What's new

Road trip to USGP (1 Viewer)

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Last year, I got tickets to the F1 race at Indy which runs this weekend. Unfortunately, I got caught by the old Indy trap, a lack of hotel rooms, and had planned to just forget about it.
However, I can now get a room for a reasonable price! It's too late to book a flight, they're way expensive so close to the date, so I'm thinking about driving. From Austin
eek.gif

Apparently it's 1100 miles each way. Has anyone got any experience of driving this distance? I dunno if I can hack it... I will have my wife to share the driving, though I'll be doing most of it.
Good idea? Bad idea?
------------------
Dave Smith
http://home.austin.rr.com/beowulf99

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
I recently drove from Melbourne, FL to Chicago, IL which I believe was right around 1200 miles. It wasn't so bad, but make sure that you plan two days for driving each way.
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

CharlesD

Screenwriter
A trip that long is not too bad. I've driven further alone and it was no problem.
I'm also driving to the USGP. Will get there Thursday afternoon and am looking forward to 3 days of F1!!!
The hotels in Indianapolis will kil the USGP there IMO. Before the current situation changed things they were charging $400/night, minimum 3 night stay... apparently thats twice what they charge for the Indy 500/irl 497.5 !
I've heard that this gouging caused quite a few cancellation from tour groups and is one reason for the lack-luster ticket sales this year.
Anyway I went last year and had a blast!
------------------
-- Will Work for Five Million Dollars

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Why don't you just bring a tent, a warm sleeping bag and camp in the infield? :)
You could probably outfit a small family of three with good quality name brand camping gear for $500 easy..
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

brentl

Senior HTF Member
One heck of a drive for a race. You must really love it!!
I have trouble going to the Molson Indy in Toronto every summer....it's only 30 MILES South of me :)
LL cool B

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
As Adrian suggested, make sure you make the trip over two days. Also, stop mid-day for a sitdown lunch -- it's a nice break from a long day of driving. Finally, if you can, stay an extra day or so in Indianapolis before heading home. Otherwise, 2200 miles over 5 days will be very tiring.
We did a 3,500+ mile road trip this summer to Vermont, Maine and the Canadian Atlantic provinces. My usual driving limit for any one day is about 9 hours (but I've done 12-13 hours before when necessary). My wife never drives on these trips, so if your spouse is willing to share some of the driving, it should not be too bad.
------------------
patriot.gif

My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

EddieN

Agent
Hey Dave,
It's always good to see a fellow Austin dude on here. When I first came out to Austin two years ago, my X girlfriend (was my girlfriend at the time) drove from Falls Church, Virginia to Austin, Texas and we made it in 24 hours straight. Falls Church is about 20 minutes outside of Washington, D.C. Since your driving with your wife you should be able to make the trip in a day and half.
Good Luck, have fun,
------------------
- Eddie

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys,
Decided to go, given the choice between "shall I sit around doing nothing again this weekend" or "road trip to the F1 race" I knew which was the right thing to do :)
We leave at 8am tomorrow morning. Watch for me in stand C, row G on Sunday
biggrin.gif

------------------
Dave Smith
http://home.austin.rr.com/beowulf99

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks