What's new

RHODA Season 2 Is In the Works! (1 Viewer)

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator
According to a posting by one of the Shout Factory staff members, Rhoda Season 2 is in the works. They've listened to the fans and are doing a great deal of pre-production work to rectify the problems which caused much fan indignation over the quality of the first season set.

I absolutely love this show, and had assumed after the debacle surrounding Season 1, that there was little to no hope of seeing additional seasons.

I'm glad to know that there WILL likely be a continuation of the series, but better yet, that they are working aggressively to correct their previous mistakes.

Here's a link to the referenced posting: http://www.shoutfactory.com/community/1992/thread.aspx

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
This is great news. I will defin. buy Season 2 ... I want every season to be honest. Something tells me we could get all the seasons of Rhoda released before we get all of MTM.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
It's mind boggling that using syndicated prints could be called a "mistake" at this late date. You'd think any company involved in putting out TV series on DVD would know that fans want complete, uncut prints.

But, at least they're moving in the right direction. What they need to do is go back and do Season 1 over again.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Speaking of "Rhoda" I wanna take this time to mention that season one of the show is currently available for free online viewing on Hulu. All season one episodes are there, except for "The Honeymoon", due to legal reasons.

But, there's a catch: 5 of the episodes on Hulu are different from the way they appeared on the DVD:

"You Can Go Home Again" is cut on Hulu, but uncut on the DVD. But, the following 4 episodes, which were cut on the DVD, are, get this: UNCUT on Hulu: "The Lady in Red", "The Shower", "I'm a Little Late, Folks", and "Anything Wrong?".

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator
"Mistake" was my word not theirs...perhaps I should have used a more appropriate term.
Semantics aside, I'm glad that they are at least listening to the fans and making a concerted effort to do better the second time around.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
That's nice and all but they should have put that effort into the FIRST season in order to ensure fans were happy and would buy the set. Usually if the first season doesn't sell well then there isn't a second season release. It's as if some of the companies don't even realize they're often robbing themselves of future sales.

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator
I fully agree with that sentiment and am baffled about why they didn't apply that logic to the first set. Several people that post on this board and others cancelled their pre-orders when the reviews of S1 came out.So they unquestionably lost sales because of it.

I don't have the Father Knows Best set, but didn't something similar happen with the first set of that series as far as using cut episodes for S1, and then full length eps for the follow up season?

Their reasoning escapes me....,but on a selfish note, I REALLY want all five seasons of Rhoda uncut....so I'm glad to see them putting in the effort.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by vnisanian2001

Speaking of "Rhoda" I wanna take this time to mention that season one of the show is currently available for free online viewing on Hulu. All season one episodes are there, except for "The Honeymoon", due to legal reasons.
What Legal Reason? Music?

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Picked up Season 2 today at Best Buy (.com had it listed for 28.99) and the front cover sticker proclaims : ORIGINAL FULL LENGTH EPISODES!! So nice to know that Season 3 will be out this summer also!

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Here's a link to a review over at Sitcoms Online:

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/rhodaseason2dvdreview.html

Looks like Shout stepped up so as not to have a repeat of the season one set. No bonus features on the set, but I don't care as long as the episodes are complete and uncut.

Got my set today and am looking forward to sitting down and watching it. It will have to wait a bit while I finish season eight of Hawaii Five-O.

Hopefully seasons 3-5 of Rhoda will be as good as this latest set.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Watched the First two episodes last nite and the transfers were incredible. They look amazing. Do not pass up purchasing this box set.

Ep 1 featured Ruth Gordon and EP 2 featured Joan Van Ark (very cool seeing her portray someone different than her Knots Landing/ Dallas character.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
My problem is that I skipped the first season set due to the horrific A/V quality and the fact that most of the eps in that set were derived from the syndicated cuts. So do I purchase the second season without a first season?? I don't think so!! If Shout will at least let us know that Season One will be made available "fixed" at some point -- and *not* just in a future "complete series" box -- then I'll happily pounce on this set. Truth be told, Season 2 was probably the best overall year for the show anyway.

Mike*SC

Second Unit
Boy, it seems very unlikely to me that a "fixed" season one will ever be released for a low-demand series like this. It would be very expensive to produce, and most of the potential audience already owns it! I'm not trying to be a naysayer, just being realistic.

Word here almost dissuaded me from buying the set, but I'm very glad I bought it anyway. Sure, I'd have loved better quality, and especially the complete cuts, but I found the set delightful, anyway. Not making any excuses for anybody, just saying the charm of the show shone through, even in less-than-ideal presentation.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I finished watching all of season 2 and I must say the set is great. I'm very, very pleased. I can't wait for season 3.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
MTM, Rhoda, on and on and on...

I wanna know when the first season of PHYLLIS is coming out???????????????

I thought Phyllis was much funnier than Rhoda's series. For the first season. All the changes in the second season of Phyllis really lost something in the show for me, but I would definately buy a season one Phyllis release!!

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'd love to have Phyllis as well. If Shout were to release it, I hope that they do as good of a job with it as they have done with Season 2 of Rhoda.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Seasons 1 and 2 of Rhoda were alright, then the show went into the tank with the breakup of Joe and Rhoda. One thing though about the first couple seasons- Why do we always have to see Valerie Harper grabbing David Groh's ass? It's really annoying and totally uncalled for. Women's lib was in full swing in the mid 70's, the censors must have OK'd ass grabbing on TV and the Rhoda producers went way over the top with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks