What's new

RhinoCables, etc. (1 Viewer)

John Doran

Screenwriter
I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the relative quality of the cables offered by various online interconnect-vendors.

How do RhinoCables.com BetterCables.com and WickedCables.com compare?

Are there any others worth checking out?

Thanks.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
What kind of cables are you looking for?

I use the Rhinocables subwoofer, component and digital cables. Great cables for a reasonable price. Have no reservations recomending them to all.

IMO for the above uses(video,sub and digital) they (Rhino) would be hard to beat performance wise. More so when you figure in the low price. Definate step up from Wickedcables.

For analog audio cables there are lots to choose from. I use mix of Kimber, DIY and Nordost.

Others custom cable makers:

Avcable.com

Boldercables.com

Diycable.com

Catcables.com

KustomKables.com

Randy G

Second Unit
FYI, there's a company down in Atlanta run by one of the DIYers on HTF. Not only are his designs total quality and gorgeous to look at(has that fabric mesh and shrinkwrap on the outside), but his prices are the lowest I've found on the net. You really should check out:
rutledgeaudiodesign.com

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Randy,

Checked out those cables.They are not the cheapest on the net! Think the cheapest would have to be KScables and possibly KustomKables.com if you are looking for Canare cables.

The Rhinocables are also cheaper. IMO They are also offer better cables (Belden cables)

Other makers of similar Canare cables for price comparison would be:

Kustomkables

Wickedcables.com

Kscables.com

Cscables.com

Bettercables.com (think they still offer their Canare products)

Cobaltcables.com

Plus a bunch of E-bay sellers who are very price competitive.

J

John Morris

I own and use Outlaw Audio's Pure Copper Analog cables for my audio interconnects. They are an extremely high quality cable for a very reasonable cost. In most cases, they will cost you less than half of the others mentioned in this thread, and offer you performance, IMO, at least equivalent to the boutique cables mentioned here. In my experience, silver coated copper offers no sonic improvement over pure copper for audio. However, IMO, pure silver cables do, so if you are interested in that sound, I'd check the pure silver Catcables out. The down side to the low pricing of the Outlaw cables is that they do not allow returns. However, if you buy a pair, test them, and then do not like them, I will buy them from you for your cost. If you decide to take me up on this offer, please email me first. Here is a link to the cable info and a picture of the actual cables(the cable ends come wrapped in plastic).
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/cables.html

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Mark,
I am the co-owner of Rutledge Audio Design that Randy was referring to. I just wanted to comment on your statement that the Rhino Cables were cheaper than our RAD Cables. If you look more closely, we are charging the exact same price for component video cables (I just didn't list a price for 1m). Also, our digital coax and analog audio cables are equal to or less expensive than Rhino Cables on a per length basis. No big deal. Just wanted to clear up any possible confusion. I won't get into a Belden vs. Canare war. I'll save that for the rest of you guys!:)
Also, last time I checked, Chris White's Kustom Kables is only offering component video cables, and I believe once his supply runs out he may be done (per a conversation with him).
I definitely think Kevin is the low price leader at this time!
The only Canare based products that BetterCables offers at this time is their speaker cables. Unless they have leftovers from before the SS series came out.
Brian Bunge
Rutledge Audio Design

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Brian,

I was responding to Randys post where he stated that your company was the cheapest.

Kscables are cheaper. Kustomkables are cheaper (while they are still open for business). There are also sellers on E-bay that sell Canare cables and some are cheaper.

Avcable.com is also cheaper (probably the cheapest). They use Gepco cables which is simialr in performance to the Belden cables.

The RhinoCables are currently on sale therefore they are also cheaper at this time(video cables at least).

I am a fan of Canare cables. So I'm not going to put them down. I used to use them in(DIY).They are a lot better than most of the retail cables out there. Very good performance/price ratio and you know what you are getting.

Yes, the Rhino analog audio and Digital cables are more expensive. They also use a better cable so the price is justified.

The digital cable uses the Teflon insulated Belden 1695a cable with additional shield. The analog audio and subwoofer cable use Belden 89259 which not only uses Teflon inulation but also has a bare copper shield (not tinned copper) and a Teflon jacket. The raw cable itself costs 3 times as much so perfomance aside the cost increase is justified. I use the 89259 cables in my system (DIY) so I'm familiar with the cost.

Yes, you are correct. Bettercables still offers (or did recently)left over canare stock.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
John,

Just to clarify things. I dont think there has been a boutique cable mentioned here. Most of the cables mentioned are all broadcast standard cables. In other words Professional cables and connectors. The only ones that come close (debatable?)are the Bettercables and catcables.

I would agree with your statement re silver cables. If I was in the market for silver them the catcables would be on my short list. I use Paradigm speakers so I play it safe and use quality bare copper cables.

I agree the Outlaw cables are a great buy. Havnt tried them myself but the initial feed back has been very good. The low prices are a bonus. Heard they are coming out with a digital cable soon, is it true?

Randy G

Second Unit
Mark,
Well, if you wanna be persnickety, my statement was absolutely true; rutledgeaudiodesign.com WAS the cheapest cable company "I'VE found" on the net, but I'm happy to see that you've made a much more conserted effort in your search for the absolute lowest prices. Thank you for your effort.
That aside, how many of the other manufacturers would even take the time to respond to threads such as this?...thanks, Brian! And thanks again for your homework, Mark.
Randy

Mark Rich

Second Unit
If I was nitpicking then I could consider both yours and Brians posts as advertising. Think KScables got cautioned against it (See their post below).

I was merely correcting your post. By all means mention the company but dont list them as having the lowest pricing on the net when they dont.

As for Brian coming on here and attemting to clarify things. CatCables is on here all the time. Doug W shares info all the time. To his credit he also puts up with my flak as well:)I'm sure others are lurking here too.

The problem is where do you draw the line between sharing of info and marketing. The other practise that is becoming common here is the habit of trolling for sales leads. How would you like to start getting e-mails from sales people peddling their wares every time you post a question in a forum? Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks