RF Stoppers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickK, Feb 27, 2003.

1. NickK

NickK Auditioning

Question... might be real simple, but I want to ask anyway.

Can someone tell me or point me towards info on RF Stoppers and if they are really good for your system, really improve quality,, etc? I saw a good deal on a set of ten, and I was wondering it it really improves things to use them.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Uhhhh... these sound like a bit of a gimmick.

There are power strips for your AC power that offer "RF Filtering". The theory is that the long power wires act like AM antenna and may feed AM signals into your equipment. I've yet to hear of anybody with this problem so I'm not really sure it's worth much.

A much more common/real problem is the CATV coax picking up a 60 hz humm from power wires and creating a low humm noise in your speakers during quiet passages. But to solve this you WANT to pass the RF signals (thats what CATV signals are) and stop the 60 hz signals on the CATV coax.

3. NickK

NickK Auditioning

4. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

You can get these at Radio Shack. And you don't have to buy 10 of them at a time.

5. NickK

NickK Auditioning

But they do work? And are beneficial?

6. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Yes they do work. Some people on HTF have used them and reported positive results. These are standard equipment on many personal computers for both video and AC power. But I'm reminded of an old adage: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". One thing is for sure; Don't pay $17.50 a piece for them.

7. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

These RF stoppers are also on Radio Shack's new line of audio/video cables. Check out the photo.

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

their effectiveness really depends upon whether you have any RF that's infiltrated your lines and whether your equipment needs 'assistance' in dealing with it. it's really a very tough call, but at least with RS, there's no s/h and their return policy is excellent. there are a variety of types of ferrite beads that work on different areas. try a google search on the terms 'ferrite beads' 'choke' and get a general overview.

9. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

I would recommend you be very judicious in your use of these RF devices. RS, the low cost option, is your best bet for any audio/video use "tryouts".
    I would never recommend them on video cables, analog interconnects, or digital coax cables. If you want to use them in your system, try them on your AC cords, fixed, or aftermarket. Whatever you have.... your RPTV's fixed cord for instance.

These things do work..... sometimes for the worse :.(

I have purchased the same Audio Advisor RF "snap-on" from the likes of Audioquest in the past.........

.....they now reside on my 2 'puter AC feeds, 2 refrigerator AC cords, and a puter printer and stuff like that. Not on the A/V gear. These things can choke a "non-RF plagued system to death", IMHO.
    But they do work ;^)

BOK

10. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Brian,

Care to elaborate on "They can Choke a NON RF Plagued system
    to death!" ?

I run RF Chokes on my LP RCA's and on the In/Out RCA-XLR's
    from my Pre to my Tube Ultra-Q to my Power Amp and I noticed
    no audible degredation in sound at all.

11. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

i just clicked on that audioadvisor link...sheesh...5 bucks each plus s/h? Well it is red...very striking and gives that 'je ne sais quoi' look to your equipment. Important if you spend more time admiring the back of your equipment rather than sitting down and listening or watching TV.
    Well a click to their 'informative' specifications gives...