), and (sorry to say) suffers too much from Ford's lesser influences. Yet it is a very interesting film in other ways. If you're as interested in the Alamo as I am, or that period of U.S. history, it's an interesting take on that era and also the Cold War era in which it was made. The photography is often breathtaking, especially when the film was originally seen on big theater screens, and the battle scenes are real doozies. Dimitri Tiomkin's score is a classic in my book and I can enjoy that on CD anytime. Moreover, the film was the one that Wayne himself cared about most in his entire career. He wanted to make it most of his life, spent years planning it and raising the money to make it, built one of the greatest sets ever constructed, which still stands, sunk all of his own money, sweat and blood into it, and nearly killed himself making it. If it could be done over somehow, I think Wayne should have hired a different director and stuck with acting and producing duties. The script should have been given a real enema and there were any number of Hollywood writers who could have done that, but then it wouldn't really have been what Wayne envisioned. As the wonderful film historian Frank Thompson has said, "The Alamo" probably doesn't have a single correct factual detail in it, but it is one vision of what the Alamo means; it's John Wayne's vision, but it IS a vision. "BIrth of a Nation" is D.W. Griffiths' warped vision of the "lost cause" and the old South during Reconstruction. The film's message is reprehensible, but would anyone argue that it shouldn't be preserved? I wouldn't.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
And it's not like we're talking about some world-class turkey. The Alamo was nominated for seven Oscars (including Best Picture, score, song, film editing, cinematography, supporting actor and sound), winning for Best Sound.
You'd think that pedigree, combined with a slew of major stars, would guarantee something.
But such are the fates. Heaven's Gate gets a loving restoration while The Alamo rots to dust. Life -- and film preservation -- isn't fair.

AllenW

Auditioning
Real Name
Allen Wiener
IMO it should of won, at least, the Oscars for best score, song, and cinematography, and sets. A lot of people didn't like Wayne or his politics and didn't want to award a film that smacked of Cold War symbolism.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
AllenW said:
IMO it should of won, at least, the Oscars for best score, song, and cinematography, and sets. A lot of people didn't like Wayne or his politics and didn't want to award a film that smacked of Cold War symbolism.
I agree with you on song, but not on score. Exodus was a worthy winner, but the Oscar SHOULD have gone to Elmer Bernstein for The Magnificent Seven.

AllenW

Auditioning
Real Name
Allen Wiener
I actually like several scores from that year, but I had totally forgotten that "Magnificent Seven" also dates from 1960. Can't disagree; one hell of an immortal film and score.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Rick Thompson said:
I agree with you on song, but not on score. Exodus was a worthy winner, but the Oscar SHOULD have gone to Elmer Bernstein for The Magnificent Seven.
I do like Tiomkin's score and also the song from the Alamo, but Alex North's score for Spartacus should have won for the year IMO.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Rick Thompson said:
I agree. What a magnificent score. Good blu-ray too...
It won't be me, but it seems like it might be fun if someone here ran a thread about each Academy Awards. In other words, not just who won, but who maybe *should* have won, each award (at least in our humble opinions). Just a thought.

AllenW

Auditioning
Real Name
Allen Wiener
I recall playing the soundtrack LPs from The Alamo, Spartacus, and Exodus over and over while a friend and tried to build a model of the Alamo as it was thought to look in 1836, from scratch with sheets of balsa wood. No one does that kind of stuff anymore.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
"The Green Leaves of Summer" and "The Second Time Around" were the pick of that year's Best Song nominees, and neither of them won. Both lost to the undeserving "Never on Sunday." I prefer "Green Leaves" and wish it had won.

AllenW

Auditioning
Real Name
Allen Wiener
I can't imagine a goofier song that "Never on Sunday," which had zilch going for it, winning anything. Yet the Academy members (who HAD to have been really drunk or something) gave it an Oscar over "The Green Leaves of Summer," one of the best movie songs I know of. If you simply listen to the acapella version on the soundtrack album, which is played during the scene on the eve of the final battle, you have to be sold on that one. "The Second Time Around" was also a worthy contender, but GLOS still gets my vote (for whatever that's worth).

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
AllenW said:
I can't imagine a goofier song that "Never on Sunday," which had zilch going for it,
Never On Sunday was a massive world-wide hit song. Very few songs have ever been accepted across the globe that way. Whether it's a good song is another matter.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
AllenW said:
I can't imagine a goofier song that "Never on Sunday," which had zilch going for it, winning anything. Yet the Academy members (who HAD to have been really drunk or something) gave it an Oscar over "The Green Leaves of Summer," one of the best movie songs I know of. If you simply listen to the acapella version on the soundtrack album, which is played during the scene on the eve of the final battle, you have to be sold on that one. "The Second Time Around" was also a worthy contender, but GLOS still gets my vote (for whatever that's worth).
Ah but Never on Sunday had Melina Mercouri going for it instead of a nameless choir. :) In fact I think Never on Sunday proved to be the far more popular song, being recorded by many artists worldwide.

AllenW

Auditioning
Real Name
Allen Wiener
Well, "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" (technically a film song) has been recorded by more than 100 artists the world over and in many languages, but no one would have considered it for an Oscar (would they????). Whether or not it's a 'good' song depends on one's perspective. Being an Alamo junkie, who got hooked on the whole thing by Fess Parker, Walt Disney and that song, I'm too prejudiced to render an unbiased opinion. "Green Leaves of Summer" was recorded by quite a few artists and the Brothers Four had a hit with it. On my scorecard, "Never on Sunday" ranks with the many, many other Oscar duds that have me scratching my head. Oh, well; that's show biz (I guess).

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
AllenW said:
Well, "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" (technically a film song) has been recorded by more than 100 artists the world over and in many languages, but no one would have considered it for an Oscar (would they????). Whether or not it's a 'good' song depends on one's perspective. Being an Alamo junkie, who got hooked on the whole thing by Fess Parker, Walt Disney and that song, I'm too prejudiced to render an unbiased opinion. "Green Leaves of Summer" was recorded by quite a few artists and the Brothers Four had a hit with it. On my scorecard, "Never on Sunday" ranks with the many, many other Oscar duds that have me scratching my head. Oh, well; that's show biz (I guess).
"Davy Crockett" wouldn't be considered for an Oscar since it debuted in a TV show. The TV Academy gives out music awards but it looks like that category wasn't used until 1956 or so.

AllenW

Auditioning
Real Name
Allen Wiener
Correct. The original TV series (shot in color) was edited down for release as a theatrical film, which included the song, but did not qualify, since it had first appeared on TV. I was only drawing a comparison to another song that was enormously popular, but maybe not such great music. The guys who wrote it did so as a last-minute assignment from Disney, who needed something to fill out the original TV episodes for the one-hour time format. In 1955, three versions of the song were on Billboards Top 20 list; the recordings were by Bill Hayes (#1), Fess Parker (#7), Tennessee Ernie Ford (#17). Many other versions also were released; it was recorded by Louis Armstrong, Diana Ross & the Supremes, Steve Allen, Burl Ives, and many others. There were also several parody version recorded, such as "Pancho Lopez" by Lalo Guerrero, "Duvid Crockett" by Mickey Katz, and Homer & Jethro's "The Ballad of Davy Crew-Cut." Alas, no TV or Grammy awards for the song.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
This question is directed to RAH, and may have been asked and answered before, if it has, my apologies. We all know that MGM has no interest in restoring The Alamo, but are they also opposed to licensing out the film to Warner or Sony, so that they may do the restoration?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Richard V /t/283892/robert-harris-on-the-bits-resurrecting-and-restoring-the-alamo/330#post_4013282
This question is directed to RAH, and may have been asked and answered before, if it has, my apologies. We all know that MGM has no interest in restoring The Alamo, but are they also opposed to licensing out the film to Warner or Sony, so that they may do the restoration?

Why would any entity wish to finance the reconstruction and restoration of a film, the copyright of which they don't fully own?

The Alamo could make the investment back, but a license is a license, and generally, but not always, has a limited term.

That said, if MGM would sell their back library to WB, or another studio...

A situation that would give them quick cash, and rid them of an annoying depreciating asset, that requires service every six months or 5,000 miles.
Owning the MGM library is rather like owning an old yacht that one takes out once a year.

RAH

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/283892/robert-harris-on-the-bits-resurrecting-and-restoring-the-alamo/330#post_4013292

Why would any entity wish to finance the reconstruction and restoration of a film, the copyright of which they don't fully own?

RAH

Because its Xmas and Santa Claus is in town.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]That said, if MGM would sell their back library to WB, or another studio...[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Well, Warners tried twice that I know of and lost out. However, they finally got back their own pre-1949 films after trying for many years. And that because of Ted Turner getting into bed with them.[/COLOR]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks