What's new

"Road to Perditon" Reviews (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I don't have any complaints after viewing this dvd twice. The video presentation is how I remembered seeing it in the theater. The dvd played on a RP-91 player and was viewed on my ISF calibrated Pro-710 screen.

Crawdaddy

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
hey Robert,

why aren't you using your S2300!? grin.
mulling this player.

I have an RP82 (region 1 base, multi-switching). I need something with a 'screensaver'.

no complaints is good.

I just chimed in as to how people view the video quality, and to my eyes, it ain't the best (especially the opening chapter).

are you viewing using front projection?

cheers

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Anybody else think Dreamwork screwed the pooch on this release by not making it two discs? With a two disc set they could've included both DD and DTS tracks on the same disc, as well as a whole disc of extra features.
The extra features would have been allright, but an extra disc just to get DTS added is a bad idea. This solution is neater: everyone can decide for him-/herself which version to buy, without having to "pay" (in whatever form) for the other.

Cees

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I want to know how that sequence where Hanks is led through the nightclub and into the basement office sounds. I saw it at the Varsity in Toronto, and I nearly wept at how marvelous that sequence looked and sounded.

Is it a knockout on the disc?

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
The extra features would have been allright, but an extra disc just to get DTS added is a bad idea. This solution is neater: everyone can decide for him-/herself which version to buy, without having to "pay" (in whatever form) for the other.
I don't think it would've been a bad idea, since it would've eliminated any controversy over video/audio quality and presence of extras on the different discs. What if the Pulp Fiction Collector's Edition (went for $14.99 at Best Buy) had separate DD and DTS editions? There would be an outrage, because it's just not necessary. Perdition probably would've been close to the same price as a 2-disc set. And let's face it, nobody gets angry about getting DTS...the only grumblings you get concerning DTS are when it's not present.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
The extra features would have been allright, but an extra disc just to get DTS added is a bad idea.
I think that it’s an excellent idea. You get everything including higher bitrates and features all for the same price of just one DVD on 2 DVDs. It’s actually not just a brilliant idea but becoming a norm with some releases!

MarcVH

Second Unit

On the other hand, if you want the DTS soundtrack and all the bonus content, you're SOL. Renters are also SOL because they'll just get whichever single version of the movie their store chose to get.

How much more does a two-disc distribution cost to make and ship anyway, compared to the costs involved with making multiple versions? The only source I'm aware of who has big cost increases for having two discs is Netflix.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,

My apologies for not having my own review up.

Fact is, I haven't received a screener yet while
most everyone else has. I suppose just another one
of those mixups that happen.

I have decided not to do a review because there
really is no point at this time. Looking forward
to seeing this film.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
And let's face it, nobody gets angry about getting DTS...the only grumblings you get concerning DTS are when it's not present.
Maybe not "angry", but I'm often annoyed at the space wasted on an audio track that I consider, in most cases, redundant.

M.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I don't think it would've been a bad idea, since it would've eliminated any controversy over video/audio quality and presence of extras on the different discs.
But you would have to buy a second disc and get less extra than you pay for: you still pay for the space of the "other" soundtrack that you won't use and for the royalties.

It would be much 'cleaner' - and not obscure the commercial facts - if they always made two discs, both filled to the rim: one with DD, and the extra space filled with video content (higher bitrate for the movie and less compression, as well as some more extras) and another with the DTS track (and of course less space for the video content) and a higher price (the DTS royalties).

That way everyone would have an honest choice, without having to pay for somebody else's wishes.

Cees

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
But you would have to buy a second disc and get less extra than you pay for: you still pay for the space of the "other" soundtrack that you won't use and for the royalties.
I think a whole disc of extras would more than make up for a single track that you might not want. I can't say I'm really satisfied with there being just a few deleted scenes, an HBO puff piece and a commentary for extras. They could've done a great documentary for the second disc. I don't think the video quality would be much, improved, either...even SuperBits aren't a huge improvement over regular transfers.

C

Chris*Liberti

I could care less about the extras as wwell. The only ones I ever listen to are the director commentaries by directors I like (ie. Kubrick, Soderbergh, Spielberg, etc.) I only care about the best picture and sound hence I always buy the DTS if available and Superbit titles and I am contemplating getting D-VHS which by the way it looks now will probably have a better picture than HD-DVD.

Tim RH

Second Unit
Yeah, gotta love those Kubrick and Spielberg commentaries! Man, those are my favorites. :rolleyes

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I still think they dropped the ball. They should have done a movie only version with full bitrate DTS 96/24 and 2.0 DD for less, then a special edition DD version for those who absolutely must have extras.

Dan

Jay W

Supporting Actor
I honestly couldn't give two hoots about full-bitrate DTS. Whenever it is feasible and possible to do so I choose DTS but having a good overall A/V presentation is number one for me. So sacrificing video quality or even extras in order to squeeze another 5.1 track onto a release is not a selling point for me.

Thankfully, Perdition isn't as bad as we thought in terms of the video quality though I still must question the decision to put both 5.1 tracks on the DTS release. Going to see if I can borrow the DD version to do a quick comparison later on in the week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks