RIP Roger Ebert :(

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Sam Posten, Apr 4, 2013.

1. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Sad... It was Siskel and Ebert and their old show that influenced me thinking of movies as more than just "entertainment".

Movies could be about more.... they can give us something to think about.

RIP

Suzanne.S and EricSchulz like this.
  2. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    He will certainly be missed...

_Man_

3. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Cinematographer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    One of my all time favorite movie going experiences was seeing Apocalypse Now at the CineramaDome in Hollywood and sitting one row in front of Roger Ebert. I think he was on a date with his soon to be wife, and I loved hearing the occasional comment he would make regarding the film.

4. andrew markworthy

Here in the UK, we only knew Mr Ebert from his written work and of course in more recent times his DVD commentaries. I think he was far and away the best film critic the USA has produced. A sad sad loss.

5. sidburyjr

sidburyjr Second Unit

Dick Sidbury
    His "The Great Movies" series of books are really good and are among the best film books that I have ever bought. I wish I had bought the first book when it was available in hardback.

While I often disagree with his opinions on current movies, his writing was so clear that I could usually tell whether I would like a film based on his reviews regardless of his opinion.

Suzanne.S likes this.
  6. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    Very sad news. Years ago he had a forum on Compuserve and he was very accessible to his readers. He even mentioned me in print once, in his review of Cop Land. RIP, Roger. You deserve peace after what you had to endure in recent years.

7. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Sad indeed. The world has lost a treasure.

8. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Your final line says it all, Richard. Roger deserve's peace.

To me, Roger was the greatest entertainment writer of the generation. More than just a "film critic." His words were always on target, honest, succinct, and entertaining. If a film was garbage, he didn't hold back. If it was great, you could feel his absolute personal pleasure in his words.

And then there were Ebert's Rules of Film.

I first met Roger in 1979. Later, he and Gene joined us at our openings of Napoleon in NY and Chicago. They were in place for our Lawrence opening in LA. He had an absolute love of film and filmmakers, and was always as a fan. Never above it.

One thing that I'll always remember. Just because it was absolutely charming and unaffected. When he saw me chatting with Gregory Peck at the Lawrence after-party, he came over, pulled on my suit jacket, and whispered in my ear... "Introduce me..." I did.

My heart goes out to Roger's extraordinary wife Chaz, and to his family. We'll miss you Roger.

There is no replacement.

RAH

9. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    I've always been grateful to both Siskel & Ebert for championing letterboxing, and the high end home video formats.

They even devoted entire shows to laserdiscs, widescreen vs cropped, and many other topics.

Wherever they are, I hope they get their "aisle seats"!

10. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

"Siskel & Ebert"/"At the Movies" was must-see TV on WTTW, later syndication. Even if I had no interest in the movies being reviewed I watched as they were just entertaining to watch interact. A sad day, indeed.

11. Ruly2

Ruly2 Supporting Actor

Josh
    He and his reviews will be greatly missed! my heart goes out to his family and friends. I always looked to reading his reviews every Friday. He was one of the best there was. Today is a sad day :( :( :( :( :(

12. Dave Upton

Dave Upton Owner
    Owner

Dave Upton
    A great loss to the world of film criticism and appreciation. Far too often, today's "critics" are simply misanthropic elitists who have an all too narrow view of what constitutes a good film.

RIP Roger.

13. davidHartzog

davidHartzog Cinematographer
    Supporter

John smith
    RIP Roger.

14. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Roger Ebert (and Gene Siskel) did a lot to enhance my enjoyment of film, and they both educated me to some extent with regard to the genre.

Thankfully, I own A Kiss Is Still a Kiss -- a very enjoyable read indeed. Mr. Ebert will be missed.

15. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    My niece has always thought I was a genius at selecting films for her when she was little. She gives me all the credit for discovering gems like My Neighbor Totoro. Just want to come clean on that now that Rog is gone. Thank you sir for the fun words about movies. I didn't always agree, but I always saw where you were coming from (well, mostly... those tripods were awesome in Spiel's War of the Worlds, I don't know what you were talkin bout!!!!)

RIP sir. Sorry that horrible stuff got you. :(

16. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Siskel and Ebert At The Movies was one of the few shows done by critics that I would watch for their opinion as it usually went with what I thought too. I loved the banter between the two of them.

I remember Ebert of CompuServe too and like Richard said he would always write you back if you sent him an email regarding his take on a movie or any other subject. He wasn't as much a critic of the movies as he was a fan that had an educated opinion and was a terrific author.

When he got sick and with all the surguries he had to endure I am thankful that he could go peacefully at home and his long suffuring had ended. No one should have to go through what he did and he did so with courage and grace.

RIP Mr. Ebert. You will be miss.

17. Raul Marquez

Raul Marquez Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Raul H. Marquez, MD
    I agree with all of the above comments. I "met" Roger from the old CompuServe days, and even got him to mention me in his booklet "EBERT'S LITTLE MOVIE GLOSSARY". It was funny to me (he later apologized to me for it) that he credited me as Raul Marquez, Maryland because I signed my comments to him as Raul Marquez, MD.

He set the bar by which all films critics should be measured. His 3 volumes on "THE GREAT MOVIES I, II and III" should be required reading for all movie fans.

Raul

Ockeghem likes this.
  18. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    ^^ I added those to my wishlist, along with a few other things I've meant to pick up.