RIP: Annette Funicello

Discussion in 'Movies' started by RobertR, Apr 8, 2013.

1. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

2. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    I was just thinking about her. I've been meaning to put on Back to the Beach, a fun bad movie. Well, and the older films too... they are much better and I've yet to break the plastic on any of those. Summer nearing...

Yeah, Annette was the prettiest. I love her mention in Stand by Me.

RIP :(

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I was more of a fan of Darlene...but I appreciate what Annette brought to the Mickey Mouse Club and other Disney vehicles by way of talent and personality.

And while I love both the Sherman Brothers and Annette, I never really cared for Tall Paul. Nevertheless, Annette scored the first top-ten hit ever for a female artist on the Rock N Roll charts with that single.

We will miss her.

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Never a walk in the park considering what she, and the rest of the family, dealt with...but still painful.

5. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    If you were a fan of beach movies, the Disney Mickey Mouse Club, or any of the numerous works she put out.. Annette will be missed.

I will always appreciate her for the underrated 80s screwball comedy "Back to the Beach"

http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/annette-funicello-dies-mickey-mouse-club/

[video]http-~~-//youtu.be/KyakKVH1zy4[/video]

If you've never seen it, the opening 10 minutes still absolutely kills me. "I'm afraid" "You're afraid of lunch?"

[video]http-~~-//youtu.be/f8sKlyJVtxM[/video]

Annette, you'll be missed.

[​IMG]

6. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    She'll always be a Mousketeer and a beach movie actress to me. I remember those beach films very fondly. She will definitely be missed. :(

7. Bob_S.

Bob_S. Supporting Actor

How so very sad. About a month and a half ago I was watching a couple of her Beach movies on Netflix and wondered if she was still alive. So I Googled her and saw a video about her and and her MS condition, wow she was just a shell of what she used to be, I would never have reconized her. She actually started to feel the effects of the disease during the making of Back To The Beach. She was so beautiful in those Skippy ads! She will be sorely missed.

8. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Great scene in Good Morning Vietnam with Robin Williams watching (I think) Beach Blanket Bingo with that Vietmanese family.

I'd forgotten about Tall Paul. I used to play that when I did goldie oldies. I grew to like the song after many plays. "...he's my AAAAaaaalllll!" lol

I remembered why I was thinking of Annette and Back to the Beach. It was the passed weekend, was watching Gilligan's Island and remembered Skipper and Gilligan have parts in Back to the Beach. Also, Wally and Beav. .. yeah, that Afraid of Lunch thing is funny. And Skippy peanut butter, etc.

9. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    In light of his passing, I'm reminded of Ebert's glowing review of "Back to the Beach"

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/back-to-the-beach-1987

I admit, I saw in it the same thing he did; a film that poked fun at all of the beach movies, 60s TV, and yet it did so in such a way that it never crossed into mean spirited... the moment with Gilligan and the Skipper, the puns about turning into people who sell; the jabs about how the early 60s/late 50s beach movies were so chaste..

It's on my schedule to watch with the kids this weekend, hopefully they enjoy parts of it as much as I did.

10. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    ^ wow. Would have never thought Rog would have liked that one. They do kind of a parody of him and Siskel at one point...

I watched Back2theBeach yesterday. It's been so many years but so much was familiar. I think I watched it a lot on cable. I know what my biggest DISLIKE was at the time, that kid. I just found him annoying and on the screen way too much. But now, I don' thave a prob with him. Not the best young actor of the time, but he is funny and appropriate. Also, the crazy dancing mohawked dude playing the sax during "Jamaica Sky". what was up with that guy?! lol My biggest LIKE was the daughter. I think that actress was on a soap or something. She was about perfect a girl as you could find. I"m sure I watched the movie a lot in my 20s just to see her. The music is all fun.. kind of LOVED the strong 80s sounding"Fun fun fun:" song over the closing credits. makes me want to actually go to beach as soon as possible. Maybe go back in time and go to the beach of the 80s! Gilligan as a bitter bartender was probably my favorite cameo along with wally and the beav. Really, this holds up very well. Plus, you can get it paired with The Kids in the Hall Brain Candy, which is what I have.

11. PatW

PatW Screenwriter

Patricia
    Rest in peace Annette. I have fond memories of her.

12. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    She was my favorite Mouseketeer and I saw her sing at Disneyland once. That was probably late 50's. I got her autograph, which of course, I don't have any more.

I remember seeing a Garfield strip about Annette. Garfield is sitting in the easy chair watching the tv, when Jon walks by and says "how cute, he's watching the MM Club"

After Jon leaves, Garfield continues watching and says "Shake it, Annette."

No disrespect meant, but she did make an impression on many a young boy, myself included.

Goodbye Annette.