What's new

Robert Altman's Short Cuts: Criterion Collection (1 Viewer)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

Michael Wilmington (Chicago Tribune film critic) mentioned that he provided Criterion with essays on Tanner '88, Secret Honor and Short Cuts.
Someone made mention of it on the CriterionForum website a couple weeks ago.

Rumor is there'll be more New Line titles licensed to Criterion.

Some other rumored titles are Hoop Dreams, Mike Leigh's Naked, Jane Campion's An Angel at my Table, Louis Malle's Damage and David Cronenberg's Crash.

I hope we'll see Jim Jarmush's Night on Earth licensed out to Criterion as well - even though noone made any mention of it.

Grady Reid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Grady
The LD didn't have commentary. Criterion producer Peter Becker said (circa 1994) Altman didn't want to do one at the time- Everything he wanted to say was in the movie. Also- "Luck, Trust, and Ketchup" only ran about 45 mins on the LD- so were getting the full version! Curiously, Becker also said at the time the doc wasn't very good, hence the shortened version! Remember how the LD had over 100 chapers for the movie- the most ever! You were able the program the chapers in your player to follow only one story line. Gotta love Laserdisc!

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Form the 2003 chat:

Jay_Gregory Hope this wasn't asked in the first five minutes: any chance for a 'Brewster McCloud' DVD? Love 'McCabe...'

Warner Based on past sales of BREWSTER on VHS and LD, it's doubtful a DVD release of the film would be profitable

Of course, with all the Criterion Altman interest, they could have a rethink...

Greg Mariotti

Stunt Coordinator
I would be extremely happy if New Line licensed Menace II Society to Criterion. Their LD of The Hughes Brothers first film was great. I'd love to retire that.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

You sure you flipped the disc over? It takes up 2 CLV sides (apart from some deleted scenes at the start of Side 5), and I seem to remember it running feature length.

DJ

Coressel

Supporting Actor

Kael's talk on the documentary commentary wasn't THAT negative, just an informative analysis of the film.

While Wilmington's and Kael's commentary isn't listed, the documentary is, so maybe Criterion will include them with this DVD?

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Hi,

just got an email from Jon Mulvaney over at Criterion, and he informed me that Short Cuts will only be available in the US. :frowning:

Chris

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
My Amazon.com pre-order went through nicely, I don't think that's what Christian meant. Perhaps Mr. Mulvaney meant that there is no release planned by a European distributor who would license the content from Criterion (cf. Armageddon which was distributed by Buena Vista if memory serves).

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Whoops. That's not what I meant. What I meant is that it will only be released in the US, but not in Canada! Of course you can still import, wherever you are.

Chris

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Full specs are in on the Home Vision website. Even without the Kael/Wilmington commentaries, this simply trounces the LD.

Special Features

Disc One:
  • New high-definition digital transfer, with restored image and sound, and enhanced for widescreen televisions, supervised by editor Geraldine Peroni and approved by director Robert Altman
  • Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack mix
  • Isolated music track
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired
Disc Two:
  • Reflections on Short Cuts, a new 25-minute videotaped conversation with Robert Altman and Tim Robbins
  • Luck, Trust, and Ketchup: Robert Altman in Carver Country, a feature-length documentary on the making of Short Cuts
  • To Write and Keep Kind, a PBS documentary on the life of Raymond Carver
  • A segment from BBC television’s Moving Pictures tracing the development of Raymond Carver’s short story “Jerry and Molly and Sam” for the film
  • A one-hour 1963 audio interview with Carver, conducted by the American Audio Prose Library
  • Original demo recordings of the Doc Pomus-Mac Robennack song performed by Dr. John
  • Deleted scenes
  • A look inside the marketing of Short Cuts, featuring trailers and more than sixty print advertising campaigns
Plus:
  • Short Cuts, the companion book of Raymond Carver short stories, reprinted exclusively for this release by arrangement with Vintage Books
  • An essay by film critic Michael Wilmington and a guide to the music

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
I can honestly say I'm more excited about this than any release this year.

This heavily influenced another favorite movie of mine, and I never miss a chance to recommend it: P.T. Anderson's "Magnolia" (although it's hard to imagine a fan of "Short Cuts" not having seen it).

"Nashville" is also a tremendous film, available as a decent DVD from Paramount.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks