Rio Grande review online

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by oscar_merkx, Oct 23, 2002.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

2. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I was wondering what happened to this release. Best Buy had "The Quiet Man" & "High Noon", but no "Rio Grande". I also hadn't seen any reviews on "Rio Grande" yet. I thought that maybe this release had been cancelled. It sounds like a quality disc, but I'd still like to see a review that talks more about the picture quality, before I pick it up.

3. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I have it, but frankly I was so upset with
    the quality of The Quiet Man that I
    opted not to review it.
    Also, Artisan totally disregards subtitles and
    that is a problem for me.
    We shall see. If I have time this week maybe
    I'll review it.

4. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I can certainly understand your POV Ron, hopefully by the time next week rolls around, you have changed your mind
    Cheers
    [​IMG]

5. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    I went out and purchased both High Noon and Rio Grande, although I had both earlier incarnations.

High Noon is abysmal and not at all Representative of the film. Viewed a bit of the extant RG, and decided not to even open the new one, which will be returned.

Artisan is spending more time and energy on packaging than on their films.

These people might just as well be selling plastic combs.

RAH

6. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

7. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    RAH,
    My eyes might not be as critically inclined as your trained eyes, but I thought Hign Noon video presentation was better than the previously released dvd and was a big improvement audio wise in comparison to the old dvd.

The latest Rio Grande dvd was also an improvement along the same level over the previously released dvd. However, the big part of this latest dvd release is hearing Maureen O'Hara's commentary. After listening to her stories, you can see why John Ford and John Wayne loved her so much and really enjoyed working with her. This black and white film really captured her beauty.

Crawdaddy

8. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    These films have a major problem with digital over-processing, to a point at which virutally nothing is left of the original film.

RAH

9. Rain

Rain Producer

10. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

For sure, Fartisan's High Noon DVD is about 1 million light-years from looking 'film-like'. [​IMG] Sure it's clean and sharp, but at what cost? I recall Mr Harris' comments about Warner's North By Northwest DVD being cleaned up to the point of eradicating precious film-grain (our "friend" [​IMG] ) but I quite like the work (in home video terms) that was done on that title, but Artisan do things with their transfers that boggle the mind. I'd like to be more positive, but ya gots to says whats ya feels.
    G.C.M

11. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

The High Noon transfer just did not look right to me and that is why I was surprised to see all the positive reviews that this DVD has received. I am glad that my eyes were not playing tricks on me. The DVD sure is watchable, but doesn't in any way compare to some of the recent black-and-white transfers from Warner.

12. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Deepak,
    Who is comparing the High Noon dvd release to Warner's recent dvd transfers? Also, I think most have recognized that the High Noon transfer is far from being very good. However, it was still a slight improvement video wise over the previous dvd release with the audio and extras being the big difference between the two dvd releases. Hopefully, in the future, a more measurerable improvement can be seen when a new video transfer can take place in more capable hands.

Crawdaddy