What's new

RIP Corey Monteith (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Shocking because of his age. Corey Monteith, who played Finn on "Glee" has died.

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=817826
Cory Monteith, who played jock-turned-gleek Finn Hudson on FOX's musical phenomenon "Glee,"was found dead Saturday at a Vancouver hotel. He was 31.

The Canadian actor's body was found just after noon at the Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel, said Vancouver police at a news conference Saturday night. They did not give a cause of death, but said foul play was not suspected.

Monteith had recently finished a stint in rehab for substance abuse, after previously seeking help for addiction at age 19.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Saw this headline this morning and was shocked. Haven't watched Glee in three years, and wasn't watching rumors on behind the scenes trouble. The wife read a bit more, and saw he'd been a troubled young man since before the show. Sad to hear it. He was a talented performer and brought a little joy to our life.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Whether he died of overdose or suicide, his struggle with addiction is almost certainly the cause. A tragedy every time it happens, which is unfortunately far too often.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I certainly agree - a tragedy. Despite problems behind the scenes, he certainly was a warm and fun presence on the show during its run thus far. He'll be missed on the show for sure.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
Another drug addict dead at a young age, not sure why anybody would be shocked or surprised since it is a sad story we see fairly often. We can only hope some young fans read about it and think twice before choosing the same path. Talent, fame and fortune at a young age doesn't always come with the intellect to deal with it all, I don't know what troubles he had growing up and I am sure there is no shortage of blame to be felt among family and friends. Whether it was an accidental overdose, suicide by drug overdose or just damage done by long term drug abuse, doesn't really matter to me although I suspect an accidental overdose will be identified as the cause.

We have watched the first 10 episodes or so of the first season of Glee on Blu-ray, not sure whether to continue on or wait, that silly fun show might have a different feel for me now. I don't know if I can laugh at a naive kid that could believe he got his girlfriend pregnant without having sex, now that he is dead in real life. I don't have any idea how the story has developed over the years having never watched an episode before buying the first two seasons on Blu-ray and not paying any attention to talk about the show.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
He was the QB who joined in the glee club in the first season. After he graduated a few season later, he came back to the high school to be the assistant director and then took over when the director left on a sabbatical. So... yes, sort of, but depends on which season/part of the season you're talking about.

Is Corey to most cursed name in Hollywood? If I were a parent, I wouldn't let my son Corey anywhere near the entertainment biz. Or just skip the name altogether.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
Yes, just an accidental overdose. You have to believe you are immune to the consequences to die this way after so many hundreds of thousands of drug overdose deaths but he won't be the last. Maybe adding stupidity as a contributing factor to accidental drug overdose is a good idea? He had a beautiful, talented girlfriend, a great job, a promising career and decided to check out with one last drug binge, hard to comprehend.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
Hanson said:
Is Corey to most cursed name in Hollywood? If I were a parent, I wouldn't let my son Corey anywhere near the entertainment biz. Or just skip the name altogether.
Isn't that the truth. It isn't likely any of my ancestors will be talented, considering how I sing and dance, and I didn't name any of my children Corey but I am going to request nobody name a grandchild Corey now, just in case.

I believe in this case, the name was actually Cory but either spelling is to be avoided.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Two years ago. I was lucky enough to get a private "Glee" set tour with my daughter. My daughter was so upset to hear about his death. It was so funny when we met Cory. We met him and a few others cast at the Paramount commissary. He took a picture with her. He was so much taller than her. So he was squatting down and still towered over her. Then a bit later we were watching them film the dance number in the "Glee" auditorium/theatre. During a break he was talking to some people a few seats down. My daughter had a photo she forgot to ask him to sign. She was embarrassed to ask. So I went up and told him that. So as he is signing it he keeps looking at her making faces. It was very funny.RIP

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Everything I've heard about him indicates he was a really nice guy in person as well as on-screen, so your story doesn't surprise me at all, Todd.It's terrible what addiction does to people, and it's just awful when they can't break free of it.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Chris Gerhard said:
We have watched the first 10 episodes or so of the first season of Glee on Blu-ray, not sure whether to continue on or wait, that silly fun show might have a different feel for me now. I don't know if I can laugh at a naive kid that could believe he got his girlfriend pregnant without having sex, now that he is dead in real life. I don't have any idea how the story has developed over the years having never watched an episode before buying the first two seasons on Blu-ray and not paying any attention to talk about the show.
It's been a while since I watched it, but the silly fun show of the first season got overly preachy and a bit soapy after that. Ironic what happened with one of its stars.

Matthew Morrison (the actor who plays the director of the glee club) was on Hollywood Game Night, a new game show, last night. One of the questions he got was about James Gandolfini, which I found a little freaky, especially after this. (I assume the show was taped before his death.)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Sad situation. Addiction can be a really tough thing to deal with, no matter much outside help, intervention type things you might be put through, the only solution is the addict stopping on their own.

Addicts can hide their behavior very well, although it sounds like most of the cast/crew knew what was going on. Still doesn't matter, the user has to make the final decision to stop or continue. No matter what outside influences may come into play, the addict has the final decision.

Sadly this one turned out badly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks