RG6 or 59?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by JoseLH, Oct 31, 2006.

1. JoseLH

JoseLH Agent

What's actually better for component? I've been hearing different things from different people about these two. Can either be used for subwoofer cable?

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    RG6 for both. Comp. cables are cheap enough, so I didn't bother making those. But I used RG6 to make my 30' sub. cable.

3. JoseLH

JoseLH Agent

So it does work for the subs! Thanks! This is what is on the cables in my walls. i just now got to take a look, they have HD 59 on them with the words "High Definition" on them instead of the usual RG.

4. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

My take, especially for component, is, if you've got one, use it. If you're going to buy, get the RG-6. If you're doing HD-SDI or something like that, use the RG-6. If you're doing SD, then pretty much anything you do is okay with RG-59 - unless, maybe, you're doing really long runs (>200 feet.)

Leo

5. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

Either should work fine for sub cabling. RG6 is slightly more shielded.

6. CameronJ

CameronJ Stunt Coordinator

RG59 has a 20 gauge inner conductor, while RG6 has an 18 gauge connector. This ends up translating into a thicker cable overall (.242 vs. .332 inches outside diameter) and less loss on the cable. I believe RG6 has a signal loss of around 7db over 100 feet while RG59 is around 10db over 100 feet.

I also don't believe that the amount of shielding is included in cable specification, rather you can buy RG59 or RG6 with different levels of shielding. I think Belden makes both RG59 and RG6 with about 5 or 6 different types of shielding.

For longer runs - RG6 is generally preferred. However, if you are going short distances and need a flexible cable, a high-quality RG59 may be better (as RG6 is not nearly as flexible).

7. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

...though if you really need flexibility, I know Beldin also makes versions of RG-59 (and maybe RG-6) that are stranded. They really are flexible, but they also really limit your options for terminating the cable. (Compression connectors are right-out. A number of crimp connectors are out, too.)

Leo

8. JoseLH

JoseLH Agent

Well, my RG 59's have been giving me a hard time with finding connectors. I had to go to a local Home Theater store to get RCA connectors that fit right!

9. homthtr

homthtr Supporting Actor

Yes the Center dicore on the 59 is much smaller then the RG6. Much less insulation.

If you use Compression fittings Thomas & Betts part #SNS59 is the correct f-connector.

http://www.mjsales.net/items.asp?Fam...=263&Cat2ID=90

Then you could convert the F-connector to RCA for your sub with an F-RCA

[​IMG]