What's new

Ridicule is Pan&Scan only? (1 Viewer)

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
I wanted to buy "Ridicule" that is coming out on Monday but it looks like Mirmax managed to get a pan & scan only version? That would be very sad.

Ron

Matt Shiv

Agent
I would certainly hope this is not true, especially since I've seen it in widescreen on IFC (or perhaps it was Sundance?). Buena Vista has been pretty good with their Miramax catalog titles. Even though they almost never have extras, they have been doing 16:9 transfers for films that cannot possibly have a big audience and selling them cheaply. (I was floored to pick up "Ethan Frome" in a new anamorphic transfer --- I half expected I was the only person in the country to be excited it was coming to dvd!)

I went to dvdempire.com to see if they had boxart posted for these titles for next week, but they do not. I was looking to pick up "Ridicule", "Unzipped", and "The Lovers On The Bridge" in the upcoming weeks, but I'll pass if they aren't widescreen transfers.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Yep, I deleted orders for

Lovers on the Bridge
Microcosmos
Sonatine

due to the inability to determine if they were 1.33:1 or OAR. If reviews indicate they are in the correct A.R. I'll pick them up later, but as of right now just three more lost sales.

- Walter.

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew, I hope you are right, but according to these sites "Ridicule" is Pan&Scan:

dvdpricesearch.com
digitaleyes.com
dvdplanet.com
cduniverse.com
bestprices.com
buy.com

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
I should also add that none of the sites has a screenshot of the back of the movie. That would help figuiring out what the format really is.

Andrew D F

Stunt Coordinator

Don't worry. I am. :)

I would trust info from the marketing site run by the distributor long before I'd trust any of those e-tailers. I've never been steered wrong by video.com when it comes to specs for BVHE DVD releases.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
If BVHE is the Buena Vista website, then I wouldn't necessarily trust it. Last year, it wrongly claimed that "Belle de jour", "Purple Noon", and one other film were 16x9 enhanced when they turned out to be letterboxed (Belle de jour was simply a port from a previous LD transfer). There was the same pre-release speculation, as some retailers were listing these titles as "letterboxed", and most of us trusted the Buena Vista site... to our detriment.

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
If someone gets this movie during the weekend, could you confirm the format of this movie?

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
Nobody got or seen the disc? I would love to know if it is indeed Pan&Scan or not.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
"Microcosmos" is 1.33:1. That's it's intended aspect ratio (the LD was 1.33:1). I think it was made for French television. Sonatine SHOULD be widescreen as the Rolling Thunder LD was.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I received an e-mail from DVD Empire stating that Sonatine & Microcosmos have been delayed with no new release date announced.

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
Someone at DVDTalk just wrote this:

So that looks promising. Now we just need to figure out about Sonatine.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Good news.

I just got back from a business trip and Ridicule had arrived while I was away. I just put it in the player and can confirm that it is most assuredly 16x9 enhanced. Hopefully we won't see another PURPLE MOON-like release from Miramax-ZOË.

-greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks