RIP Mike Douglas..

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by todd s, Aug 11, 2006.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Just heard on the radio that legendary tv host Mike Douglas died today...On his 81st b-day.

RIP [​IMG]

2. nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood Second Unit

RIP Mike.

He was cool. I've gotten to see clips of the show... being that it was over by the time I was born. Always just seemed to actually know what he was talking about. Plus he was cool enough to let Lennon and Yoko host.

3. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Mr. Douglass dubbed the singing voice of Prince Charming in Cinderella (1950).
    He and his wife have been married for 62 years.

4. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i enjoyed the mike douglas show when i was a kid.

we knew someone who was on tv from the audience.
    was a big deal for us.

[​IMG]

5. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

I remember one of the jingles they had in the 1970s for advertising Mike's show:

"Mike makes your day!"

And he always did.

RIP Mike, you deserve it.

6. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

RIP, Mr. Douglas.

Wow, Jack Paar, Johnny Carson, and now Mike Douglas are gone...

This is eerie, because I just thought about him a week or so ago, wondering how old he was, what he was doing, etc.

I used to watch Mike's show in the 1970s after school. I think it was on about 4 pm in my area.

He was a great host, maybe daytime's version of Carson if I dare say so. His show had entertainers, athletes, politicians... you name it. He could do the celebrity fluff and serious interviews both well, sometimes on the same episode. He had some people on that were considered pretty radical at the time.

Certainly any daytime talk show like Ellen's that is celebrity-based can trace its roots back to Mike's show.

I loved his idea of the co-host, a guest that would be on all week. You really got to know that person well, at least as well as you can on TV. Jimmy Kimmel used the same concept at first, but dropped it- maybe too hard to get people to go on all week?

I was unaware he had sang in "Cinderella". I'll have to watch that and see if I recognize his voice. (Actually, when his show was on, I didn't like his singing, probably due to the types of songs he sang, not his voice.)

Is any of his show available on DVD? If there is ever a best-of release, check it out, if you never got to see it when it was new.