Robert Harris on The Bits - 9/11/02 column - OFFICIAL THREAD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Hunt, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Insider
    Insider

We've just posted Robert Harris' new column on The Digital Bits. In this column, Robert talks about a pair of films which have had an impact on him personally, including one that takes on added significance given the day.
    Films are Personal
    As always, click on the link to read Robert's comments and then come on back here to this official thread at the HTF to discuss, give feedback, ask questions of Robert and sound off as you will.
    Peace.

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

This is sort of off topic, but I can't help noticing that Robert mentions a lot of films, and some get an asterisk meaning they are worthy of purchase. I'd like to see Rob Tomlin's face when he sees Lawrence of Arabia conspicously missing an asterisk. [​IMG]

3. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

Great article, Mr. Harris. I was on the fence about buying 9|11 even though I collect documentaries. And, I hadn't noticed that DON'T LOOK NOW had been announced.

Picked 'em both up on my way home from work today.

-greg

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Another great article, RAH. My wife and I watched and thoroughly enjoyed DON'T LOOK NOW last week - what a beautiful disk. This is another case of a DVD transfer that honestly comes close to looking "film-like". I'm so happy they didn't give it the digital smoothing treatment...

5. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

Strange...I was in one Best Buy and two different Borders yesterday, and one Wal*Mart today, and have not seen anything about this 9/11 documentary. The article is the first I've heard of it. I thought I had looked around pretty well, not looking for anything in particular, just browsing. I think I'll go out tomorrow and make a dedicated effort to find it. Should it be available in any of these stores I've mentioned, and what is the price?

6. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    9/11 is streeting at approximately $21, a portion of which goes to charity, as do the entire profits of the HBO special on the subject, which makes an interesting companion piece, and comes from Warner.

There are obviously a number of other DVDs which have recently made their way to the stores, so be careful to end up with the correct disc. This one is from Paramount.

I have not had a chance to check whether the profits from other offerings such as those on the World Trade Center go to charities.

If anyone knows, the information should be posted.

If they don't, they should be avoided like the plague. Companies attempting to profit from the event might just as well be buying scrap metal from Ground Zero, striking commemorative medallions from it and hawking them over the airwaves for "only $24.95 plus shipping and handling." I find it incomprehensible that any entity could or would publish anything with an eye toward profit from this tragedy.

RAH

7. Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea Second Unit

An excellent article. I wasn't in NYC on 9/11/01, but I'm nevertheless not ready to watch that documentary. I may do as suggested, get it and put it on a shelf, but I can't imagine a time when I'll be able to watch it without turning into a blubbering mess.

As for Don't Look Now, sounds exactly like the sort of movie I'd love. Picking up great movies sight unseen, just going on word of mouth or gut instinct, is the most fun part of being a movie nut -- that's how I ended up with Roeg's beautiful Walkabout. Fortunately, today is movie ordering day and I was looking for something just like this to complete the list. Thanks!

8. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I tried to watch 9/11 when it first aired on CBS. The moment the first plane hit the tower, I had to leave the room. I thought that I was prepared for it. I had seen the footage of the towers falling a hundred times by then. Nothing could have prepared me for what I saw. Someday, I know that I'll want to watch the entire film. I also know that I want our children to watch it when they're old enough. It's very hard to put a personal face on tragedy. This film accomplishes that without trying.

9. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

On the region 2 edition of Don't Look Now, there is a 20 minute retrospective mini-docu, and Roeg doesn't look 74, let me tell you! He's seems a right nice bloke. I am in awe of his work. Masque is amazing for a $300,000 21 day show from 1964. Far From The Madding Crowd need to be on DVD with a genuinely great transfer - what is the condition of the film's elements? The transfer on the region 2 of The Man Who Fell To Earth is also superb. I'd love to see Eureka get a good DVD edition some time soon.
    As long as humans have eyes, they owe it to themselves to watch the films that Nick Roeg worked his visionary magic on! [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]And God bless America too[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Gordy
    In Scotland

10. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

just another great article from Mr Harris and how he saw the events of 11 september 2001. Time sure does fly, I watched the documentary on the day itself as the bbc showed it. Very moving indeed and at times you do walk away to take a breather. I am not sure about buying this at the moment, too fresh.
    Oscar
    also from Scotland
    [​IMG]

11. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Nice article. The comments regarding the 9/11 DVD were right on the mark! It truly is amazing what these guys captured on film, and it isn't easy to watch.
    I just placed Don't Look Now on my Netflix list. I love Donald Sutherland, so I am really looking forward to viewing this one!

12. Daniel J

Daniel J Stunt Coordinator

13. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    As of Sept. 20, the other option will be 70mm.

14. Daniel J

Daniel J Stunt Coordinator

15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    "Don't Look Now" is somewhere in the mystery/horror/psychological thriller range. Parts of it are quite disturbing. It is not fun for the whole family, but is a very well made film for adult sensibilities.

Regards,

16. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    A little of topic, but didn't I see Robert mention (in another thread) that he would have an article on Wolfen up on the Bits?

17. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    You're quite correct.

Wolfen will be column after the next.

The 9/11 DVD was unexpected, worthy of discussion and set the schedule off a bit.

RAH

18. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell

19. Mike Munster

Mike Munster Auditioning

The box on the 9/11 DVD says its widescreen. Is it anamorphically enhanced?

20. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

DanielJ said: