What's new

Robert Harris on The Bits-Interview with Warner's George Feltenstein Official Thread (1 Viewer)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Everybody has favorites that they're anxious to see released, but overall I'm quite pleased with Warner's strategy and the quality of their releases. It's certainly better than say, Artisan, and some of the garbage they've release on older titles.

If Warner started compromising on the quality I'm afraid we might start on a slippery slope of quantity over quality, and I don't want to go there. Besides, I can't keep up with what is being released as it is.

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator

I agree.
Compared to many of the other studios, Warner bros holds the rights to, IMO, the largest collection of truly Classic films made in Hollywood. The fact that many of their more obscure titles haven't been released yet, is undoubtedly due to the fact that over the past couple years their attention has been to releasing films that are considerably more "important". The Gangsters collection is a perfect example, as are Garbo, Astaire and Rogers etc.
I believe, that eventually many of the more obscure titles will be made available.
Also, Warners has been considerably better at not "double-dipping" than other studios (Universal and Columbia come to mind, how many times does DR Stranglove need to be re-released? ). The films that they have revisited, have been restored in beautiful SEs, worthy of the films, and the price to repurchase. I would much rather buy a film, that I knew would be in my collection for many years, than to waste time and money re-buying the same films over and over, when I could be getting a steady supply of films that have not been released before. I don't think they are going to run out of films soon. We just need to be patient.

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator

What if it weren't "Warners" per se?

It seems that there may be a market for "second-class goods" for some properties. These would be properties that would otherwise fail to qualify (no adequate business case).

But, many would not be pleased to see Warners establish a precedent for substandard quality, now dilute the brand in any way.

So, how about a distinct brand identity for the "Saturday at the Bijou" titles? Perhaps the brand name might not even make any explicit reference to "Warner".

It would be positioned (intentionally) with lowered quality expectations. The main value proposition would be availablility of otherwise non-producable titles.

???

DG

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Which is the best advice here.

I'm a horror nut and I'm dying to get various titles from Warner. My most wanted title is THE BODY SNATCHER and this is a title that could have been released in 1997. However, if a release in 2005 means it's going to look as good as FREAKS then I'll gladly wait 8 years to get a disc like that. If something as small as RETURN OF THE APE MAN or VOODOO MAN are going to look great then I'll gladly wait 5-10 more years for it. There's enough on the market now where I'm not going to get too upset over certain titles not coming out now.

I'd love for Warner to start releasing more double features but again, I'm willing to wait 5 years for this if it means these things are going to look good. I'll be buying the GANGSTER COLLECTION and I don't mind all of this waiting because I know the set is going to look great. I don't mind waiting another year on KONG because the end results will be worth it.

As a fan of classic films, I've bought over 100 titles from Warner this year alone and it appears the number will be even bigger next year. I've bought all of their box sets, even the one's I wasn't too interested in (That's Entertainment, Elvis) because the price is right and I know the quality will be there. You can't say the same thing about any of studio, which is why Warner is the king. We know when we buy a Warner title then we're going to get something great.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

But Michael, we already KNOW we're going to get titles like FREAKS, THE BODY SNATCHER, I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE, and other films like those because they're the "A" horror titles - the cream of the crop - the popular ones. But if Warner truly owns Poverty Row's RETURN OF THE APE MAN and VOODOO MAN, I'd wager we'll never see them. And that's the whole shame of it.

Warner claims that "it's ridiculous to ask for certain lesser selling titles to be on DVD, because they're just too costly to produce?" If this is indeed their attitude, then they'll NEVER be able to put anything obscure on this format. Because it's too expensive (as they say) to replicate. So, I'm only suggesting that it's not as necessary to spend as much cash fine tuning those lower projects as it is for something which would sell more.

I'd rather have a "decent" looking DVD of MARK OF THE VAMPIRE (which would cost WB less to produce and make them some profit) than to not have it AT ALL and be forced to settle for a LD dupe somewhere else, merely because it costs too much for WB to make it look as sterling as CITIZEN KANE.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Joe,
I'm a manager in the automotive industry, my company has certain quality standards that we won't compromise on. Whether that effects our bottom line or not is not the question at the moment because it's still the quality standards we decided to live by in order to produce the best product we can supply to our customers. I'm willing to bet that the same uncompromising position that my company applies to our products is the same position that Warner Home Video adheres to. If you can't produce a dvd that doesn't measure up to your quality standards then you're not going to produce it at all. That's just the way it is and nothing any of us can say on that subject matter is going to change Warner's company policy on quality control and licensing out their assets to other companies.

I really don't know what else I can say to you on this matter.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Except for film buffs and film historians, those titles are not what I call "A" horror titles. Most of the dvd purchasers haven't even heard of them so in my mind, Warner is releasing obscure titles to dvd.

Crawdaddy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Just because people haven't heard of a film doesn't stop it being an 'A' title surely? Popular opinion alone never made a good film.(And by 'A' I'm sure Joe is referring to quality rather than popularity)

Neverthless I'm delighted Warners have high standards, and long may it be so, and I'm delighted they treat their classic catalogue - obscure or otherwise - and the buying public, with respect.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

However, most of those films that he listed were considered "B" titles when they were made and released. Now, if you want say that many of those "B" title films were excellent in quality than that's an entirely different discussion. Furthermore, poplularity has much to do whether a film released on dvd sells enough units to justify the cost of producing and releasing a good quality dvd which is what we're talking about here.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Accepted; though I am constantly amazed at the number of obscure classics that do make it to DVD from the majors - God bless 'em for taking the chance.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Exactly, which is what I'm doing while waiting on more John Garfield films. I know that Mr. Feltenstein was involved in that excellent John Garfield documentary produced for Turner Classic Movies, so I'm hoping at least, some of Garfield's "A" title films are in the pipeline. Hopefully, one day we will see the likes of the following titles out on dvd:
  • Four Daughters
  • Juarez
  • The Sea Wolf
  • Tortilla Flat
  • Air Force
  • Pride of the Marines
  • Humoresque

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

I'm not sure what that exact quote was aimed at but I do believe some of these "what would you like on DVD" threads have some crazy ideas. I would love a 2-disc Special Edition of DEATH WISH 2 but I know it's not going to happen. If I requested such a thing then I'm sure a studio would just roll their eyes and say forget about it. Again, I'm not sure what "title" that quote was aimed at but I certainly don't think it was any of their "B" titles.

Warner did an amazing job on their horror titles this year and we did get smaller items like RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD 2, HE KNOWS YOU'RE ALONE and the IT'S ALIVE Trilogy. None of these are "major" titles but instead titles that someone like Anchor Bay would release. However, the great thing is that Warner did release them with the V/A that we'd expect from an "A" title. Also, we got some wonderful extras on each of them. That tells me that Warner will release lesser known titles with quality.

VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED is a fairly unknown title yet it does have a cult following, which could mean possible sells. Perhaps they included CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED because they thought it wouldn't sell well on its own. If that's the case, then perhaps they will put TAXI! on one of the bigger Cagney releaes as a bonus. Perhaps VOODOO MAN will be released with a bigger Lugosi title like MARK OF THE VAMPIRE.

As a fan of short film I was a little upset to read somewhere that a box set of shorts would not be released. However, Warner has been putting these on their regular releases, which is an added bonus. Just like the double features.

And another note, I'm really not sure if ANY older movie really is an "A" title any more. To a film buff, yes THE BODY SNATCHER is an "A" title but most people buying DVDs aren't film buffs so they'll simply wait to buy a remake over a 60 year old film. This is very sad to me but it's the truth and it's important that these older films are able to get on the shelf of various stores. If that means they need to hold something for while then that's fine with me.

I believe at a chat two years ago Warner said THE BODY SNATCHER and a couple other Lewton's would be released this year. However, these got pushed back so that all 9 could be included in a box set, which is great. Why? Because we get all the films at once and I'm sure the box will be cheaper than buying three or four titles on their own.

Again, in the end I think that Warner cares about their buyers and want to deliver the goods. As a hard working citizen, when I hear Warner is releasing something my mind is at ease because I know they're going to give me my money's worth. In fact, I've bought nearly 100 titles from this year including the box sets of:

Cary Grant
Marx Brothers
Tarzan
Elvis
That's Entertainment
Martin Scorsese
Alfred Hitchcock
Gone with the Wind
Looney Toons Vol. 2

Do you know what's really great about these sets? Is the fact that a normal citizen like me feels that I ripped off Warner. Seriously, we fans are really ripping them off considering what we're paying for these great transfers with extras. Just take a look at that Hitchcock Collection, which many bought for under $75. Nine films, plus an alternate version of STRANGERS, nine featurettes, nine commentaries plus other goodies. All for under $75.

To me, that's the proof that Warner really cares about the fans.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
:b

I guess I should have said I don't think any older title is expected to sell as many copies as a LORD OF THE RINGS, SHREK or anything recent.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will

Oh sure, we say that NOW, but I can see the posts already.

"Mark of the Vampire has a vertical line on the right side of the picture from the 18:03 mark to the 22:24 mark....we must demand a recall!"

"picture quality is grainy....we should not have to accept such sub-standard work from Warner...NO SALE!"

"What, you mean there are frames missing? NO SALE!!"

and on and on and on and on......:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

People ARE becoming overly sensitive to imperfect transfers. For example, I was expecting Mutiny on the Bounty to look awful when I recieved the DVD (after hearing the negative comments). It looks wonderful to my eyes. Even the dupe sections look very good.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mr. Krupp's comments hit the tarket dead center.

For any of these older titles, there is generally a necessity to create a new LIQUID (WET) GATE fine grain master, to replace older material previously printed dry.

Presevation elements printed dry do a beautiful job of showing off every scratch, both base and emulstion, as well as every bit of dirt either on or built into the prime element.

Between this technical problem and the artists' rights issue of knowingly disseminating a filmmaker's work in a second class fashion, the studios would be asking for trouble.

RAH

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator

That's what I have been hoping for, as well! Also, I would love to see a collection of Pre-code films (similar to the Leonard Maltin Forbidden Hollywood line on VHS). I don't know how that could be marketed, but it would be wonderful. I read recently that missing footage from Baby Face was found in Europe. I'm sure Mr. Feltenstein would love to release this and other films like King Vidor's The Champ, but it will take a good marketing strategy. I really don't want Warner's to dig themselves a money pit, they have sooo many films to deal with, they really need to look at the longevity of their business so they can continue releasing these less famous films. I also believe that the fan base for classic films has been growing in the past few years, due to DVD. Many "now classic" films didn't find a following until Television an Video made them available to a new audience, and DVD is having the same effect if not stronger considering the much higher quality presentation available now. So I guess what I'm trying to say is in the next few years, after new audiences are able to see The Public Enemy, I Walked with a Zombie, Goldiggers of 1933 hell,Gone with the Wind!! There will be a larger base of people ready to buy films that now seem too obscure. I'm sure we have plenty of things to look forward to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks