rip-off cover art (1 Viewer)

How about these?
0783225962.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00000JZHH.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The Being There cover is a tip of the hat to the surrealist painter Magritte. The other two are just similar low-angle shots of the main character with the horizon in the background - common graphic composition, and it is unlikely that one was based on the other. I suppose it is possible that the designers had Magritte in the back of their minds, but rather doubt it. Still less do I think they had Being There in mind. (In fact, I remember a similar surrealist poster that didn't resemble the example shown.)

The Scream and similar layouts are simply a convenient way to show a bunch of actors who contractually have a right to appear (with approximately equal billing) on the poster/cover. There are only so many ways to fit "x" number of faces in a picture along with the title and other information that has to be there and still have everything be visible. Remember, the purpose of a poster and/or cover is to sell the film. It has to be an image that can be taken in at a glance, easily identified, and interest a browser in checking the film out. (The small size of DVD boxes is a prime reason that something other than the original poster art is often used. What looks good on a billboard or a 27" x 46" poster is often unreadably small on a DVD box.)

Given similar constraints it is no surprise that artists come up with similar solutions to the design problem - even if they've never seen the "original" cover that their work resembles. (Some of the examples above are blantant rip-offs obviously intended to confuse the consumer into picking up one film thinking it is another of which he or she may have only a vague recollection. Others, like The Last Picture Show, seem to be accidents of design, since the "rip-off" cover doesn't even especially resemble the original, and the composition is completely different.)

Regards,

Joe

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Wait! wasn't Will Patton IN Gone in Sixty Seconds? He was! Wow...what's he doing in the rip-off too? Actually, what are any of those actors doing in the rip-off?
The artwork for the DVD is the only ripoff. Turturro's movie actually came out a couple years BEFORE G60S. The two films are completely different, story-wise.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Look at ANYTHING Miramax form the past few years. It is all headshots and crap like that. You can tell what studio it is just by the way the cover is done.

Whoops! I had a post from months ago a little bit up!

JavierS

Stunt Coordinator
The Being There cover is a tip of the hat to the surrealist painter Magritte. The other two are just similar low-angle shots of the main character with the horizon in the background - common graphic composition, and it is unlikely that one was based on the other. I suppose it is possible that the designers had Magritte in the back of their minds, but rather doubt it. Still less do I think they had Being There in mind.
Well I read in an interview with Brett Ratner (director of Family Man) where he said that "Being There" was one of his favorite films, so the similarities between the cover art is no surprise to me ;)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Digging up an old topic here, but every time I see this cover art:
B00007JMEB.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

...I'm reminded of this one!
6305428042.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Hmmm...now that I see them side-by-side, as it were, maybe it's just an "in the ballpark" thing. It's certainly not dead-spot-on. Still, one reminded me of the other.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Of course, some like say the Bride Of Chucky/Scream 2 and Problem Child/Parenthood examples are not 'rip-offs' but parodies. I would be more interested in seeing more parody covers on this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks