What's new

RIP - Gene Wilder (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Jim: Where you headed, cowboy?

Bart: Nowhere special.

Jim: Nowhere special? I always wanted to go there.

Bart: Come on.

Wherever you are Gene, may you Rest in Peace! My condolences to Mr. Wilder's family and friends.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
watched The Producers tonight

"I'm in pain and I'm wet and I'm still hysterical!"

"My blanket! My blue blanket! Give me my blue blanket!"

RIP to a man who held many jobs
Mortician, Accountant, Manure Seller, French peasant/count, Gunslinger, Mad Scientist, Train Traveler, Convict, and Candyman - all of them sweet, all of them crazy, and all of them damn funny.

I think my favorite (a really really close race) would be Start The Revolution Without Me

"I want everything I've ever seen in the movies!"

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
Thank you Mr. Wilder for so many great cinema experiences. Your performances always bought a smile to my face. Leo Bloom is a remarkable creation that never ceases to make me laugh.
RIP

Reactions: PMF

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Such a wonderful talent. There is no way I can pick a favorite role of his, as there were so many great ones. RIP, Willy Wonka, Dr. Frankenstein, Waco Kid, Leo Bloom, etc., etc.

"Well, it got so that every piss-ant prairie punk who thought he could shoot a gun would ride into town to try out the Waco Kid. I must have killed more men than Cecil B. DeMille. It got pretty gritty. I started to hear the word "draw" in my sleep. Then one day, I was just walking down the street when I heard a voice behind me say, "Reach for it, mister!" I spun around... and there I was, face to face with a six-year old kid. Well, I just threw my guns down and walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass. So I limped to the nearest saloon, crawled inside a whiskey bottle... and I've been there ever since."

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Farewell to our Brillo-haired man who was cast opposite of that wooly-haired sheep - all gartered in black.

For my money, the true testament to Gene Wilder's comedic talents were rooted in his greatness as an actor; truly, a brilliant fusion of the two. Take "Bonnie and Clyde", for instance. Here we saw the embodiment of one undertaker's innocence faced with an edgy life or death fear, tension and intimidation; all rolled together in one great and comedic ride of discomfort and humiliation, with none other than The Barrow Gang. In that performance, we see a multi-faceted array of everything a human being could feel within such an encounter; and it seamlessly achieves on all fronts. This one single scene; coming from a man who was also a member of The Actor's Studio; was the essence of what we came to love about Gene Wilder.

As time has now shown, there were not many film actors of the modern era who were able to create a new and iconoclastic image comparable to what we found in a Chaplin, a Laurel, a Hardy, a Lloyd, a Fields, a Buster or a Brothers Marx. Gene Wilder, though, was clearly that rare continuum of the list.

And talk about the tears of a clown.
Within my heart I always felt that all shots of further laughter being given to us were forever gone, upon the passing of Gilda Radner. I am truly of the belief that once Ms. Radner passed, Mr. Wilder's inner laughter was also laid to rest; where all was then interred by her side.
I suspect that this was a deeply founded love from which he never recovered.

Infectious.
This seems to be the single word that comes to mind.
Be it in his interviews when paired with Gilda; or in each and every frame of all his films.
Or do I want to say Gleeful?
Or Manic?
Or just plain fun?

Chocolate Factories and Frankenstien's will never be as Wilder, again.

Last edited:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Wonka and Saddles being shown in some AMC theaters nationwide this weekend. Going to Saddles Sunday night. Long live the Waco Kid!

EDIT: And we just got tix to the Wonka show prior to that. Double Feature Sunday with Mr. Wilder. Or maybe I'll just call him...Jim.

Last edited:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Took two friends to the double feature in AMC Orange (So Cal) and both shows were sold out. The audience response was tremendous, a loud cheer went up in both films when Mr. Wilder showed up onscreen for the first time, and both audiences applauded loudly at the end of each film. Despite owning both on Blu Ray (and I'm betting that's the same transfer I just watched on the big screen) I really appreciated seeing this in a room of over 100 people, all of whom were showing their support and respect for Mr. Wilder.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks