What's new

Rj6... (1 Viewer)

Gray

Agent
I have a stupid question. When I started building my home theater, I ran coaxial cable to my celing where my projector is mounted. Since then, I have learned that there is no connection for coax. Can I put another cable end on the coax? Yes I am sure it won't be high quality but when superbowl or something comes on, it would be nice to watch it on the big screen...

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
you can put a normal composite connection or you can run 2 more wires and run component. Just add the apprpriate amount of RCA plugs

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm.. The most common thing to do is to run many different types of connection to such a display.

Composite (Yucko!!) is the only connection that will use the single wire in that cable.

I suggest using it as a cable puller, and running everything, using it to pull the new cables, should be somewhat easy.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Sure there is – standard F connectors are the norm for coaxial cable. You can get screw-on adapters that will convert them to RCA.

That’s the easiest way – you can also solder RCA’s to coaxial cable, provided it you use the right cable and RCA connectors.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
...or crimp on RCA or BNC ends, or...

The possibilities are endless. You can also get converters to-and-from SDI and run anything you want over that single cable, but at some point, the cost/benefit really gets screwed up. (A good SDI tranciever pair probably costs, what, $5000? More?)

Probably the best thing is to use it to pull another bundle through - if it's not doing anything like going through floor/ceiling joists.

Future-proofing is, for some reason, always harder than it should be...

Leo Kerr

Gray

Agent
Cable puller, that's pretty funny.I managed to run component video, s-video,and one composite to the projector. So I have the cables I need for the DVD player, PS2, and VCR. The problem is the coax splits behind the projector to the TV at the bar so the coax is staying. I can run a seperate coax behind the rear wall and into the VCR which has the composite running to the projector. I do have an s-video running from my audio rack to the projector. My reciever (Sony STRDB-840) has video inputs and outputs but I have never used them and I'm not real sure about the video switching on my reciever. I am concidering buying a video selector with all inputs and outputs. Do they make an inexpensive version I can program into my remote?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks