Riptide Season 1 - Canadian or US?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Christian Preischl, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    With the release of the Canadian Riptide season 1 set being imminent, I still can't make up my mind on which version to get. The big factors for me are: PQ, unedited versions, unaltered music. I know Sony's track record in these departments, but how's VEI's?

Which set is everyone else getting and why? Any decision making help would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

2. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    I am torn, but I am leaning toward Canada using Hardcastle & McCormick as an example of a high quality product. I do not know of any special features on these except Canada will have a bonus episode of Street Justice. The first Hardcastle had a nice booklet with episode descriptions.

If anyone can do a comparison between these or the Gimmie a Break's I would like to know.

3. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I'll probably wait until somebody does a detailed comparison of both versions before I purchase this series. I have to admit though that Sony tends to do a crappy job in the PQ department for their less popular titles. VEI currently has the edge right now based on how Hardcastle & McCormick turned out.

4. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Extra

Can't wait for Riptide to come out in the US. tHAT IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE SHOWS.

5. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl
    So, has anybody bought the Canadian set and can comment on the quality?

6. RogerH

RogerH Supporting Actor

I couldn't find it ANYWHERE [​IMG]

7. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    I went ahead and imported the Canadian version of Riptide with Hardcastle & McCormick Season 2. I have only watched the double length pilot and the Street Justice bonus episode. Even though I have a really good TV memory, I have no recollection of this series but found it very fun to watch. I am no expert at these things but as for image it seems to be in as great of quality as one would expect from other 80's action series found on DVD such as Magnum, A-Team, Dukes of Hazzard and Hardcastle & MCCormick, if not better. The only thing I found fuzzy were some long distance shots of flying vehicles over an ocean. This happened only for a few seconds and I believe that it was not with the main vehicles. I can not recall the running time of the pilot but I did check out an episode on disc 3 just to see the opening credit montage, the pilot was presented as a film in a ways without the opening, and this episode clocked in around abouts 49 minutes. I believe the Street Justice episode was about 45 minutes in length and looked well too. The set included a thick booklet with episode descriptions and character bios On the back of the booklet it said coming soon Hardcastle and McCormick Season 3, Street Justice Seasons 1 and 2, Cobra, and Stingray.

8. Duane Alford

Duane Alford Second Unit

Stingray? Hooray, can't wait for that one!

9. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Cobra!! Sweet. I had transferred all of my slp vhs copies to dvd.

Also, Vengeance Unlimited (Great show) had the same premise as Stingray

Stingray info:

10. Will_C

Will_C Second Unit

Will
    I'm really looking forward to Street Justice. Can't find any release info yet, but I'm thinking about going ahead and getting Riptide from Canada rather than the US to get the bonus SJ ep, it was one of my favorites back in '91-'92. Good to hear that there are plans for Stingray to be released.

11. coryE

coryE Agent

Have any canadians seen this for sale?

No store here has had this in stock, WM, FS or zellers.

Would love to buy it locally but it's looking like I'll have to resort to Amazon.

Cory

12. Joseph J.D

The new Best Buy location at Dundas & Bay in Toronto has them. When I was there yesterday they had three sets of them on the racks in the TV on DVD section. The sticker price on them is $32.99 .

13. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl
    DVD Town has a review of the US set here.

14. Joseph J.D

According to the review, Sony's version has no extras.....no surprises there. Glad I picked up the VEI version. [​IMG][​IMG]

15. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

Are you sure the VEI version had any riptide extras itself ? i think it just had the bonus episode for the carl weathers series.

I have my order in for the SONY release... I have a feeling though that VEI will get season 2 and 3 out years before sony if ever releases Season 2. So i definately will be going the VEI route for the other seasons. I just preferred the box art on the sony release. You gotta have the "screaming mimi" on there!!! [​IMG]

16. Joseph J.D

There are no extras related to Riptide on the VEI set....Just the 'Street Justice' bonus episode. It's certainly better than nothing which is exactly what Sony is giving with their release......I do like their cover better though -The VEI one looks rather plain to me.

17. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

Ahh okay thanks, that is what i figured. Looking forward to seeing this again for the first time since it originally aired.

18. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Extra

I haven't found Riptide in any stores yet here in the US.

19. JeffO

JeffO Stunt Coordinator

I picked up this set a few weeks ago, and really loved it. I vaguely remembered enjoying it from my youth, so I picked it up and then devoured it.

All three actors really blended well together with a true sense of friendship. Boz was a great character, plus the Roboz was hilarious.

I didn't check the Amazon.com sales at the time it first came out, but right now the sales are poor. Anyone monitor how the sales went from Amazon? I know that isn't the only way to judge sales, but at least it is one indicator. I definitely will buy the next two seasons if they come out.

Thanks

JeffO

20. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

I bought the US release of Riptide for S1 knowing sony probably would not continue releasing them, heck i am still waiting for more TJ Hooker from them. But no doubt in my mind VEI in canada will release the final two seasons. So no worry in being able to complete your Riptide collection!