What's new

Rob Zombie's "Halloween (2007)" coming (1 Viewer)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Finally I can see this film! I told you - I´m not buying any new films in SD DVD.. :)

Rob Zombie Confirms October Bow for 'Halloween' Blu-ray | High-Def Digest

"Pegging an October 21 street date (timed to coincide with the release of a new special edition DVD version), the Blu-ray is set to include an all-new four-and-a-half-hour documentary on the making of the film entitled "Michael Lives."

Further specs are still TBA, but given the three-disc configuration, all of the extras included on the previous two-disc Unrated DVD version (released last year) appear likely."

Very nice. "30 Days In Hell: The Making of The Devil's Rejects" documentary was just excellent.

And now, let´s have those 10 pages worth of rant how bad this film was. :D

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I don't necessairly think it was bad. I thought it had potential, but there were definately a few things I did not like about it, some of which significantly brought down the film for me. I'd probably pick this up though because I have most of the other films and that Documentarly that's mentioned sounds interesting.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

And they'll all be wrong. Thanks for confirming this is a Blu-ray release; I've known about it for days but thought it would be SD only.

Jeff McMillan

Stunt Coordinator
I enjoyed Devil's Rejects, but personally I thought this was a step back for Zombie. I don't think it was very effective take on Myers. He removed a lot of the mystery from the character. And some of the scenes bordered on unintentional comedy.

I'd probably rate this right up there with Psycho in the category of useless remakes.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
No, they'll have an opinion and a perfectly valid one at that. It's an absolutely atrocious film even when taken outside of the context of it being a Halloween remake in my own personal opinion. I say that as a Zombie fan and someone that loved The Devil's Rejects.

For those that enjoy it though (which there is absolutely nothing wrong with - again the wonders of opinion) - it's good to see it get a BD release.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
A four and a half hour making of doc!? Damn! :eek:

This is a wierd film for me, there are films that when I first see them I don't care for them but they grow on me over time, this one is the opposite, I liked it when I saw it in theaters but the more I watched the DVD the less I enjoyed it.

I've lovingly come to refer to Zombie's vision of this beloved classic as "the white trash version of Halloween" lol.

I'll still pick this up, though just to have it but I don't know if i'll be able to stomach this murky looking film in full 1080p, it'll just make what's already ugly even uglier. ;)

Brendan Surpless

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brendan Surpless
If I can get a good deal on this one I'll probably pick this one up. I enjoyed what Zombie did to flesh out the childhood psyche of Myers. Not even in the same ball park as Carpenter's classic but not that bad (maybe 2.5/5).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There's parts of this movie that I like and parts that I hate. Before seeing it, I didn't think I'd like the examination of young Michael Myers' psyche but that ended up being my favorite stuff in the movie by far.

Even without the documentary, I'd pick this up but the doc is the icing on the cake.

Ralphie_B

Stunt Coordinator

Having just watched the DVD earlier this week, I have to agree. I like Micheal Myers as a 'force of nature' much more than as a regular human being that became psychotic through a perfect storm of innate and environmental factors.
So while I've seen a lot of people say they were intrigued by the first part of the film, then turned off by the Haddonfield portion, I kind of went the other way. I could do without the exposition up front, but I sort of enjoyed the retread through Haddonfield on Halloween night.

But enough about the film itself... I was wondering about picture quality on disc. When I watched this on DVD, I noticed LOTS of combing/interlacing artifacts. Is it supposed to look that way, or is it possible my player wasn't detecting the pulldown cadence properly?

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Serious people crack me up. :P By the way, it's only a perfectly valid opinion to people who agree with it. Or, taking a different approach, shouldn't the "in my opinion" part be pretty much assumed in all discussions regarding subjective appreciation of art?

Rolando

Screenwriter
I thought it was a pretty good Rob Zombie film and a decent scary/slasher film. However an insut as a Halloween film. To me this will always be another scary movie where the character's name just happen to coincide with the names of the characters in the brilliant Halloween movie from John Carpenter.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Rob Zombie is a very odd fellow, he has very lofty ideas for his horror films however more often than not he just doesn't seem to know how to execute them, his writing is horrible but his heart is definitely in the right place.

He should try his hand at quieter horror, that's where the genius of Carpenter's original lies, Zombie's films are about as subtle as dropping an anvil on your foot...brute force doesn't equal great horror and that's where his Halloween goes off the rails.

Like most I enjoyed the first half better because it got into Michael's head and was more psychologically terrifying, once that's over and we get to Haddonfield Zombie's instinct for bombast takes over and we're then hit over the head with nothing but brutal killing after killing.

He states in interviews that he has succeeded in making Michael scary again...he was wrong lol, his Michael is actually no different than Jason now, a giant nut in a mask who overpowers people and slaughters them in brutal ways and to me that cannot compare with the souless and stealthy entity that Michael was in the original.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
You're WRONG. Halloween 6 *IS* Citizen Kane with a Michael Myers mask on. PURE F'ING CLASSIC!

Rolando

Screenwriter
I think many got it right. Making it a white trash issue was a huge mistake. I think part of the freakiness was that the myers lived in the suburbs and were at least middleclass. Both parents were coming home that first night and semed almost upper middle class with nice suppers and maybe even theatre tickets. Michael never missed out on anything. not food, clothing or toys. That is what makes it such a mystery that he would snap.
No one is surprised that some low income/single/stripper mom would raise a psycho. It's prejudiced and incorrect but it's expected nonetheless.
If it turned out that jack the ripper was some horny, alcoholic homeless guy no one would even remember him. The possibility of him being an upperclass gentleman maybe even a doctor/surgeon well that just boggles the mind. What made him snap?
The fun part is not knowing for sure. Someone should have told Mr Zombie so.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Even if the remake's background on Michael is fairly stereotypical, I don't think it makes much difference. I think the aspect that they shouldn't have carried over (from the first sequel) is that Michael is after Laurie because they're related. In the original, he's after Laurie and kills her friends for no reason at all. And even if the original had given him the same stereotypical serial killer background, he would still have killed the girls in that movie for no reason which is scarier than "He's trying to kill his sister" or "He's part of an evil cult" or "He's got the Thorn Curse".

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Most likely I won't have a BD player by October so I may end up snagging the SD out of the bargain bin (when and if it appears there before October). This isn't exactly on my list of most fav horror films of all time.

I liked the film just fine. I downloaded the leaked version the day before I went to see it at the cinema. Very weird that I was able to do that! At any rate, I liked things about the leaked version better but felt the editing and music was better in the TC. I've yet to see what they did with this official "Unrated" cut. Anxious to see!

brap

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alisdair Edwards
Remaking a classic horror is a fine line to walk. You could do a reshooting the original (eg. Psycho, Omen 666) that is useless and boring because there is nothing new. Or you can make a movie that is just taking the name of the original sell it and nothing else (new Day of the Dead). Then there is making a classic completely hollywood (eg. The Invasion which might as well had Will Smith in it).
Some do it very well like Body Snatchers 78 and The Thing who exceed the original. Or Dawn of the Dead and Texas Chainsaw which still are good, but pale in comparison to the original.
Halloween fits the very last one. Paling to the original. it's not shot for shot, basic story elements are there, and it's not hollywood (there would at least have been a love interest).
I give props to Rob Zombie. Before this he made a movie that was 10 times more grindhouse than Grindhouse and now he made a remake that is truly his own. I'm making room on my shelf now.

P.S. I do not own 5,6, or 8. 3 doesn't count.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks